• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Starters Discussion Thread v2

Who is your favorite starter?

• Grass-type, Chespin

Votes: 247 21.3%
  • Fire-type, Fennekin

Votes: 328 28.3%
  • Water-type, Froakie

Votes: 484 41.8%
  • None of the above. GOOMY!

Votes: 100 8.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shraeder

It's Lit
Neriifur, you never cease to amaze! Any luck on getting a shiny, or are you not using MM?

Mine is Timid, is that going to be any good, or is the SpAtk boost almost a requirement?

Timid should be fine.

The same reason a ninja doesn't get Nasty Plot (for darker interpretations) and Sword Dance and a oracle doesn't get Aura Sphere or Focus Blast.

Because...

If you look around the Pokémon boards either here, Bulbapedia, or even Gamefaqs, there should be one offering. At worst, you could always trade it over and breed it. :)

Is there a thread for Friend Safari?

Last edited:

Dragalge

"Orange" Magical Girl
Any chance Z/X2/Y2 will change that or is GF making those moves not compatible because there's something wrong/overpowered with the combinations?

They might, BW2 gave Pokémon like Klinklang Wild Charge and honored Ariados with X-Scissor so I wouldn't throw the thought out just yet.

So no Swords Dance Greninja? Dammit, my first hatched Froakie had a Jolly Nature with perfect IVs in Attack and Speed.

TRG

Chesnaught doesn't even get Drain Punch... Yeah GG Gamefreak. I swear they must hate Grass types or something.

rocky505

Try Cross Chop and see if it learns it. That's like the last decent Fighting move for it lol

Joltik-Kid

Careful? Where's the fun in that?
If it get High Jump Kick...

Unless there's some new way of passing moves.
He doesn't even learn Drain Punch. . .
How does a bulky fighting type NOT learn Drain Punch?!
>.>
... Tutors all over again maybe? Why can we get them earlier...like ever?

At least it gets the decent coverage of Stone Edge/Earthquake and somehow get's Pain Split

gundam_remake

Team Leichi Boss Man
Greninja is pretty underwhelming.

Water usually is. Disappointing power and moveset. Dang. Hate it so far ingame.

I'm going to try some of the Protean Greninja, i hope it's movepool is diverse enough where i can hop around and protect weaknesses. seems even status moves change it's type to a solid type before the attack is used, so that makes things a little easier.

I have a female Protean Greninja from the safari, so i'll see what i can whip up once an egg move list comes up.

Recon

AWESOME! GRENINJA GETS SHADOW SNEAK!

Excuse my enthusiasm. I run various monotype teams and after learning about Greninja's DW ability, I was really hoping it would learn said move. Putting it on my Dark Gym was a must, and while it isn't as fast as powerful as a DW Sharpedo, it allows for more versatility on my team. Giving it Shadow Sneak essentially allows me to attack first no matter what and have a Ghost typing, getting rid of a crippling weakness to fighting, bug, electric, grass, and soon to be fairy, and getting STAB on the move. Besides, who brings a Ghost or Dark type against a Dark Monotype team?

Shraeder

It's Lit
I'm very impressed by the Froakie line. It's about tied with Infernape as my 2nd favorite starter, while Swampert still remains number one due to nostalgia and epic pwnage. Still, I loooooove Greninja's move learnset, although some may disagree. Ice Beam, Surf/Hydro Pump, Extrasensory, and Dark Pulse is all you need to do work. I'm currently breeding for a Timid/Modest Froakie with Protean, but I haven't been lucky so far. ~20 hatches and all Male, with only ~5 having Protean... Maybe if I got a Female Froakie I'd get more Protean Froakies

EDIT: Just got a Timid one!!!!! Btw, if anyone wants a Froakie with Protean, just let me know, I have a few spares left. PM me if you add my FC.

Last edited:

Shraeder

It's Lit
Yes, So whats his preferred EVs for naive nature? XD

It has better Special Attack, so I would say 252 SpAtk/252 Speed and the rest in Attack since your's is Naive and not Timid.

Sudoku

~Apriball Collector~
Sooo..... I picked Fennekin. And got a shiny male with my initial game start up. No resets. Needless to say, my boyfriend was pretty jealous xD. Not too good on the nature deciding since I haven't looked into it really at all but it has a Bold nature in case anyone wanted to know.

Has anyone else pulled off a shiny starter first go? I haven't heard anyone having a shiny starter (and I really didn't look through the forums much, oops) and it's my very first time getting a shiny starter! woot woot.

So.... Anyone?

Psynergy

Strong Winds
Staff member
Super Mod
Sooo..... I picked Fennekin. And got a shiny male with my initial game start up. No resets. Needless to say, my boyfriend was pretty jealous xD. Not too good on the nature deciding since I haven't looked into it really at all but it has a Bold nature in case anyone wanted to know.

Has anyone else pulled off a shiny starter first go? I haven't heard anyone having a shiny starter (and I really didn't look through the forums much, oops) and it's my very first time getting a shiny starter! woot woot.

So.... Anyone?

The Official New and Improved Shiny Thread has quite a few posts of people getting shiny starters, some even on the first day, but none of them have been on the first reset like that. Congrats!

Sudoku

~Apriball Collector~
Oh nice there is a thread xD I really need to look through this forum more. Thanks for the link and Thanks! I was fairly excited lol.

igotmilk

Miltank Trainer
I think some guy accidentally traded me his level 47 Delphox. LMAO. I can't tell if he wants it back because he is from Japan ;/ I don't speak Japanese. I have a Chestnaught and a Delphox now. :D

Shraeder

It's Lit
I think some guy accidentally traded me his level 47 Delphox. LMAO. I can't tell if he wants it back because he is from Japan ;/ I don't speak Japanese. I have a Chestnaught and a Delphox now. :D

Good Job!!! XD

I now have all three starters :)

Charizard86

Charizard Champion
For some reason I beat the elite 4 and never once recorded a chespin in my poledex. Thankfully someone was willing to trade me a Quilladin instead on the GTS for a Fennekin. I'm so glad Ditto can be found easily in this game.

Kyoshi

Waterbending Master
From my playing through the game, I really favour delphox over the other two. (This is my 3rd playthrough, currently using chespin.)
I feel like delphox has sky high special attack, and I found it much more handy than meowstic, which I expected because of the dual-typing.
The second starter I used was greninja, and I felt like the dark typing kind of ruined it, somehow I feel like it gained a buttload of weakness' when it evolved.
I am currently using chespin, and I love him! Not only is quilladin the cutest, but his level up moves are quite diverse.

My only question for everyone is: Do you think any of the final evolutions will make it to the higher tiers in competitive battling?

My only question for everyone is: Do you think any of the final evolutions will make it to the higher tiers in competitive battling?

I can see Greninja breaking into OU territory. Since he is a fast spike setter with some good attacks.
Chesnaught doesn't have the moves to compliment his bulk.
And Delphox, well, I haven't really used it enough to pass judgement.

Status
Not open for further replies.