• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Starter Speculation/Discussion Thread

Which starter would you use?

• Chespin

Votes: 845 26.8%
  • Fennekin

Votes: 1,329 42.2%
  • Froakie

Votes: 849 27.0%
  • NONE, Dunsparce looks better

Votes: 127 4.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Icegaze

There's some post in this thread that mentioned the Kanto starters would be given by Professor Sycamore in Lumiose City, so it's likely in the earlier half of the game.

According to the leaks, it's after the first Gym and before the second.

Brilliant! Thanks for the confirmation. Charmender in Pokemon X, here I come!! Wooooooot!

SergantGold

Based Feebas
I wasn't saying that a male version can't exist (female Mr. Mime anyone? lol =P).

But I think Braixen looks whimsical and fairly feminine to justify having a name inspired by vixen, but Delphox on the other hand seems to have a gender neutral design and be rather plain. It just looks like a run of the mill mage and not any kind of fox inspired by the oracles of Delphi.

In basic terms I'm saying its design and name don't mix well. The design is not feminine enough given a name inspired from the oracles of Delphi. Just a personal opinion though.

If someone dislikes a pokemon because of a name that doesn't technically match up with what the pokemon is based on shouldn't be. Dislike it because you think it looks fat or something dumb

Judai-and-sho

The Best of the Best
I suppose these are real. Greninja doesn't really look like a bad Pokemon. It just doesn't really feel like a believable final evo. Ironically, I liked one of the fakes better. I don't think there was ever anything about Fenniken I'd like so no real issues here. The Grass starter looks kinda beast but IDK, it feels off. I suppose we gotta accept these now but meh on the designs.

malcolm_n

Pokemon Collector
Which then confirms Delphox as Fire/Psychic? Hoorah. I can finally round out my Fire team more appropriately. This is going to be awesome with both Delphox and Mega Charizard X.

One thing that kinda gets me is that they all have the double effectiveness against their other type. Grass + fighting vs. Water + dark vs. Fire + psychic? I guess GF just wanted to keep things skewed in this case rather than even them out. Fair enough.

Either way, the 12th can't come fast enough.

Tytus

Iron Islander
If someone dislikes a pokemon because of a name that doesn't technically match up with what the pokemon is based on shouldn't be. Dislike it because you think it looks fat or something dumb

It's like complaining about Tyranitar because it looks like Godzilla and not a T-rex, or Mr. Mime because it looks like a clown. This is nothing new in Pokemon. There's nothing molten about Moltres, it's enflamed. Electrode isn't an electrode, it's a Pokeball. Tauros isn't a bull, it's a bison. Etc. etc. etc. Just because Delphox doesn't look like an oracle of Delphi doesn't mean it's a bad name. It's Psychic and Delphi has a "f" sound in it. There's your correlation.

Blade93

personally I don't like chespin's "final evolution" it looks too different, they normally look different but not that much so. I would like it to be grass and fighting though, I love breloom, he needs a partner in crime.

Dragrath

Dragon Onslaught
Thing is, there's a whole bunch of pictures of all three starters at different angles and screens, and from separate leakers, each with a bunch of images supporting that they have the games and are taking pictures of various other things. Normally it is good to assume fake until confirmed, but in this case, these really are the real deal.
If that is the case these final forms feel tacked on they fail to carry elements used by their first 2 forms through such as Fennekin's stick or Froakie's clouds for instance. Even the gen 5 starters carried through with their design...
personally I don't like chespin's "final evolution" it looks too different, they normally look different but not that much so. I would like it to be grass and fighting though, I love breloom, he needs a partner in crime.
very true... though with Chespin I'm not sure why...

