• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Starters Discussion Thread v2

Who is your favorite starter?

• Grass-type, Chespin

Votes: 247 21.3%
  • Fire-type, Fennekin

Votes: 328 28.3%
  • Water-type, Froakie

Votes: 484 41.8%
  • None of the above. GOOMY!

Votes: 100 8.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

hellfighter

I chose the Froakie! And I named him Kermit! I began the game yesterday and my strongest pokemon level wise is a Lv.14 Pidgey named Falco! my second strongest is Froakie at lv.10!
I also have a lv.2 Mewtwo who only knows tackle and string shot 1 :)

Yuki457

Pokemon Y is the first pokemon game I have picked up in quite a few years but I chose Fennekin purely due to how rare or few I found fire pokemon to generally be back in the day compared to the other choices. I also have found over time the fire starters to become harder to replace after integrating them into your team compared to the others. I don't know if it's still the case as I've only just started this generation but when confronted with Grass/Water/Fire my mind automatically gets drawn to fire. I also like the idea that as there is a forest at the start of the game, I'm starting my pokemon adventure walking out of the smoldering remains of what used to be the forest after spamming Ember at every bug in sight.

Froakie because it has amazing Speed and always goes first.

Cresselia92

SM Ash = New Ash
Well... if the most recent ORAS leaks are conclusive, then I must say that I'm quite disappointed. Delphox again gets the short end of the stick, imo.

I'm not going to spoil anything, but I just say this: it gets very little compared to the other two starters. They've given tools to Greninja to make it shine even more and tools to let Chesnaught tank attacks more easily.

I'm going to put everything regarding Delphox under a spoiler tag, for whoever isn't interested or doesn't want to be spoiled:

[spoil] Covet - Magician already does that. Besides, Covet is a physical attack with low power.

Signal Beam - useful against Dark-types. However, it also gets Dazzling Gleam in ORAS, which I think is the superior choice.

Low Kick - ...No.

Thunder Punch - If only it was Thunderbolt, or Discharge!

Fire Punch - Meh...

Magic Coat - Makes sense and is kinda useful, however it requires prediction... and a move slot. Besides, it already gets it as an Egg Move.

Foul Play - This could actually be very useful, since it attracts physical attackers. Lack of STAB sucks, though.

Zen Headbutt - Need to attack the physical defense of an opponent? Use Psyshock.

Iron Tail - Tsk, even physical attackers avoid this move. Delphox avoids this even more than them.

Snore - Low power and extremely situational.

Heat Wave - The "Flamethrower" of this generation. It already gets it as an Egg Move, though.

Role Play - Level-Up move. Kinda pointless.

Shock Wave - Well, it actually gets an electric special attack! Too bad that it has low power...

Trick - Redundant, since it already has Switcheroo.

Magic Room - Another Level-Up move.

Wonder Room - Very gimmicky, but I'd like to try to swap the Defense with the Special Defense some times.

Recycle - Useful to regain Power Herbs? Other than that, it has little uses.

Snatch - Try to steal some eventual stat boosts from setup attackers?

Sleep Talk - Uhm... already a TM...

Skill Swap - Give Magician to someone else? It doesn't seem to be worth a move slot.[/spoil]

I'm afraid that it will end up joining the likes of Meganium and company. Truly a pity.

CrusherTheFeraligatr

Strider: Spider King
Well... if the most recent ORAS leaks are conclusive, then I must say that I'm quite disappointed. Delphox again gets the short end of the stick, imo.

I'm not going to spoil anything, but I just say this: it gets very little compared to the other two starters. They've given tools to Greninja to make it shine even more and tools to let Chesnaught tank attacks more easily.

I'm going to put everything regarding Delphox under a spoiler tag, for whoever isn't interested or doesn't want to be spoiled:

[spoil] Covet - Magician already does that. Besides, Covet is a physical attack with low power.

Signal Beam - useful against Dark-types. However, it also gets Dazzling Gleam in ORAS, which I think is the superior choice.

Low Kick - ...No.

Fire Punch - Meh...

Magic Coat - Makes sense and is kinda useful, however it requires prediction... and a move slot. Besides, it already gets it as an Egg Move.

Foul Play - This could actually be very useful, since it attracts physical attackers. Lack of STAB sucks, though.

Zen Headbutt - Need to attack the physical defense of an opponent? Use Psyshock.

Iron Tail - Tsk, even physical attackers avoid this move. Delphox avoids this even more than them.

Heat Wave - The "Flamethrower" of this generation. It already gets it as an Egg Move, though.

