• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Starters Discussion Thread v2

Who is your favorite starter?

• Grass-type, Chespin

Votes: 247 21.3%
  • Fire-type, Fennekin

Votes: 328 28.3%
  • Water-type, Froakie

Votes: 484 41.8%
  • None of the above. GOOMY!

Votes: 100 8.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cresselia92

SM Ash = New Ash
I wonder if getting shinies has become easier... if yes, I'm going to breed my Fennekin to obtain a shiny one. Hopefully shiny Delphox will be cool.

RNG_Reporter

Apparently soft resetting for a starter this gen takes forever.. must be a long intro or the save feature isn't there before you can pick one.

But yeah, it does seem like shinies are out and about. Wonder if the odds are better.

Agree on the Delphox, it does look like Gothitelle, good call. That "robe" is just a really bad "robe" and it just looks really really goofy. Which is disappointing because a Fire/Psychic starter with a wand is just so sick. Especially with strong speed and sp atk.

Froakie and Chespin are the ones I have to decide on.. since like everyone else.. i'll probably roll with Charizard. Torchic will be good for my PC.

I plan on using the more competitive one.. but both look so so lethal.

In the end they both are outclassed by other Pokemon with the same typing... AND FAIRY STOPS THEM COLD.

Verasi

For a starter, I would rather try the Masuda Method rather than soft resetting since it's so time consuming. I also heard that it would be easier to find a shiny than the previous gen, but I don't know if that's true or not.

Hydrohs

安らかに眠ります、岩田さん。
Staff member
Super Mod
I also heard that it would be easier to find a shiny than the previous gen, but I don't know if that's true or not.

This is based purely on the fact that we've had quite a few Shiny Pokemon found so far, and with the limited amount of people with the game, and limited time spent it seems like they're easier to find. But it could all just be a fluke.

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
After seeing Shiny Fennekin, I think I'm gonna try my luck to see if I can get one at the start of the games. I usually don't soft reset for Shiny Starter Pokemon since I'm always in a rush to start a game, but Shiny Fennekin looks so amazing. I wonder what the other Shiny Starters look like though. I saw some images of a supposed Shiny Chespin a while back, but they could've been fake.

Gizmoa

I don't think it's so limited at this point... we have what a few hundred thousands players now? I guess that is small next to the several million it will be soon, but we are still talking huge. Plus anyone who gets one is going to be real vocal about it with this being a global release. Still, it would be nice if they were a little more easily found.

Rhynox

With so many games out, I wonder why no one's listed movesets for the starters. And hidden abilities, that'd be nice too

Cresselia92

SM Ash = New Ash
After seeing Shiny Fennekin, I think I'm gonna try my luck to see if I can get one at the start of the games. I usually don't soft reset for Shiny Starter Pokemon since I'm always in a rush to start a game, but Shiny Fennekin looks so amazing. I wonder what the other Shiny Starters look like though. I saw some images of a supposed Shiny Chespin a while back, but they could've been fake.

You mean, this pic?

[IMGSIZE=300]http://fc02.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2013/284/f/9/real_shiny_fennekin_by_tashiyoukai-d6q2vwj.jpg[/IMGSIZE]

If that's really real, I have to get a shiny Fennekin. It's sooo adorable! :3

RNG_Reporter

What a great shot. I wonder if the shiny starters are like the HG/SS remake. Where you can see the starters before choosing them. That would be great odds once again, in trying to get a shiny.

Fennekin looks so sick there.

Mangoes

Grand Empress
I've heard from numerous sources that you cannot tell if your starter's shiny before choosing it, unfortunately.

I've heard from numerous sources that you cannot tell if your starter's shiny before choosing it, unfortunately.

Well, that's too bad. I assume you're able to open its card to check nature/sex/shininess immediately after receiving it though, right? It would be nice to know prior to picking.

I'm still debating between Fennekin and Frankie. They both have decent type combinations, and I like the way they look. I don't like Chespin as much, and he seems to have fewer resists and more weaknesses than the others.

skittlepup

Braixen is MINE ;)
If I get a shiny Fennekin on the first try I'm going to scream. :eek:
Now, if it was both shiny and female...

...good Arceus that would be amazing O.O

SageofTruth

Greninja Assassin
So I found shadow claw and my Frogadier can't learn it...

Hopefully the fins on greninja's arm are what allow for slashing moves because A physical moveset is not looking promising...

Frogadier is 32 right now so I will try again in 4 levels.

Shraeder

It's Lit
So I found shadow claw and my Frogadier can't learn it...

Hopefully the fins on greninja's arm are what allow for slashing moves because A physical moveset is not looking promising...

Frogadier is 32 right now so I will try again in 4 levels.

Has it learned any Dark type moves?

SageofTruth

Greninja Assassin
Yea it learned fling so far but I received thief earlier. It also learns the move round.

If anyone was going for a naruto theme....round = frog song

Edit: It just learned Smack Down at 33.

Fling and Smack down seem to emphasize the "throws stones wrapped in bubbles" from the description on the official site

Last edited:

Shraeder

It's Lit
Yea it learned fling so far but I received thief earlier. It also learns the move round.

If anyone was going for a naruto theme....round = frog song

Edit: It just learned Smack Down at 33.

Fling and Smack down seem to emphasize the "throws stones wrapped in bubbles" from the description on the official site

That's cool.

According to Smogon's site it learns Dark Pulse and Night Slash, but it doesn't say if by level up, TM, or breeding.

ImpendingChaos

I'm screwed. I still can't decide between the three!

Luxeon

Now how long's the game been out, and we already have a picture of a shiny starter?!

By the way, I hope Chespin's shiny is blue-colored... 'cause... it's a hedgehog, and... yeah. =D

Status
Not open for further replies.