• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Starters Discussion Thread v2

Who is your favorite starter?

• Grass-type, Chespin

Votes: 247 21.3%
  • Fire-type, Fennekin

Votes: 328 28.3%
  • Water-type, Froakie

Votes: 484 41.8%
  • None of the above. GOOMY!

Votes: 100 8.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tangeh

You don't have to necessarily go itemless. One known strategy revolves around Power Herb + Solar Beam. It may not be the best strategy around, but it's quite decent.

I suppose so, but then you'd just be back where you started after solar beam.

Eh Delphox is a better Magician user than Klefki and maybe Hoopa with the former needing Prankster especially. At least Delphox still has Blaze to use unlike lolPyroar who has no uses with its own whatsoever (it gets Moxie despite an iffy Attack stat).

Dang, hoopa gets magician? That sucks, lol.

gamer_legend

I'm gonna go with Chespin because in spite of one crippling weakness he's an absolute monster of a Pokemon. I love his hidden ability as well as it really suits him.

Weavy

I come and go suddenly
I wish that Magician got upgraded into an ability version of both Thief and Knock Off, in a way that if it doesn't have an item it steals the opponent's one, while if it has an item already it will disable the opponent's one. That would make Delphox (and other Magician users) way better than how it is now.

I still really love the magical fox, though, and hope for more Egg Moves and added TMs (like they did with Klinklank, where they added Wild Charge in B2W2).

I've always thought Magician should've worked like Knock Off (Without the power boost). Even just that alone would probably buff Magician users.

And I absolutely agree that Delphox's movepool needs a buff. One would expect a Pokémon based on a Mage to have a lot of moves but LOL nope Delphox's movepool sucks. Maybe with more coverage it might get a little better, because as much as I love Delphox, right now it is the worst of the three in a competitive aspect. Fingers crossed.

You don't have to necessarily go itemless. One known strategy revolves around Power Herb + Solar Beam. It may not be the best strategy around, but it's quite decent.

It's defiantly a well known strategy, but it's generally best avoided. While it does steal the item on that turn, you're stuck with a near useless move afterwards unless you happen to be running a sun team. And if you happen to be running Swicheroo, Magician becomes pointless. I think there are better ways to use Magician.

Eh Delphox is a better Magician user than Klefki and maybe Hoopa with the former needing Prankster especially. At least Delphox still has Blaze to use unlike lolPyroar who has no uses with its own whatsoever (it gets Moxie despite an iffy Attack stat).

Pretty much this.

Though at the end of the day, Blaze is by far the superior ability. Magician is very gimmicky to use as of now.

I chose Fennekin in X because as soon as the starter designs/names were released I knew I wanted it, and the only other fire starter I would choose from past generations is a Cyndaquil. If I get Y I'll probably pick Froakie because Greninja's design is awesome. I don't have a lot of love for Chespin's evolutions.

PokemonMegaBeast

Im Still Here!
Well I always go with the grass types but get all the starters in the end eventually. Also why would you compare Klefki with Magician to Delphox with Magician. Why would you even think of using magician on klefki as prankster suits it way better with Light Clay Screens/Hazards/Status having priority.

Erika ♣

Guardian of the Land
Hi I'm looking for a charizard with an x stone for mega evolve. {#6}

I judge Pokemon based on how I like their design, and in this case the Froakie family wins out easily.
I like Chespin a lot, he really stands out from the other grass starters, but Quilladin is kinda ugly and Chesnaught is sort of a mess.
Froakie's cute and all but never felt like anything special to me, Braixen is cool but not all that special, and while I like the concept and in-game animations of Delphox's fire-wielding magic powers it's design is kinda...eh.
However the water line is AWESOME! Froakie's so cute and different from any other frog we've ever gotten, Frogadier is cool and uses the froth to it's full advantage by making it look like some kinda cape, and Greninja. Oh man, can you say coolest starter ever? I mean ninjas are such a cool thing to base a Pokemon on to begin with, and it's jagged features combined with the smooth look of it's tongue scarf just make for an incredible design all around. My only complaint is that the froth from the first two doesn't progress to anything with Greninja, but it's really no big deal since I can't imagine that adding to it's design.

captainfez3

The Chill Trainer
I surprised that Chespin doesn't get more love. I would have thought Fennekin would be at the bottom of the totem pole on this one in all honesty. I know each generation brings along a new favorite, but out of all the generations I've played (which would be all of them lol) I can honestly say that Chespin is my favorite starter thus far... my favorite Pokemon overall.

