• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Starters Discussion Thread v2

Who is your favorite starter?

• Grass-type, Chespin

Votes: 247 21.3%
  • Fire-type, Fennekin

Votes: 328 28.3%
  • Water-type, Froakie

Votes: 484 41.8%
  • None of the above. GOOMY!

Votes: 100 8.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Torosiken

This is a title.
At first I am confused (most because of Greninja and Delphox)
In the end I chose Froakie after I read that I can get Fennekin in the post game :3

RNG_Reporter

I totally forgot about the post game starter.

I have a feeling Delphox was one hell of a starter in-game. Fire always is, and that combo and movepool just excites me.

Chesnaught seems a bit boring, so I don't regret not choosing it.. but I do love walls, absorbing hits is the best.

Greninja was solid at first.. started getting a bit meh mid-way through; maybe because Charmeleon/Charizard, just seemed to excite me more, and that bulk and power. But once Greninja got a decent movepool going.. it really does OHKO or almost OHKOs a lot. It's just really annoying how fragile it is.

Reminds me of Weavile.

The design is wonderful in game, his animations are really fun, and I personally always pick Pokemon that I feel I can see myself with in real life.. and he fits it perfectly.

He would be one hell of a sports teammate for me lol. Good chill Pokemon.

PsychoIncarnate

Quick question: I just caught a Protean Frogadier. What are the better EVs and moves I should go for, knowing that Greninja is a great Spe. Attack and Speed pokemon?
For anyone who doesn't know what Protean does, it allows to change type to the move the user used, ex: Greninja uses Ice Beam and becomes Ice type, allowing for extra STAB damage on EVERY MOVE. It's an OP Ability but can be its own downfall if used incorrectly.

Were are people getting these Protean Greninjas?

Friend safari or something?

MechaBulba

King of the Monsters
What's a good nature for chespin? Is he meant to be used as a wall, attacker or sp. attacker?

I am going to train mine as an Adamant Attacker with a secondary focus on Defence.
A purely defensive Chesnaught will be able to sponge neutral and ineffective attacks, however with 6 weaknesses mostly SP. Attacker types then even with that bulk without a supportive team built around it you may find it falling quick.

You could run a gimmick defensive crazy with moves like
- Pain Split
- Leech Seed
- Spiky Shield
- RockSlide/ Stone Edge / Hammer Arm/ Power-up Punch

I myself am stuck thinking of a movepool. Just can't decide on moves/held item its cursed with the 4 move limit.
Maybe...

Item: Leftovers
- Seed Bomb
- Hammer Arm / Power-up Punch
- Stone Edge / Rock Slide
- Spiky Shell?

I could drop a Stab and maybe run....

Item: Leftovers
- Seed Bomb / Hammer Arm
- Stone Edge / Rock Slide
- Pain Split / Leech Seed
- Spiky Shell

Quick question: I just caught a Protean Frogadier. What are the better EVs and moves I should go for, knowing that Greninja is a great Spe. Attack and Speed pokemon?
For anyone who doesn't know what Protean does, it allows to change type to the move the user used, ex: Greninja uses Ice Beam and becomes Ice type, allowing for extra STAB damage on EVERY MOVE. It's an OP Ability but can be its own downfall if used incorrectly.

When I eventually get one I am aiming for....

Timid nature, speed supporting characteristic with secondary training in Sp. Attack
Moves....

- HydroPump/Scald or Surf (but only if you don't battle in Doubles much)
- Dark Pulse
- Extrosensory (to block Fighting types who counter my Dark typing)
- Protective mat / U-Turn

As for an item? Maybe Expert Belt or Life Orb?

Last edited:

Naito

Funny how Froakie went from the least favourite to the most favourite :D Meh, I still like Chespin and Fennekin way more...

XXD17

Draco rex

I have a feeling Delphox was one hell of a starter in-game. Fire always is, and that combo and movepool just excites me.

Chesnaught seems a bit boring, so I don't regret not choosing it.. but I do love walls, absorbing hits is the best.

Greninja was solid at first.. started getting a bit meh mid-way through; maybe because Charmeleon/Charizard, just seemed to excite me more, and that bulk and power. But once Greninja got a decent movepool going.. it really does OHKO or almost OHKOs a lot. It's just really annoying how fragile it is.

Reminds me of Weavile.

The design is wonderful in game, his animations are really fun, and I personally always pick Pokemon that I feel I can see myself with in real life.. and he fits it perfectly.

He would be one hell of a sports teammate for me lol. Good chill Pokemon.

Delphox is an amazing special attacker...it was my first starter in Y and it cleaned house...great special attack, decent special bulk and decent speed makes it a great contender...it's movepool, however, is kind of lacking as it doesn't get thunderbolt, focus blast or energy ball, attacks that just about every other psychic type gets....

Chesnaught is ok...it's very physically bulky and strong but it's just really slow...I'm training up my post game one and it just feels like torterra so far...

Greninja is an interesting one...it's my starter in X...it's speed is AMAZING...it's very fast...however, I have found it to be very frail and not able to hit very hard (I have a jolly nature max attack and it still failed to take out chesnaught with boosted acrobatics)...it would be a wonderful revenge killer or choice user but it's like a combo of sceptile and samurott for me...blistering speed and the inability to hit hard...

TrottingMinccino

Can also jump!
I chose Chespin, and i'm glad i did, his defences saved my hide on numerous occasions, i just love that extra tankage!

