• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Starters Discussion Thread v2

Who is your favorite starter?

• Grass-type, Chespin

Votes: 247 21.3%
  • Fire-type, Fennekin

Votes: 328 28.3%
  • Water-type, Froakie

Votes: 484 41.8%
  • None of the above. GOOMY!

Votes: 100 8.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Taodragon

Training Anaylst
At this point, it looks like Greninja with its hidden ability Protean (which changes its typing, and thus its STAB) has the best chance, Delphox could work as a crippler but GF screwed it in its movepool diversity (seriously, no Focus Blast or Thunderbolt?) and Chesnaught is bulky but lacks the moveset to go with it.

futurism

Has anyone managed to get the hidden ability for froakie? I heard you can get HA through breeding but so far no luck!!

If you have got it how?? If you got it through breeding what did you breed it with??

Thanks

carmstrong

I started the game with Fennekin, I have always picked fire, and fire and psychic are my two favourite types so I really like Delphox in that regard, although I am not a fan of the enormous ear hair... I like the designs of all the final evolutions of the starters, big improvement over the last generation in my opinion

Belloni

Curious if anyone has found repeatable duo battles for using smeargle to sketch, trying to create movesets for better starters

Psynergy

Strong Winds
Staff member
Super Mod
Curious if anyone has found repeatable duo battles for using smeargle to sketch, trying to create movesets for better starters

You could try the restaurants in Lumiose, since they give you the ability to do double battles. Restaurant Le Nah is best, since it's cheapest and the levels are low.

Odious

あなたは馬鹿

Lumiose Restaurant called "Restaurant Le Nah" it's a double battle and their Pokemon are very low level like around 10 it's how I gave my Smeargle Wish

Edit:Ninja'd

Sarcastic Oshawott

Wow such forum
I love that Goomy is an option in the poll :)

I chose Fennekin, because it gets psychic as its second type which made me really happy because I've always been rather "affinitious" towards psychic types :)

Aetius

Having finally seen in my game all the starters' evo all I can say is that they're really awesome!
I knew that Quilladin would have evolved in an epic mon, but I must say that I didn't really expect for Chestnaught to be like that. :D
As for Delphox and Greninja, they're xcellent too, but my favourite is and will be Chespin's line. :)

Hydrohs

安らかに眠ります、岩田さん。
Staff member
Super Mod
If I was softresetting for a certain nature Charmander, would I have to Save before or after the battle with Prof. Sycamore? :)

I don't think you have the opportunity to save after battling him.

If I was softresetting for a certain nature Charmander, would I have to Save before or after the battle with Prof. Sycamore? :)

He gives it to you after the battle doesn't he?
Either way, pretty sure it'd be before.

Vaizel

I intended to pick Fennekin as my starter, but seeing that the Fennekin that Shauna will trade with me has a beneficial (modest) nature, should I pick Froakie instead? If I'm not wrong, pokemons obtained through gifts/in-game trades that have fixed natures, such as Zorua(hasty) from black/white 2 and Ralts(modest) from X/Y, usually have pretty high IVs, right?

Charizard86

Charizard Champion
I decided to go for Froakie and I've nearly always gone for grass or fire type starters on my first playthrough so i felt like giving water a chance to shine. I ended up getting one with a negative attack nature which was a bad start, and I swore to myself I would not reset just to get a good nature as I can breed for one after the game. While Froakie started off as being overshadowed by my other 'mon he eventually got his time to shine once he evolved into Gredinja and learned some decent special attacking moves. Now he's the first I come to if I need a fast hitter with a great varied move pool.

Aurath8

I decided to go for Froakie and I've nearly always gone for grass or fire type starters on my first playthrough so i felt like giving water a chance to shine. I ended up getting one with a negative attack nature which was a bad start, and I swore to myself I would not reset just to get a good nature as I can breed for one after the game. While Froakie started off as being overshadowed by my other 'mon he eventually got his time to shine once he evolved into Gredinja and learned some decent special attacking moves. Now he's the first I come to if I need a fast hitter with a great varied move pool.

Why was that an issue? Froakie gets Bubble from the start, Water Pulse later and Surf after the 3rd gym. You never really need to use Pound or whatever.

Shraeder

It's Lit

You didn't roflstomp everything with Frogadier and Water Pulse/Round?

sagittar

Hi remind me to change this
Now I really think the poll should be changed because Chespin is my favorite starter but I like Goomy better :/

As this is my second post, not sure where this can be put, but since this IS about the starters, I suppose it can fit here...

Just bred my Delphox with my Timid Smeargle w/ Everstone over the weekend, and I was testing to find a couple possible egg moves for Fennekin, such as Shadow Ball, (TM Availability; sketched from Delphox) Extrasensory (sketched from Greninja, actually had the highest probability in my opinion), Aura Sphere (didn't think it would work, but HAD to try at least; sketched from Mewtwo), and Heat Wave (sketched from Charizard; was my biggest hope so it had a full-range attack for Horde Training). The Egg hatched with a Fennekin that had Scratch, Growl, and Heat Wave, so I'm pretty sure Heat Wave can be listed as an Egg Move for Fennekin.

Charizard86

Charizard Champion
Why was that an issue? Froakie gets Bubble from the start, Water Pulse later and Surf after the 3rd gym. You never really need to use Pound or whatever.

It was great if I needed a water move, however everything that it was strong against was covered by my stronger aerodactyl and venusaur, so without a broader type coverage it didnt see as much usage as others.

Status
Not open for further replies.