• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Starters Discussion Thread v2

Who is your favorite starter?

• Grass-type, Chespin

Votes: 247 21.3%
  • Fire-type, Fennekin

Votes: 328 28.3%
  • Water-type, Froakie

Votes: 484 41.8%
  • None of the above. GOOMY!

Votes: 100 8.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

mew 2000

Shiny Celebi
i choose chespin freaking awesome grass/fighting typing on his final evo plus chespins cute and chesnughts badass

Unredemption

Scald is better than surf. Maybe Greninja has a few egg moves? Like Electric moves.

HA Fletchinder is great for competitive as it's a great Anti-Mega Blaziken. And Acrobatics isn't great on Fletchinder, I tried (And lost)

Yeah I suppose Scald would be a better option. Surf would be useful in-game if you're not planning on running any HM mules. Acrobatics would only be very useful if you're giving it a Flying Gem, otherwise you're probably better off giving it a better hold item.

Firewolf7

I am glad my guess was right of froakie turning into a ninja, fennekin turning into a witch, and chespin turning into a fighter. I like froakie the most, even though i am a fire type fan. But there is charizard

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
My Froakie recently evolved into Frogadier, and while I miss its cuteness, I love Frogadier's coolness. It's great to be using a strong Water-type; I've gotten use to using common Water-types for Surf and other HMs but it feels nice to have a competent Water-type as my main Pokemon. I still like Fennekin and Braixen more, but Froakie's line is growing on me.

SergantGold

Based Feebas
I prefer Chespin as I always go with the grass starter, but I really dislike all the final forms cause they change completely from what the originals are, many say that the starters usually have a lot of changes but not that much, I just dont like them and it doesnt make any sense, is like if 1 person made the first 2 forms and someone else was just informed what they looked like but never saw the actual arts.

They didn't completely change the concepts at all, they kept the Knight-Mage-Theif/ninja archetypes throughout well. It just seems like such a radical change due to the color ratios being flipped (or in chestnaugh's case reversed).

Colton S

Beware Bewear
I love Froakie and its evos equally as well as the Fennekin line. I'm just loving this Gen's starters!

Joltik-Kid

Careful? Where's the fun in that?
Chespin is cute enough, but Chesnaught is an awful design with awful typing.
When was Grass/Fighting an awful typing? Breloom and Virizion seem to be doing just fine. But if Grass/Fighting isn't good, then neither is Water/Dark (yeah, Pyschic immunity) because of it's weakness to the common Fighting types and the occasional Grass and Electric types

Taodragon

Training Anaylst
When was Grass/Fighting an awful typing? Breloom and Virizion seem to be doing just fine. But if Grass/Fighting isn't good, then neither is Water/Dark (yeah, Pyschic immunity) because of it's weakness to the common Fighting types and the occasional Grass and Electric types

How does throwing Water/Dark under a bus make Grass/Fighting better necessarily? Both have their flaws that hold them back and that wouldn't change putting them side-by-side.

Psynergy

Strong Winds
Staff member
Super Mod
HA Fletchinder is great for competitive as it's a great Anti-Mega Blaziken. And Acrobatics isn't great on Fletchinder, I tried (And lost)

While you may be right there, the competitive perspective wasn't the point being made. It was the fact that in-game, Fennekin not having a Fire move for a long time isn't so bad because it gets fantastic Psychic moves to make up for that gap. Fletchling, on the other hand, has almost nothing to make up for the lack of strong Fire moves besides HM Fly.

The fact that there are few other options besides Talonflame (who still lacks both offense and defense for other opponents) only shows how dangerous Blaziken still is, though. But this is slightly off-topic.

Cresselia92

SM Ash = New Ash
While you may be right there, the competitive perspective wasn't the point being made. It was the fact that in-game, Fennekin not having a Fire move for a long time isn't so bad because it gets fantastic Psychic moves to make up for that gap. Fletchling, on the other hand, has almost nothing to make up for the lack of strong Fire moves besides HM Fly.

The fact that there are few other options besides Talonflame (who still lacks both offense and defense for other opponents) only shows how dangerous Blaziken still is, though. But this is slightly off-topic.

