• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Starters Discussion Thread v2

Who is your favorite starter?

• Grass-type, Chespin

Votes: 247 21.3%
  • Fire-type, Fennekin

Votes: 328 28.3%
  • Water-type, Froakie

Votes: 484 41.8%
  • None of the above. GOOMY!

Votes: 100 8.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shraeder

It's Lit
You know sometimes smogon just annoy me. My god Choice banded chesnaught hits like a truck. Woodhammer has even knocked out garchomps that try to switch into it. Bringing it in on an azumarill means that the opponent either loses there azumarill or switches into a banded hit from this thing which not many pokes will appreciate. Yet for some reason people on smogon are saying stuff like running a non offensive leech seed, spikes, spikey shield, protect set or saying it can't take a hit because of its typing which isn't true because especially physical hits it can tank very well barring flying type moves. I don't know, a lot of the pokemon in this gen that people on smogon have said isn't great have turned out to be a lot better than they say they are.

They're trying to make use of its sky-high Defense stat. I wouldn't have thought of a Choice Banded set either tbh.

Shiny Budew

Anyways I think I am going with Fennekin and Bulbusaur. What are/did you guys choosing/chose for your Kanto starter?
I'm not sure what I'll do for my Kanto starter.

I have Chespin, so choosing Bulbasaur would be a little redundant. And as much as I like Mega Venusaur's design, I feel they could have done more with it on the Ability side of things to make it more interesting.

I'm not fond of Blastoise, and I think its Mega form looks worse. I think it's cool that it has Mega Launcher, but I have X and I'd rather use Clawitzer.

Going off of this, it seems like I should choose Charmander, although it'd feel a little redundant with the event Torchic.

Ugh, so difficult lol

((JAWS))

Johto Boy
^Yeah I know how you feel there. But Mega Charizard is worth it, even if you have to ditch the torchic.

Emperor Empoleon

Honor of Kalos
I went with Fennekin & Charmander :p

Really wanted to play with MegaZard X, and wasn't sure if I'd be able to get it elsewise since I stayed spoiler free. He turned out being Adamant too, so it went perfectly.

Overlapping types weren't a problem since I had a-lot of Pokemon in rotation.

((JAWS))

Johto Boy
I went with Fennekin & Charmander :p

Really wanted to play with MegaZard X, and wasn't sure if I'd be able to get it elsewise since I stayed spoiler free. He turned out being Adamant too, so it went perfectly.

Overlapping types weren't a problem since I had a-lot of Pokemon in rotation.

This guy right here knows whats going on haha.

bolter1

Swampert Trainer
I went double grass: Chespin and Bulbasaur. I wasn't going to use (nor did I) any non-Kalos team during the story, so choosing both starters of the same type wasn't an issue for me; I just chose the one I like the most.

((JAWS))

Johto Boy
^That seems reasonable. I am probably going to get Delphox and Venusaur though since they look like a good team.

Taodragon

Training Anaylst
Anyways I think I am going with Fennekin and Bulbusaur. What are/did you guys choosing/chose for your Kanto starter?

I picked Charmander, but I decided to use an all Kalos team so I traded it out for Pyroar and left it for my playthrough, though I brought it back out for post-game.

Psynergy

Strong Winds
Staff member
Super Mod
I picked Charmander, but I decided to use an all Kalos team so I traded it out for Pyroar and left it for my playthrough, though I brought it back out for post-game.

I also aimed for an all Kalos team from the start and picked Charmander despite having Fennekin, just so I wouldn't get any ideas to use Charmander later. This was also before I knew there were so few Kalos Pokemon. The idea of an all Kalos team was totally trashed the moment a Dunsparce appeared on Route 3, though. I don't regret my decision one bit, and Dunsparce is quite possibly my team's MVP. Sorry, Aegislash.

TheShinyMedicham

Grass Trainer
^ Dunsparce master race.

I went with Froakie and Bulbasaur since I like MegaVenusaur the best but I used an all Kalos team.

*futachimaru*

Music Maker/ Dreamer
Fennekin was absolutely amazing, but her final evolution just ruined everything.

I like Froakie's last evolution, so I'll go with him

((JAWS))

Johto Boy
Fennekin was absolutely amazing, but her final evolution just ruined everything.

I like Froakie's last evolution, so I'll go with him

So true, but Froakie just isn't as powerful as Fennekin. Also as cool as Froakie is, I can deal with Delphox.

PinkiePieFox

Team Flare Grunt
I went for a more so roleplay team, most of my team were gifts and I went for pokemon that weren't the same type.
I went Fennekin, because if you hadn't guessed, I love fox type pokemon. And fire for me, is always a good starter, as I've always used it (except for Black and White, I used Snivy.) And then chose Blubasaur, since I've never had one before I decided to give him some love!
My water type was sorted by having the gift Lapras that I then showed the world as I was asked.
But for me, Delphox was a very good choice, strong and fast. And come on, Delphox on Amie is so adorable!

Alexander18

Dragon Pokemon fan
I had trouble in Y using the fire starter against the rock gym leader so I now use the water starter in X as it is much easier. And I pick charmander in X as I like Charizard X very much.

Shraeder

It's Lit
I chose Froakie and Charmander. Originally I was going to use Megazard X post game, but it was so amazing I just couldn't resist lol. I probably would've used Gogoat instead.

((JAWS))

Johto Boy
Its official I got Pokemon Y and picked Fennekin, and this game is amazing. I also don't regret a thing choosing Fennekin. It doesnt matter what they say, because in the end like most fire starters, Fennekin will get the last laugh.

Last edited:
I did the same thing I do for every first play through of a Pokemon game, I picked the water starter. I think I am going to pick Fennekin if I play through it again though

((JAWS))

Johto Boy
My team currently is Braixen, Ivysaur, Simipour, Machop, Tyrunt and Evee (Soon to be Sylveon.) Fennekin was the best choice, I couldn't imagine using Chespin. It would be nearly impossible to train or build a team around. I also couldn't image choosing Froakie... Everyone keeps saying Delphox is ugly but FROAKIE is literally a FROG. Seriously. Its not like its much better.

ebevan91

^That seems reasonable. I am probably going to get Delphox and Venusaur though since they look like a good team.

That's what I did. But now this time around I did the opposite (Chespin and Charmander, didn't use Charmander though).

My team currently is Braixen, Ivysaur, Simipour, Machop, Tyrunt and Evee (Soon to be Sylveon.) Fennekin was the best choice, I couldn't imagine using Chespin. It would be nearly impossible to train or build a team around. I also couldn't image choosing Froakie... Everyone keeps saying Delphox is ugly but FROAKIE is literally a FROG. Seriously. Its not like its much better.

Personally I like my Chestnaught on this playthrough more than I liked my Delphox on the previous playthrough. It has a move versatile move pool than Delphox IMO.

Right now it knows Seed Bomb, Hammer Arm, Bulk Up, and Shadow Claw. I'm still doing in-game so I don't really care much about the move set, nature, or EVs at the moment.

Last edited:

((JAWS))

Johto Boy
^Thats odd because last time I checked its powerful moves come in later during early level 30s and mid 20s and even then its not much.

Status
Not open for further replies.