Shock Wave - Well, it actually gets an electric special attack! Too bad that it has low power...

Wonder Room - Very gimmicky, but I'd like to try to swap the Defense with the Special Defense some times.

Skill Swap - Give Magician to someone else? It doesn't seem to be worth a move slot.[/spoil]

I'm afraid that it will end up joining the likes of Meganium and company. Truly a pity.

What're these leaks?

Edit: Found it. Finally, pangoro gets some good punching moves.

Last edited:

WhyBuffet

Pokémon Breeder

Low Kick - ...No.

Fire Punch - Meh...

Let's be honest here though, what could Delphox really have gotten from ORAS (in terms of new moves and such) that would have saved it from being a mediocre Pokémon?

XXD17

Draco rex
Let's be honest here though, what could Delphox really have gotten from ORAS (in terms of new moves and such) that would have saved it from being a mediocre Pokémon?

How about energy ball, focus blast or thunderbolt? Most psychic types (Mr. Mime, Jynx, gardevoir, gothetelle, reuniclus, etc) get these moves already so what bothered me was how delphox never got them in the first place...if it got these moves, it would have the coverage to be more than RU for sure...it has great SA (highest of any starter), great speed, and decent SD...what makes delphox fall flat is its lack of an offensive move pool having to make due with HP fighting, grass knot and now shock wave...sure it isn't greninja but if it had coverage moves, it can easily run choice sets in UU...it also gets lots of support moves (like willo, calm mind and switcheroo) so your opponent better think twice before trying to sucker punch...I understand that delphox isn't that great, but why do people still hate on it even now?

Last edited:

WhyBuffet

Pokémon Breeder
How about energy ball, focus blast or thunderbolt? Most psychic types (Mr. Mime, Jynx, gardevoir, gothetelle, reuniclus, etc) get these moves already so what bothered me was how delphox never got them in the first place...if it got these moves, it would have the coverage to be more than RU for sure...it has great SA (highest of any starter), great speed, and decent SD...what makes delphox fall flat is its lack of an offensive move pool having to make due with HP fighting, grass knot and now shock wave...sure it isn't greninja but if it had coverage moves, it can easily run choice sets in UU...it also gets lots of support moves (like willo, calm mind and switcheroo) so your opponent better think twice before trying to sucker punch...I understand that delphox isn't that great, but why do people still hate on it even now?

You know, you make very good points. I wasn't really thinking of possible coverage options Delphox could get like that... Because you're sort of right, I do underestimate Delphox a lot...
Which I really don't want to because I actually kinda like Delphox. She's got a cool desigh and (as you said) decently high Sp Atk

Afrodisiac

break up w yo gf, im bored

The problem with Delphox isn't it's movepool only. It's typing is mediocre for a CM abuser in the highest tiers & it's stats are sub-par imo. And obviously, it's hidden ability is horrendous, while Greni/Chesnaught got really good ones. Only a mega evolution would save it from being outclassed by many other Pokémon that fulfill the same role.

Still, Delphox is a good pokémon for RU and is miles ahead of many awful starters like Emboar, Serperior, Meganium & Torterra.

Lion Demon

Fairy Type Champion
The problem with Delphox isn't it's movepool only. It's typing is mediocre for a CM abuser in the highest tiers & it's stats are sub-par imo. And obviously, it's hidden ability is horrendous, while Greni/Chesnaught got really good ones. Only a mega evolution would save it from being outclassed by many other Pokémon that fulfill the same role.

Still, Delphox is a good pokémon for RU and is miles ahead of many awful starters like Emboar, Serperior, Meganium & Torterra.

Contrary Serperior will haunt you in your nightmares one day. In all seriousness, Delphox gains Dazzling Gleam for OR/AS. That means he can hit Dragon and Dark Types effectively. Still, for Delphox not to have Thunderbolt (or even Scald) in his arsenal is so dissapointing.

XXD17

Draco rex

Ouch! That hurts yo! I'm still bitter that my favorite poke still lacks access to it hidden ability...but if it did, it could actually be pretty good in UU...dangit, why do I always like the starter that could be good but just isn't? at least zard and sceptile gained more momentum with time, empoleon is still ok I guess but poor typhlosion, serperior and delphox are still scrounging for existence in the metagame lol but at least serp has the potential and a chance to be better...can't say that about my poor Scarlett (yeah, I named my delphox Scarlett)...just give it contrary already!!!

