• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Starters Discussion Thread v2

Who is your favorite starter?

• Grass-type, Chespin

Votes: 247 21.3%
  • Fire-type, Fennekin

Votes: 328 28.3%
  • Water-type, Froakie

Votes: 484 41.8%
  • None of the above. GOOMY!

Votes: 100 8.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Taodragon

Training Anaylst
I'm impressed and disappointed in Greninja (I chose Chespin though). A lot of people made it out to be a strong attacker (I'm combining both Physical and Special). While 95/103 is nothing to joke about, it's not that crazy good. Basically it's Speed is what gives it the edge

95/103 is not bad, the latter's just below Infernape's Spatk for instance. Stiil, Greninja's bread and butter will be Protean, a ability that gives him STAB on any move it has as well as provide some defensive flexibility, it gives him the best advantage with his stats. Unfortunately like the other two starters GF decided it to be best to give it a lackluster movepool outside of certain moves so while it gets enough to abuse, it's not as much as it could've. I think it's definitely going to hit UU, maybe OU if something tips in its favor with egg moves or the new metagame.

Last edited:

Shraeder

It's Lit
Greninja's bread and butter will be Protean, a ability that gives him STAB on any move it has as well as provide some defensive flexibility, it gives him the best advantage with his stats. Unfortunately like the other two starters GF decided it to be best to give it a lackluster movepool outside of certain moves so while it gets enough to abuse, it's not as much as it could've. I think it's definitely going to hit UU, maybe OU if something tips in its favor with egg moves or the new metagame.

I think its movepool is good enough. Ice Beam/Dark Pulse/Extrasensory/Grass Knot/Surf is great for a Special Attacker. Although Psychic would've been a lot better than Extrasensory...

Ditto24

I think its movepool is good enough. Ice Beam/Dark Pulse/Extrasensory/Grass Knot/Surf is great for a Special Attacker. Although Psychic would've been a lot better than Extrasensory...

I agree, it definitely has enough to get by, with some decent Physical sets too. PU Punch/Acrobatics/Night Slash/Water Shuriken was alot of fun for me xD

Taodragon

Training Anaylst

Like I said, the moves it has are still good and can carry it well enough, but it still misses moves like Nasty Plot, Sword Dance, and Rapid Spin. Rapid Spin and Nasty Plot in particular are a loss because it could've been a great spinner/sweeper with them.

Shraeder

It's Lit
Like I said, the moves it has are still good and can carry it well enough, but it still misses moves like Nasty Plot, Sword Dance, Rapid Spin and so on. Rapid Spin and Nasty Plot in particular are a loss because it could've been a great spinner/sweeper with them.

Yea, Nasty Plot would have been great. I don't think Rapid Spin would have been "logical", but there are a lot of Pokemon that learn it that can't even spin XD

SageofTruth

Greninja Assassin
Yea, Nasty Plot would have been great. I don't think Rapid Spin would have been "logical", but there are a lot of Pokemon that learn it that can't even spin XD

Power up punch, Water Shuriken, Night slash, Shadow sneak/U-turn @ Assault vest is something I have been thinking about trying to use for a physical set. I think it will wreck UU if it doesn't make OU.

So. . .
Chespin doesn't pick up Close Combat or Super Power. . .
My gawd, what does he learn?

Shraeder

It's Lit
Power up punch, Water Shuriken, Night slash, Shadow sneak/U-turn @ Assault vest is something I have been thinking about trying to use for a physical set. I think it will wreck UU if it doesn't make OU.

Why Assault Vest? Just for the SpDef boost?

^^Hammer arm and Power Up Punch :p

Taodragon

Training Anaylst
So. . .
Chespin doesn't pick up Close Combat or Super Power. . .
My gawd, what does he learn?

And GF strikes again, poor Chesnaught, the moves it wants the most are the ones it doesn't get...

Shraeder

It's Lit
I think I'm going to try to get a Modest Protean Froakie. I'll run Surf/Dark Pulse/Extrasensory/Ice Beam on it, with the Expert Belt. Now how do you find a Protean Froakie? :)

RieselJ315

I think I'm going to try to get a Modest Protean Froakie. I'll run Surf/Dark Pulse/Extrasensory/Ice Beam on it, with the Expert Belt. Now how do you find a Protean Froakie? :)

A Protein Froakie? Probably at the gym! ;)

And GF strikes again, poor Chesnaught, the moves it wants the most are the ones it doesn't get...

Unless there's some new way of passing moves.
He doesn't even learn Drain Punch. . .
How does a bulky fighting type NOT learn Drain Punch?!
>.>

Psynergy

Strong Winds
Staff member
Super Mod

Friend Safari. Hope one of your friends has Frogadier available there. I'd help, but none of my friends seems to have it available.

Shraeder

It's Lit
Friend Safari. Hope one of your friends has Frogadier available there. I'd help, but none of my friends seems to have it available.

So you have to have a friend with Frogadier available in the Friend Safari?

Taodragon

Training Anaylst
>.>

The same reason a ninja doesn't get Nasty Plot (for darker interpretations) and Sword Dance and a oracle doesn't get Aura Sphere or Focus Blast.

Because...

So you have to have a friend with Frogadier available in the Friend Safari?

If you look around the Pokémon boards either here, Bulbapedia, or even Gamefaqs, there should be one offering. At worst, you could always trade it over and breed it. :)

RieselJ315

The same reason a ninja doesn't get Nasty Plot (for darker interpretations) and Sword Dance and a oracle doesn't get Aura Sphere or Focus Blast.

Because...

Any chance Z/X2/Y2 will change that or is GF making those moves not compatible because there's something wrong/overpowered with the combinations?

Psynergy

Strong Winds
Staff member
Super Mod

Because...

Yup, this must be the same reason Corsola can learn Psychic, Shadow Ball, Earthquake and Explosion. And no, I'm not speaking from experience...okay, maybe a little...

Still, Chesnaught without a good fighting move? Seriously, he avoided the "bulky Grass/Dark" thing, but this doesn't seem to be all that much better.

Locormus

Can we please get the older, old forum back?
Been breeding Fennekins. I've obtained 33 females and 242 males lol. @_@

Neriifur, you never cease to amaze! Any luck on getting a shiny, or are you not using MM?

With Modest/252 SpAtk it would be good enough to OHKO/2HKO most things. Mine is Mild with like 100-something SpAtk EVs and it still does work.

Mine is Timid, is that going to be any good, or is the SpAtk boost almost a requirement?

SageofTruth

Greninja Assassin
>.>

Honestly the secondary types seem like they put them there just because they worked well with the theme. Delphox was the only one with any good secondary type moves.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.