• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Starters Discussion Thread v2

Who is your favorite starter?

• Grass-type, Chespin

Votes: 247 21.3%
  • Fire-type, Fennekin

Votes: 328 28.3%
  • Water-type, Froakie

Votes: 484 41.8%
  • None of the above. GOOMY!

Votes: 100 8.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

AltoClarinet5

Dark Enthusiast
I remember it being difficult to pick a starter at first. I liked the look of all of them upon the first announcement. A few months later, I started to debate between choosing Chespin or Froakie. And now, I'm full on Team Chespin! This will be the first generation in which my first choice is a grass starter, and I know I won't be disappointed!

Mays

Unless you're a TR attacker or bulky mixed attacker.

Fennekin is good in special attack and special defense, and decent in speed.
Chespin is good in attack and defense, and decent in HP (might have mixed that up)
Froakie is good in special attack and speed, and decent in attack.
Well then speed-reducing isn't a sbad is it?

Arcamenel

Shiny Hunter
Regarding the typings.
Chesnaught, with its Grass/Fighting typing, has a 4x weakness to Flying. Undesirable, but I do like its design.
Delphix, has a Fire/Psychic typing, which fits it perfectly with the wizardly/witchy appearance. The typing also benefits Delphox with a resistance to Bug.
Greninja is my favorite so far. Its typing doesn't give it any resistances to weaknesses, but it doesn't get any 4x weaknesses either. I think that this is the most bizzare of the three, mainly due to the tounge-scarf.

#TeamFroakie all the way

nevermind XD

EDIT: Derped. I keep thinking it's fighting. XD

Last edited:

Grey Wind

Greninja has a 4x weakness to Fairy. Fairy is SE against Fighting and Dark.
What? Greninja is Water/Dark. It does have any double weaknesses.

e: I love how Froakie is now the most popular starter. Goes to show how much the final evolutions can sway someone's opinion.

Last edited:

MastersOfMonsters

~Yaoi FanBoy~
Froakie's Hidden Ability is Protean..? What is that? O.O

Bryon

Moveset Comp Judge
Froakie's Hidden Ability is Protean..? What is that? O.O

From what Joe said, it changes the Pokémon's Type to the type of the last move they used. So kind of a reverse Color Change.

MastersOfMonsters

~Yaoi FanBoy~
From what Joe said, it changes the Pokémon's Type to the type of the last move they used. So kind of a reverse Color Change.

Ooh, that thing that Kecleon has? So, if my Greninja uses Close Combat, he will turn pure Fighting, or will his secondary Type remain? Or maybe we don't know that yet. ^^

outoftheordinary

Dreaming of Greece
I like Fennekin and its evolutions better than the other two, but I already have a Fire type in my team (Talonflame) and I'm getting Charizard X, it just doesn't make sense to get another fire depite how much I love how Delphox looks. Go Greninja!

NightFire7

I'm definitely on the side of team chesnaught. Aways going to go with the least popular choice and even though I have grown to like the other two, I like him the best.

I was initially pretty set on Chespin, but now I'm on Team Froakie. Although I do still wish that Froakie's end typing would've been Water/Fighting, and then have Chespin be Grass/Dark. I just feel like the Dark type doesn't mesh with the ninja appearance...he should be Fighting. Meh. Still <3 Greninja.

noakai

I wonder how we're gonna get Dream World abilities in this game. This sounds cool.

PsychoIncarnate

I was initially pretty set on Chespin, but now I'm on Team Froakie. Although I do still wish that Froakie's end typing would've been Water/Fighting, and then have Chespin be Grass/Dark. I just feel like the Dark type doesn't mesh with the ninja appearance...he should be Fighting. Meh. Still <3 Greninja.

Dark doesn't mesh with Ninja!?!?

What the world do you think ninjas are?

Ninja's are assassins that sneak around in the shadows and strike when no one is looking.

Ninja's are known for their stealth, one of the reasons they wear all black

Dark doesn't mesh with Ninja!?!?

What the world do you think ninjas are?

Ninja's are assassins that sneak around in the shadows and strike when no one is looking.

Ninja's are known for their stealth, one of the reasons they wear all black

I get that ninjas are all stealthy and hide in the shadows, but they are also combat oriented. I picture dark type as more monstrous, rather than like a ninja I guess. But to each his own.

Ver-mont

I get that ninjas are all stealthy and hide in the shadows, but they are also combat oriented. I picture dark type as more monstrous, rather than like a ninja I guess. But to each his own.

The starters seem to be inspired by the three classic RPG classes: fighter, mage, thief. Thief = Dark.

PsychoIncarnate

People this day and age have some kind of bizarre view on ninjas

I blame Naruto and the younger generation and their radical ideas

Status
Not open for further replies.