WhyBuffet

Pokémon Breeder
Ouch! That hurts yo! I'm still bitter that my favorite poke still lacks access to it hidden ability...but if it did, it could actually be pretty good in UU...dangit, why do I always like the starter that could be good but just isn't? at least zard and sceptile gained more momentum with time, empoleon is still ok I guess but poor typhlosion, serperior and delphox are still scrounging for existence in the metagame lol but at least serp has the potential and a chance to be better...can't say that about my poor Scarlett (yeah, I named my delphox Scarlett)...just give it contrary already!!!

Hopefully once all the starters get Mega Evolutions each one of them will get some new momentum... Even our friend Meganium...

Afrodisiac

break up w yo gf, im bored
Contrary Serperior will haunt you in your nightmares one day. In all seriousness, Delphox gains Dazzling Gleam for OR/AS. That means he can hit Dragon and Dark Types effectively. Still, for Delphox not to have Thunderbolt (or even Scald) in his arsenal is so dissapointing.

When? Exactly. Seems like it'll never see the light of day. I'm guessing a future change in it's HA ala Chandelure sadly.

I'm sorry, I didn't see your avi and I just dragged Serperior :c

Serperior as of now is pretty bad esp. because of it's lackluster movepool. Honestly there were many, many Gen V Pokémon with horrible ones (Klinklang, Vanilluxe, Zebstrika and the list goes on). Poor Samurott is too slow to put in work efectively and Emboar is a mess. Seriously sucks that the Gen V starters were all bad competitively.

Empoleon is good right now, has some viable niches in OU and was also good back in the DPPt days.

Delphox at least is one of the best Pokémon in RU while other starters wish they had a viable niche even in NU (i.e. Meganium)

WhyBuffet

Pokémon Breeder
When? Exactly. Seems like it'll never see the light of day. I'm guessing a future change in it's HA ala Chandelure sadly.

Serperior as of now is pretty bad esp. because of it's lackluster movepool. Honestly there were many, many Gen V Pokémon with horrible ones (Klinklang, Vanilluxe, Zebstrika and the list goes on). Poor Samurott is too slow to put in work efectively and Emboar is a mess. Seriously sucks that the Gen V starters were all bad competitively.

Empoleon is good right now, has some viable niches in OU and was also good back in the DPPt days.

Delphox at least is one of the best Pokémon in RU while other starters wish they had a viable niche even in NU (i.e. Meganium)

What would you say are some of the best niches Empoleon fills at the moment?

XXD17

Draco rex

It's Ok! It's Ok! I was joking ...I know it's bad lol...I just get a little annoyed when people push that fact in my face, but you were being completely civil and I thank you for it...

Last edited:

PokemonCarnage

Water Expert
(i voted Goomy)

Froakie = is easily the best for online, as his GODLY ability 'Protean'. He is on my of my teams as he is very upredictable (and a nice stab U-Turn, never goes a miss)
Chespi = i did my first story with him. He's cute and when he's Chesnaught, he looks cool, but he will never compare to Treeko/Turtwig/Bubasaur.
Fennekin = I am using him in my story now (just so i can get Zapdos) and honestly shes ok, useful for most of the gyms, but part of is always in question 'Why don't you just use Charizard'. Psychic and Fire is a good Typing for the story and helps you 'Demolish' most of the gyms. But i never feel satisfied with my victories when i use her. Could be that i find the wins too easy, or could be beause i miss 'Mega Evolving' a charizard to sweep the field
There's still time for her, a i am to use her on against the E4 now

Weavy

I come and go suddenly
So it seems like Delphox didn't get Dazzling Gleam in OR/AS after all (according to what I've been reading on the main site)

Massive disappointment. I was really excited that it would get it. Looks like it's still doomed for the lower tiers. It's sad, as it's by far my favourite Kalos starter.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Edit: Ignore this post. It has been confirmed it can learn the move.

Last edited:

Lulu_used_SunnyDay

Petal Blizzard
So it seems like Delphox didn't get Dazzling Gleam in OR/AS after all (according to what I've been reading on the main site)

Massive disappointment. I was really excited that it would get it. Looks like it's still doomed for the lower tiers. It's sad, as it's by far my favourite Kalos starter.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

I feel you, this is the 2nd gen in a row where my favorite starter ends up being the weakest.....

It's even worse when I think that I've always felt like Greninja's and Delphox's abilities were swapped... I mean, isn't Greninja supposed to be all about the stealthy ninja rogue archetype? Why shouldn't he be the one with the ability to steal things? And don't magicians use their wands to transform stuff? Like, turning one element into another? Ergo what protean does?

Status
Not open for further replies.