• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Starting out in MTG

So some friends have been asking me to join MTG and i decided hey, why not! So as a begginer I was wondering, if like other TCG's is there a modifided format? Also what would be good to buy for me to start out with? something that has some deck building staples, and has some "Good" cards? any help would be appreciated :)

Gentleman Skeleton

Okay, there are several formats to choose from in MtG, most of which supported with official products. You can look up the rules to each online.

Standard - A traditional sixty card deck made out of cards from the current block, the block that came before it and the most recent core set.

Modern - The same format, made from cards that date back to the Mirrodin block.

Vintage - All cards from every block dating back to Alpha.

Two-Headed Giant - A multi-player format.

Commander/Elder Dragon Highlander - 100 card deck, no duplicate cards except for basic lands. One legendary creature acts as the commander and all cards in the deck must be the same colors as the commander.

A good set to start with would be the 2012 core set as it explains the rules behind many of the keyword abilities. Once you get a grasp of the rules, give the Innistrad block a shot.

Last edited:

donavannj

There's also a format called Limited that is only used at set Prereleases and booster drafts that some Friday Night Magic events consist of.

The M12 (Core 2012 set) is a good place to start, like Gentleman Skeleton said, but I do believe there is actually a "starter kit" of sorts that is geared toward building your first deck and costs about $20. You can usually find it in most hobby shops that sell MTG cards as well as in big box retailers like Target or Wal-Mart.