NoGrenades

I need help. I want to start with Chespin this time around but I want to EV train it. What is the best way to EV train this pokemon? This will be my first time EV training.

Navarch

I need help. I want to start with Chespin this time around but I want to EV train it. What is the best way to EV train this pokemon? This will be my first time EV training.

I'd say 252 in Attack and HP and 6 in Defense, or 252 in Attack and Defense with 6 in HP. Chesnaught is a Physical Attacker, and is quite bulky, so those would be the best ways to train him. If it were up to me, I'd do 252 in Attack and HP, with 6 in Defense. (AKA the first one)

Impreza

I'd definitely go with an Impish 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef build. Chesnaught has great physical bulk and this spread combined with recovery and chip damage from Leech Seed and Spiky Shield make it really annoying for opposing physical attackers. It'll be pretty weak to strong Special Attackers, so it works well with a good Special Wall.

((JAWS))

Johto Boy
Design:
In design Delphox was a mess, (Delphox was my starter on my first playthrough). On my second play through which I am doing right now I chose Chespin and I am at his mid-stage as of now and the design is quite pleasing. Overall I like the Chesnaught design the best.

Competitive: Obviously Froakie.

In-Game: By looking at the gyms Fennekin is the best choice, looking at the Elite 4 however is a different story and it is fair to assume that all three hold a fair chance when it comes to typing against the Elite 4 so I'll give it a tie.

katelia

Graceful Elegance
Fennekin was my starter in this generation. I'm not the biggest Delphox fan though... it could use just a few more changes to make it a really stunning Pokémon.
Chikorita still my favorite cutie though.

SparklingMistral

The #1 Remus Lupin f
#fennekinmasterrace

But really, Froakie kinda got overrated, and Chespin was kinda eh. Fennekin was cute and adorable though~ Bummed out it turned out to be a bipedal evolutionary line, but I'm glad it wasn't another Fire/Fighting starter.

Midknight

Not Banned
I'd love Delphox way more if they didn't decide to make it gender-specific. I mean it's kind of obvious that it's meant to be female so why is there an 87.5% chance of getting a male?
But either way, both Greninja and Chesnaught are better competitively.

Anyway, I hate gender-specific Pokemon, especially when they're starters.

It took me a while to decide between Fennekin or Froakie,

After some research, it was froakie that won me over and is what I chose as my starter

I chose Froakie just 'cause it looked cooler lol.

TheShoveler1887

Rock Shoveler
I hate the fact that Delphox, who I was so excited for upon release, ended up having a hidden ability that was completely outshone by the other two starters. Greninja and Chesnaught just have amazing abilities and stats that allow them to be monsters competitively and Delphox just got left in the dust which disappoints me greatly.

Pokemon4Ever

Innocent Bystander
Fennekin was my favorite the minute I saw the starters revealed, and that hasn't changed. :D Competitively, yeah it could probably be better. I actually think Delphox has nice stats, it just doesn't have the right moves. And sadly, it got shafted with the worst hidden ability of all three.

Aesthetically, I think Fennekin is an absolute cutie. Braixen and Delphox look perhaps just a bit too feminine considering that the awful gender ratio for the starter Pokemon is as mercilessly uneven as ever. I long for the day when they finally ditch these ridiculous odds for certain Pokemon, but I digress. That said, Fennekin's evos are still a really great subtle attempts at a witch and mage respectively. Definitely one of my favorite starters ever.

I also really liked Chespin, but sadly, Quilladin is pretty off-putting for some reason. Chesnaught makes up for it though, and is my second fave of the three. I like the Froakie line too, just not as much.

mew 2000

Shiny Celebi
Chespin was my pick for the main game and for in game purposes its perfect ( and I still used chesnaught to pwn some of my friends in the early days after release) chesnaught was ok for me design wise it goes

greninja-chesnaught-delpohx

chesnaught is not for competive use but chespin is to cute to not love, Greninja is more of a competitive pokemon but when it comes to competitive greninja all day!

Status
Not open for further replies.