• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Staryu & Starmie - - Mixing Up?!

Staryu

I know, I know..
Why is it that in several anime episodes, Staryu is called Starmie and vice-versa? You don't see other pokemon being called the wrong names. It makes me sad ;-;

I have an example, but I know there was more:

Legend of Dratini: Misty sends out her "Starmie" to help Ash in the water, but Staryu comes out of the Pokeball.

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
The same thing happened with Growlithe/Arcanine and Pidgeotto/Pidgeot in the early seasons. The names of similar Pokemon were mixed up.

They don't do that anymore thankfully.

starterlover1

Emperor Coordinator
Fortunately, that isn't heard anymore. I did notice that, though.

Heracross

Custom User Title
Staryu said:
Legend of Dratini: Misty sends out her "Starmie" to help Ash in the water, but Staryu comes out of the Pokeball.
Uh, what now? She clearly calls on Hitodemon, which is indeed Staryu. o_o

MechaBulba

King of the Monsters
CyberCubed said:
The same thing happened with Growlithe/Arcanine and Pidgeotto/Pidgeot in the early seasons. The names of similar Pokemon were mixed up.

They don't do that anymore thankfully.

Also Poliwhirl and poilwrath often got mixed up.
My friend also told me that in the 1rst fil a catipie has a deep voice and that Jessie and James call a Scyther a Sandslash!

The4400

Boulder Trainer
Well, i nthe first movie with the projector, i remember them calling syther alakazam. Or it was vise versa.

Crimsonmon

Boulder Trainer
Accroding to Wikipedia, the first movie mix-ups were partly intentional:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pok%C3%A9mon:_The_First_Movie said:
At one point in the American version of the film, Team Rocket incorrectly identify Scyther as Alakazam and Sandslash as Sandshrew as the Pokémon are being cloned. This was picked up after the voice recording by the producers' children, but they kept it in deliberately to see if the fans got the errors. Pidgeot is also incorrecty referred as Pidgeotto.

Although it could just be a giant sack of lies.

Lupin

Legendary Pokémon Coordinator
Crimsonmon said:
Accroding to Wikipedia, the first movie mix-ups were partly intentional:

Although it could just be a giant sack of lies.

This is wikipedia we are talking about. Anyone can say anything in it.

The naming mistakes is obviously just mistakes by the dubbers. After all, these are the people who thought Arvok could evolve.

Adzieboy

Master Trainer
They only said one pokemon's name wrong, which was the Scyther > Alakazam incident in the first movie, not 5 at once. o_O

Adzieboy said:
They only said one pokemon's name wrong, which was the Scyther > Alakazam incident in the first movie, not 5 at once. o_O
No, I distinctly remember them naming a lot of the pokemon wrong after the Scyther> Alakazam one.

Sharpshooter

Battle Factory Champion
Heracross said:
Uh, what now? She clearly calls on Hitodemon, which is indeed Staryu. o_o

There's a popular subbed version (that I also have) of the episode which has minor script error saying "Starmie! Go help Ash and Mr.Kaiza!" as she throws out Staryu. Think that's where the mix up is.

Adzieboy

Master Trainer
AndrewWonderful said:
No, I distinctly remember them naming a lot of the pokemon wrong after the Scyther> Alakazam one.

Well, maybe that was you getting it wrong, because they didn't. The only tikme they may have done is whilst looking at the clones in the tubes, and I don't remember that happening.

PDL

disenchanted
they've had pokemon mix-ups because lets face it, many of the Kanto pokemon look so simlair to one another that it would be easy for someone who isn't a fan of pokemon to confuse the two from each other.

Umbreonvision

Dark-type Trainer
Adzieboy said:
Well, maybe that was you getting it wrong, because they didn't. The only tikme they may have done is whilst looking at the clones in the tubes, and I don't remember that happening.

Aye i only remember the Scyther/Alakasam mix up too :-\

Well...it is normal for those kind of mix ups happening. I mean, seriously it is just like Arbok evolving into Seviper, a mistake.

CharizardMaster

Belgian Waffles!!!
Ash6K said:
Well...it is normal for those kind of mix ups happening. I mean, seriously it is just like Arbok evolving into Seviper, a mistake.
Yeah but the wierd thing is, Arbok is bigger than seviper, yet seviper is much stronger.

It's really not that big of a deal...so what they sound alike i'm sure the script writers are allowed to make a mistake here and there.

Satoshi

リーリエの為に戦ってるトレーナー
Sharpshooter said:
There's a popular subbed version (that I also have) of the episode which has minor script error saying "Starmie! Go help Ash and Mr.Kaiza!" as she throws out Staryu. Think that's where the mix up is.
That's why you should never trust fansubs 100% of the time. =P I saw a subbed version of the episode, and it was riddled with spelling and grammar mistakes.
Adzieboy said:
Dub flub.
CyberCubed said:
Dub flubs.