• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Starters Discussion Thread v2

Who is your favorite starter?

• Grass-type, Chespin

Votes: 247 21.3%
  • Fire-type, Fennekin

Votes: 328 28.3%
  • Water-type, Froakie

Votes: 484 41.8%
  • None of the above. GOOMY!

Votes: 100 8.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

bolter1

Swampert Trainer
I might need a bit of clarification of Bulletproof ability as I know it does prevent damage from bombs moves that either have names "bomb" in their names or moves like Explosion/Self-destruct but for ball moves.. Like Rollout and such?

After raising my Chesnaught to lvl 50 with adamant the Attack seem to be base 105 and MAYBE the base Defense is 120 unless anyone have their higher than 172 Attack and 170 Defense at Lv 50. Somehow i think, for the kalos starters, they may have purposely let their one of their top 3 strongest points to have max IVs although I can be wrong though except reading the fact that the this game's legendary trio have 3 Max Ivs distributed in their top 3 main stats, I'd wouldn't doubt it.
My Chesnaught's characteristic is Strongly Defiant which would mean that its highest IV is in Special Defense, which I've seen to have been calculated to be its lowest base stat (tied with Speed as lowest). I don't have access to the IV Checker yet (Kiloude City is post-game, right?), so I don't know if it might be tied with another stat for highest IV, but I doubt it.

Last edited:

Cross_Thunder_Zekrom

My Chesnaught's characteristic is Strongly Defiant which would mean that its highest IV is in Special Defense, which I've seen to have been calculated to be its lowest base stat (tied with Speed as lowest). I don't have access to the IV Checker yet (Kiloude City is post-game, right?), so I don't know if it might be tied with another stat for highest IV, but I doubt it.

my Chesnaught's characteristic said to be "A little quick tempered". I'm guessing that max out Attack? well Unless someone have one higher than 172 Attack at Lvl 50 with Adamant then it is not max IV on Attack. but for sure it is at least 105 Base Attack otherwise it would be 167 for 100

bolter1

Swampert Trainer
my Chesnaught's characteristic said to be "A little quick tempered". I'm guessing that max out Attack? well Unless someone have one higher than 172 Attack at Lvl 50 with Adamant then it is not max IV on Attack. but for sure it is at least 105 Base Attack otherwise it would be 167 for 100
I was just pointing out that your theory that the Starters may purposefully have 31 IVs in one of their three highest base stats seems to be incorrect as my Chestnaught's highest IV is in Special Defense, its lowest base stat. Also, according to Bulbapedia (assuming the characteristics mean the same IVs as they did in Gen V), since it is "Strongly defiant", the highest IV in Special Defense it can have is 27. Same thing for "A little quick tempered", just for Attack instead of Special Defense.

But, I agree that Chesnaught's base Attack definitely looks like it's somewhere around 100, doesn't surprise me at all that you got 105.

Last edited:

Cross_Thunder_Zekrom

I was just pointing out that your theory that the Starters may purposefully have 31 IVs in one of their three highest base stats seems to be incorrect as my Chestnaught's highest IV is in Special Defense, its lowest base stat. Also, according to Bulbapedia (assuming the characteristics mean the same IVs as they did in Gen V), since it is "Strongly defiant", the highest IV in Special Defense it can have is 27. Same thing for "A little quick tempered", just for Attack instead of Special Defense.

But, I agree that Chesnaught's base Attack definitely looks like it's somewhere around 100, doesn't surprise me at all that you got 105.

Meh, in all Gens I never have a starter that have good Ivs in their top 3 strongest points only in their worst or none at all before breeding. so, Chesnaught's Ivs just perplexed me to cause me to think that theory. Well just a sheer stroke of luck.

Arcticwolf10

According to Serebii Delphox's stats are 75/69/72/114/100/104 meaning it has the highest base special attack of all Non-Mega Starters... pretty awesome...

rocky505

Sigh... Chespin joins Oshawott and Squirtle in the No Shell Smash Club. I tried breeding a smeargle with Shell Smash with a female Chespin and he didn't learn it.

Sigh... Chespin joins Oshawott and Squirtle in the No Shell Smash Club. I tried breeding a smeargle with Shell Smash with a female Chespin and he didn't learn it.

Nope, I tried with Torkoal a few days ago. He'd be far too powerful if he did.

Joltik-Kid

Careful? Where's the fun in that?
I'm impressed and disappointed in Greninja (I chose Chespin though). A lot of people made it out to be a strong attacker (I'm combining both Physical and Special). While 95/103 is nothing to joke about, it's not that crazy good. Basically it's Speed is what gives it the edge

Okay, so far, I have tried, Shell Smash and Drain Punch as egg moves for Chespin.
Neither have been ago for me.
I'm trying now for Close combat. I'll be back shortly with the results.
I'd be quite disappointed if he doesn't learn it.

It's silly to possibly ask...but have you tried Mach Punch?

I have not, but you can bet I will now. :)
Y'never know.

EDIT: I will also try Superpower as well.

Last edited:

TRG

I'm impressed and disappointed in Greninja (I chose Chespin though). A lot of people made it out to be a strong attacker (I'm combining both Physical and Special). While 95/103 is nothing to joke about, it's not that crazy good. Basically it's Speed is what gives it the edge

The fact that it has access to both U-Turn and Spikes will make it UU at least.

Bluemage21

UU seems like a good spot for it.... It might break to OU if it's got access to Rapid Spin like Smogen seems to suggest (although I heard that it can't actually learn it)

*sigh* IT CANNOT LEARN RAPID SPIN. /rage mode off

that was a rumor, the people on smogon squashed it a couple days ago.

Superpower is the last good Fighting move I can think of for Chesnaught (or did someone already try that?)

I'll be working on trying Super Power as well. I'll throw the results out as soon as I find out myself.

Shraeder

It's Lit

With Modest/252 SpAtk it would be good enough to OHKO/2HKO most things. Mine is Mild with like 100-something SpAtk EVs and it still does work.

Status
Not open for further replies.