Venu

I am so sad about these final evolutions. I'm not one to hate new pokemon or anything, in fact I've never disliked any final starter evolutions this much I think haha. Just... bleh. I think my biggest problem with delphox and chesnaut is that they're too humanoid, especially delphox. I really don't like that dress thing, makes it look like it's wearing clothes, and like it's too bulky/constricted to do anything but stand there. The giant ear poofs also look a little silly, but I saw that coming. Chesnaut looks like he's wearing manmade armor, but my biggest issue is that he's so different than the other two. Not even the same color scheme, and I don't understand the mummy-wrap looking parts. I know lots of pokemon have clothe-like parts, but not many starters. I guess I just prefer the monster/animal aspects of previous starters. Greninja.. is fine. He's actually cool looking.. Without the tongue. Tongue scarfs just seem gross to me.. enough so that I don't know who I'm going to pick.

Shraeder

It's Lit
It's trying to learn Fire Pledge, which now has 80 BP instead of 50.

Mystical Fire is a 65 BP move that lowers special attack.

That's really nice, now we can actually use the Pledge moves. In White my level 100 Samurott couldn't OHKO a level 71 Krookodile with Water Pledge XD

Golden_Latias

#SlayQueenSlay
People DO realize there's an entire egg group for humanoid Pokemon, right? :/

There's nothing saying a Pokemon can't look humanoid.

Yveltal96

A little more human

^^^ this all this. Everyone is complaining and complaining about these guys. So many people (not necessarily on this site) have said things like "wow they really are running out of ideas or something, these guys look like crap" GF doesn't just smear **** on paper and call it good guys, especially with starters. They are supposed to be the main selling points of the game, they put a lot of thought into these guys design and stat wise.

Cresselia92

SM Ash = New Ash

Exactly. Why I don't see anyone complaining about Blaziken being humanoid, for example?

I, for one, I'm perfectly ok with Delphox being humanoid. We already have Ninetales, the Eevee family and Zoroark to be more similar to foxes. Did we really need another one? At least Delphox is more original and I bet that if we got yet another quadrupedal fox people would have complained because of it being "Ninetales 2.0", like Zorua and Fennekin were considered "Vulpix rip-offs"...

Golden_Latias

#SlayQueenSlay
Exactly. Why I don't see anyone complaining about Blaziken being humanoid, for example?

I, for one, I'm perfectly ok with Delphox being humanoid. We already have Ninetales, the Eevee family and Zoroark to be more similar to foxes. Did we really need another one? At least Delphox is more original and I bet that if we got yet another quadrupedal fox people would have complained because of it being "Ninetales 2.0", like Zorua and Fennekin were considered "Vulpix rip-offs"...
Exactly. Granted, it likely would not have been the same people, but that's how it always is. The Pokemon fanbase is so enormous that I'm sure somebody would have.

Meanwhile, had they gone the route where its evo was essentially Braixen with more "stuff," people would have complained that it's just that. Braixen with more "stuff." Or maybe even "overdesigned," depending on how much "stuff" we're talking about. I know I'd be among that group. Personally, I've never been a fan of Pokemon that change only or two things and get bigger and meaner when they evolve, like the Bulbasaur line, Chikorita line, etc.

I think the argument for Blaziken being okay is going to be that it looks proportional and whatnot, whereas Delphox has a tiny head and huge, triangular body, but I think Delphox would look a little weird if its head was bigger than what it was. Besides, Gardevoir's triangular, and people like her.

bobandbill

Winning Smile
Staff member
Super Mod
Basically - it was doomed if it was this way, doomed the other. People would like it one way, or hate it the other. And some people just don't know how they would have liked it. =p

KingKaijuice

I think people are just in the weird combination of anticipation, excitement and disappointment. Since whenever theirs a new Pokemon, everyone and their mother has an idea what they think the new ones will look like. Then when they gave us starters, I'm sure even more of the fanbase thought they knew what the starters would be. So when they get the exact opposite, their brains melt for a while. But like every gen, they will get over it. The disappointed people are the minority of course.

Besides the best part about Pokemon is that there is 600+! Don't like the new ones? You have a whole city of Pokemon to journey with.

Chespin1

We go through this with every generation.Many people hate the pokemon at first but then they get the games,they play them,maybe watch the anime a little and boom they like the designs.Its been that way since at least the 4th gen

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.