Just gotta watch out for flying types though...

thepinguins

Steel Jester
-snip-

-snip-
If you like blocking, pick Aegislash. One of the better Hit and Hide pokemon. You go from a 150 in both defenses to 150 attack to both attacks. Sadly when you're Attack mode, you have a measly 50 in both defenses... Yeah. Aegislash NEEDS to be slow. One of the stranger pokemon to use, but once you get used to how you use him, you'll be tearing through teams a lot. Plus, reducing attack by 2 stages with King's Shield compared to Spiky Shield, which protects and damages.... :/

Zarthos

Breeding Fanatic
Froakie all the way. A dark/water ninja pairs perfectly with the fire/fighting blazkin i'll have from the dlc event.

that....and Fennekin's cry sounds like a chiwawa to me... I will enjoy squishing it.

SageofTruth

Greninja Assassin
Delphox is an amazing special attacker...it was my first starter in Y and it cleaned house...great special attack, decent special bulk and decent speed makes it a great contender...it's movepool, however, is kind of lacking as it doesn't get thunderbolt, focus blast or energy ball, attacks that just about every other psychic type gets....

Chesnaught is ok...it's very physically bulky and strong but it's just really slow...I'm training up my post game one and it just feels like torterra so far...

Greninja is an interesting one...it's my starter in X...it's speed is AMAZING...it's very fast...however, I have found it to be very frail and not able to hit very hard (I have a jolly nature max attack and it still failed to take out chesnaught with boosted acrobatics)...it would be a wonderful revenge killer or choice user but it's like a combo of sceptile and samurott for me...blistering speed and the inability to hit hard...

95 attack vs 128 defense is a huge mountain even with 4x effectiveness. Protean would have probably 1hko it however. If you would have gone special, I think you would notice yourself hitting a lot harder.

EDIT: I have done it!! I have bred my first perfect IV pokemon! I have ultimate froakie in hand.

Last edited:

Joltik-Kid

Careful? Where's the fun in that?
Personally I enjoy Impish Nature Chesnaught... My set might not be that great competitively (Bulk Up, Seed Bomb, Stone Edge, Power-Up Punch). But since I normally play competitive battles in a crazy fashion, I think the set suits me perfectly.

I did manage to get a Female (Timid) Protean Frog off the GTS in exchange for the multiple Ditto's I can get from a Friend Safari (Imposter Ditto is gonna own this Generation; it can tranform into Mega Evolution's, most of you probably knew that) So I might test it out

Shraeder

It's Lit
Anyone else think that Shiny Chesnaught looks a lot more like Quilladin and Chespin than the real deal?

SergantGold

Based Feebas

1. You shoukd have used a special attack, chestnaughts defence stat is astronomical, and Greninja is a special attacker that shoukdnt be Jolly.
2. If used right it hits hard enough, and with protean it is one of the best starters period.

TheCharredDragon

Tis the Hour to Reload
When they announced Genaration 6, out of the three starters, I was obsessed with Chespin. That's it. The whole day I would go, "Chespin, Chespin, CHESPIN!" And I didn't really like Froakie or Fennekin. Especially Froakie. But then, I started using a character that chose Froakie in a roleplay I did with my brother, and also Fennekin for another. And Froakie started to grow on me. Then Nintendo (or was it The Pokemon Company?) released Frogadier and I started to like it more. Then when the Final Evolved Forms were leaked, I liked Greninja. I'll admit that I liked Chesnaught more in design, but I still liked Greninja.

Ironic, isn't it?

But right now, I think I'll just chose on the spot.

I still haven't got X or Y yet though, so I can't wait to get it!

1382422_1401236696777808_1952261684_n.jpg

Started sorting my PC boxes and started with the starters.

Shraeder

It's Lit
When they announced Genaration 6, out of the three starters, I was obsessed with Chespin. That's it. The whole day I would go, "Chespin, Chespin, CHESPIN!" And I didn't really like Froakie or Fennekin. Especially Froakie. But then, I started using a character that chose Froakie in a roleplay I did with my brother, and also Fennekin for another. And Froakie started to grow on me. Then Nintendo (or was it The Pokemon Company?) released Frogadier and I started to like it more. Then when the Final Evolved Forms were leaked, I liked Greninja. I'll admit that I liked Chesnaught more in design, but I still liked Greninja.

Ironic, isn't it?

But right now, I think I'll just chose on the spot.

I still haven't got X or Y yet though, so I can't wait to get it!

If you choose Chespin you'll get a Froakie post game.

Cresselia92

SM Ash = New Ash
It's a shame that it seems that Delphox doesn't have good coverage. I've been trying to breed my starter in order to get some decent Egg moves, but nothing works so far.

It doesn't have access to Focus Blast, it can't learn Energy Ball, it doesn't summon Thunderbolts, it can't gather energy for a Moonblast or a Earth Power... what can it do?

Still, my Delphox can handle most of its opponents and can stomach a Earthquake without many problems, but I wish it could do more. Dark-type Pokemon resistant to Fire attacks are its bane.

Last edited:

chigger

Pokemon Breeder
I am in the wrong tread.

Last edited:

KJv

since torchic is a starter, guess ill just ask this here...
I already downloaded the event torchic but know I want to restart my game, does anyone know if I will be able to download & receive another torchic via event if I choose to restart my game?

Also, is it true that shauna gives us her starter pokemon?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.