• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Starters Discussion Thread v2

Who is your favorite starter?

• Grass-type, Chespin

Votes: 247 21.3%
  • Fire-type, Fennekin

Votes: 328 28.3%
  • Water-type, Froakie

Votes: 484 41.8%
  • None of the above. GOOMY!

Votes: 100 8.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

noakai

I vastly prefer Froakie to be Water/Dark myself. It fits the image of a ninja to me a lot more than Water/Fighting. Plus I didn't want it to be like Poliwrath lol.

Regality

Digital King
At first I preferred Froakie, which was the least popular... now I prefer Chespin, which is now the least popular.

Oh god, I have somehow become a hipster.

Pamizard

Queen of Charizards!
People this day and age have some kind of bizarre view on ninjas

I blame Naruto and the younger generation and their radical ideas

D: nothing wrong with Naruto xD and im naming my greninja Jiraiya for a reason xD

But yeah he's suppose to be more on an thief line but still the frog inspired me for Jiraiya because of him using frog jutsus and summoning them in the series, although im starting with a female froakie to breed froakies for trading and stuff

PsychoIncarnate

D: nothing wrong with Naruto xD and im naming my greninja Jiraiya for a reason xD

But yeah he's suppose to be more on an thief line but still the frog inspired me for Jiraiya because of him using frog jutsus and summoning them in the series, although im starting with a female froakie to breed froakies for trading and stuff

Naruto is the reason people on this forum have such a skewed idea of what ninjas are about

To the point that people don't think ninja's would be dark type

Locormus

Can we please get the older, old forum back?

Nothing wrong with Naruto? You should really not go to Manga related forums then.. People have been talking about the destruction of any quality standard it may have once had for the last 7 years.... Not joking, every single chapter release is another storm of complaints forming.

Picking Froakie regardless, staying true to my choice from the previous thread.

Sukiza

Gardevoir fan
im going for fennkin i suppose..
i like fennekin and chespins evolution the most, for me the water one is a no go. i loved frogadier but the scarf totally turned me off.

then its choosing between stats/typings and i guess fire/psychic fits me better.. but then theres the problem with the talonflame.. i like that pokemon a lot (just like goodras line but well its tie ^^)
i dunno if its smart to go with 2 fire types in a team and my friend goes for fennekin aswell, its a tough choice.

i heard you get the starter your strong against later on in the game, and since i dont want froakie.. this woudl give me yet another reason to go for fennekin.

anyone has some advice to which to pick?

Pamizard

Queen of Charizards!
Nothing wrong with Naruto? You should really not go to Manga related forums then.. People have been talking about the destruction of any quality standard it may have once had for the last 7 years.... Not joking, every single chapter release is another storm of complaints forming.

Picking Froakie regardless, staying true to my choice from the previous thread.

heh I just dont pay attention much anymore D; they killed all my favorite characters.

Froakie will represent Jiraiya, who is one of my favorites!!!!!

xayshade

At first I was team Froakie, but Chesnaught won me over. I can't get enough of the Juggernaut Hedgehog I just can't.

Besides unless it was rock, he was bound to have a quad weakness to someone (grass/dark, grass/psychic). Grass has always been screwed over, it just matters how you use it!

DarkKami

Pokemon Collector
Anyone got suggestions for Natures for Froakie? I think I might go with Mild, +SpA, -Def

He has a pretty nice Speed Stat, so I think I should be fine without a speed advantage nature.... Hmmm

Last Entei

Charizard Master!
Anyone got suggestions for Natures for Froakie? I think I might go with Mild, +SpA, -Def

He has a pretty nice Speed Stat, so I think I should be fine without a speed advantage nature.... Hmmm
I'd go with modest cause his speed seems good,so getting his Sp Attack up might benefit him a lot

Locormus

Can we please get the older, old forum back?

I think Mild will do wonders.. Take advantage of that special, while still leaving room for it to go mixed, perhaps with Sucker Punch.

What does Protean do?

zimmerwald1915

I will be choosing Fennekin, no question. Fennekin's design drew me in when it and the other starters' were first released. It looked quietly confident and a little bit pensive, which appealed to me more than Chespin's abandon and enthusiasm or Froakie's seeming shock at whatever it saw. The more I learned about its evolutionary line, the more I was hooked. I gravitate towards mage classes in TTRPGs, so the idea of apprentice-Fennekin, adept-Braixen and wizard-Delphox was a natural fit for me. The designs of the later forms also helped hold my eye. Braixen looked spunky and curious, sure of itself but eager to learn. Delphox looked like it had grown into its potential, and had the grace, elegance, and poise of a master. The typing, combining two of my favorite offensive types, clinched the choice for me.

Chespin17

Doopliss17/TCMets17
Anyone have any thoughts on which nature would be better for Chespin, Careful or Jolly? As of now I'm thinking of going for a Careful nature.

DarkKami

Pokemon Collector
Protean changes the Type of the Pokemon after the move it's used, according to some leaks from other sites:

Example: Froakie uses U-Turn, Protean activates, changing his type to Bug. He uses Thief, Protean Activates and changes his type to Dark

PsychoIncarnate

Rash might be good, he resists more elements that are more commonly special than he does physical, so he may NEED the defense, plus has a weakness to fighting, which is a pretty strong weakness

Not that he has strong defenses either way, but a stronger defense might make him live longer.

DarkKami

Pokemon Collector
I'd go with modest cause his speed seems good,so getting his Sp Attack up might benefit him a lot

See I'm contemplating between Mild and Modest. Maybe I'll go Mild first and see how he fairs, then I can just breed for the Modest Nature hopefully.

Rash might be good, he resists more elements that are more commonly special than he does physical, so he may NEED the defense, plus has a weakness to fighting, which is a pretty strong weakness

Not that he has strong defenses either way, but a stronger defense might make him live longer.

Thank you for your post! It would make sense for him to have a higher Defense due to weakness to Fighting. What about Fairy though? Is it normally Special or Physical?

fitzy909

Just another guy
Protean changes the Type of the Pokemon after the move it's used, according to some leaks from other sites:

Example: Froakie uses U-Turn, Protean activates, changing his type to Bug. He uses Thief, Protean Activates and changes his type to Dark

sounds pretty good and it is very similar to colour change. would be better if it changed before it used the attack to gain stab. however, it may be a double edged sword. you may use an attack that makes you weak to your opponent, but it seems pretty good.

Last Entei

Charizard Master!
See I'm contemplating between Mild and Modest. Maybe I'll go Mild first and see how he fairs, then I can just breed for the Modest Nature hopefully.

Thank you for your post! It would make sense for him to have a higher Defense due to weakness to Fighting. What about Fairy though? Is it normally Special or Physical?
I'm not really concerned about Greninjas type at the start,but I want to make sure I get a Modest Charmander for my Mega Charizard Y

Taodragon

Training Anaylst

That could be very useful, if Froakie wants to avoid getting hit SE, switch to a safe type.

Does the activation take place before or after using the move because if it switches before, he could get STAB for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.