I agree here. I handled most opponents just fine with Psybeam, until my Braixen learned Psyshock and later Mystical Fire. Level 42 (when it learns Flamethrower) isn't that high, since it can learn a few moves that can take advantage of its amazing Special Attack in the meantime.

fenniken

fire master
I was torn because of the last evolution i love chesnaught and delpox its hard to chose
but fenekin on x chespin y froakie z but il dise it and use charmander

thepinguins

Steel Jester

I agree, but you could use trick room and sabotage Blaziken as his speed will increase, making it decrease. Trick room on Blaziken then sending out a good water/ground/stone/flying move on him and down he goes. He's actually quite fragile as any x2 move on him will pretty much end him. He's not dangerous, it's just nobody knows how to deal with him correctly after having to deal with people sending out all the legendaries from X/Y. And we'll have to wait till we know the egg moves and all the starters to confirm their lack of moves

AmusedMilk

Oh, hey, Big Zam!
The next time I play the game, I'm getting a Fennekin and calling it Skywalker. When it evolves into Delphox, I'm calling it Delph Vader.

I agree, but you could use trick room and sabotage Blaziken as his speed will increase, making it decrease. Trick room on Blaziken then sending out a good water/ground/stone/flying move on him and down he goes. He's actually quite fragile as any x2 move on him will pretty much end him. He's not dangerous, it's just nobody knows how to deal with him correctly after having to deal with people sending out all the legendaries from X/Y. And we'll have to wait till we know the egg moves and all the starters to confirm their lack of moves

He's very dangerous. . .
That's like saying Jirachi isn't haxy as long as you have an inner focus mon. . .
If you're not prepared for it, it can very easily tear through teams.

EDIT: Hence it was banned to Ubers.

Last edited:

that1chick

Pokemon Breeder
I don't mind Froakie or Fennekin and their evolutions, but the final evolution of Crespin looks random. The first two seem to fit each other, the final one is just too weird looking for me.

fitzy909

Just another guy
The exclusive moves are interesting. Spiky shield is really good in my opinion, protecting and possibly damaging. Mystical fire is... well it is decent in my opinion. Water shuriken is probably the worst of the three. it may be priority, but multi hit moves are really only good with skill link.

thepinguins

Steel Jester
He's very dangerous. . .
That's like saying Jirachi isn't haxy as long as you have an inner focus mon. . .
If you're not prepared for it, it can very easily tear through teams.

EDIT: Hence it was banned to Ubers.
I'm having a tourney this thursday, so I know how to deal with the Blazikens. I think everyone will have a Aegislash and Blaziken so I've got less popular pokemon ready to destroy them all. I'm expecting a bunch of Legendaries and Blazikens to roam the tourney :p
And yeah, people will use blaziken whenever they can, because JESUS CHRIST THAT MEGA EVOLUTION+SPEED

Emperor Empoleon

Honor of Kalos
I didn't pick him, but Froakie is a pure blessing. it answers all of my problems with Water starters of the past. Not that I disliked any of them. I actually like them all quite well, it's just that they were all pretty tank-like. Sluggish but strong. I was just waiting for a change of pace.

And Greninja delivered @_____@

Phenomenal speed stat, a wide and stylish movepool befitting a ninja, great offensive stats in tandem, and PROTEAN. Great stuff. The only problem is that tongue scarf, but I can look past it xD

Delphox is very much to my liking as well for that matter. My favorite in fact. Very beautiful and sage-like, right down to the name. It really feels like a fully realized and grown up version of what Braixen was meant to be in it's design (A Mage). And another nice change of pace, being Fire/Psychic. I was fortunate enough for mine to be Hasty when I picked her too :3

Chespin's line, I haven't really gotten a chance to know, but I will train with the Chespin that I got from Shauna and give some thoughts down the road.

Last edited:

DragoniteRules1

Pokemon Breeder
The only problem is that tongue scarf, but I can look past it xD

It's a tongue!?? Eww...

I personally chose Froakie. Although Froakie looks kinda silly, his evolutions are cool. I've always chosen the Water starter (Other than Charmander, who I chose as my second starter in this game and would choose if I played a Kanto game). Delphox just looks kinda...weird. At least Nintendo didn't give us another Fire/Fighting starter (ugh!). I also think Chesnaught is cool too. But Greninja is a ninja frog. He's Toxicroak's buddy.

BTW my in-team Greninja doesn't have Protean...is that OK?

Status
Not open for further replies.