• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Steel Gym team final retirement

I recently quit being a gym leader so I figured.. why not post this team. For the majority of my time as gym leader it maintained a 41-4 win/loss ration. Even after a losing streak near the end I still had a 91% win ratio which was the highest of any OSL gym leader. I had a lot of challengers say they liked my team, calling it original for some reason where in reality its just generic rain stall. This is 3:3 steel monotype.

*Since I am no longer a gym leader this does not have to be monotype anymore.

Enjoy my crappy pictures.

186.png
73.png
472.png
437.png
385.png
598.png

http://i52.*******.com/2llyhog.gif
Harbringer (Politoed) (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Drizzle
EVs: 252 HP / 232 SDef / 24 Spd
Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Scald
- Perish Song
- Protect
- Toxic

Politoed is great on rain stall because it creates.. rain. Its pretty useless otherwise. Good stop to Baton Pass chains and its a good switch in to Heatran usually. Politoed takes out crap like Snorlax and Reuniclus should the rest of my team be incapable of it. Surprisingly bulky, I've had this survive Thundurus Thunderbolts before. Speed EVs outrun Skarmory and Jellicent which has been important before. I'm thinking of dropping the speed a little and running Defensive EVs so I can counter Tyranitar and be slower, causing Rain.

http://i53.*******.com/2qwd9ch.gif
Legacy (Tentacruel) (F) @ Black Sludge
Trait: Rain Dish
EVs: 252 HP / 208 Def / 4 SDef / 44 Spd
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Scald
- Protect
- Toxic Spikes
- Rapid Spin

My favorite Pokemon and a vital part of rain stall. Counters MOST fighting types and Infernape. Toxic Spikes are amazing as Roserade and Tentacruel are both less common, and many Rapid Spinners do badly against Tentacruel. Sadly this is my best answer to Ferrothorn though it does ok if I can burn it. EVs outrun Tyranitar and Gliscor.

http://i53.*******.com/2gx21y1.gif
Corsair (Gliscor) (F) @ Toxic Orb
Trait: Poison Heal
EVs: 252 HP / 180 Def / 76 Spd
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Substitute
- Protect
- Earthquake
- Toxic / Facade / Taunt

One of my favorite sets of all time. With Toxic Spikes down this can often solo teams on its own. Speed outruns Jolly Tyranitar ad the rest went into defense to take hits. Toxic is used to remove Rotom W, Conkledurr and Gastrodon permanently since they're so annoying but I'm considering bringing back Facade or even using Taunt.

http://i56.*******.com/2qnwev5.gif
Goliath (Bronzong) @ Leftovers
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 168 Def / 88 SDef
Relaxed Nature (+Def, -Spd)
- Earthquake
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic

Good defense against sand, and in the rain a great Dragon counter. Lays Stealth Rocks and beats Gliscor in pretty much every form. Toxic is filler but often catches Jellicent and Rotom switching in which is great, BECAUSE I HATE THEM. EVs are focused on defense with some in Special Defense to take Draco Meteors better but mostly to take on Excadrill and Landorus.

http://i51.*******.com/w0qc5u.gif
Harvester (Jirachi) @ Leftovers
Trait: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 212 SDef / 44 Spd
Careful Nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
- Thunder
- Iron Head
- Wish
- Protect

Latias and Latios counter, but a great check to stuff like Reuniclus and Tyranitar. Thunder has 108 base power with my nature but I need speed and defense more than special attack. Thunder breaks Magnezone's Subs in two hits so I can USUALLY beat it even with SubCharge.

http://i53.*******.com/29z8m07.gif
Clanker (Ferrothorn) (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SDef
Careful Nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
- Spikes
- Protect
- Leech Seed
- Power Whip

Leech Seed Protect Ferrothorn does not die in the rain. If I have Stealth Rocks down and a counter switches in on Leech Seed its going to take around 37.5% before it forces me out while I gain most of my HP back due to Protect. Hard counters most Latios, even switching directly in on HP Fire assuming its Raining. Beats most bulky waters though Scald is a pain.

Problems:

Scrafty - It 6-0s if it gets lucky with Shed Skin, or if I simply can not status it and Moxie starts powering up.

Ferrothorn - Its pretty good at covering me in Spikes. If I can burn it early great, if not its going to put enormous pressure on me.

Sigylph - Not common, but my only hope is to remove it with Jirachi. If it runs speed EVs I have to hope for a Thunder Crit.

Rotom W - STAB / Will-O-Wisp ****s my whole team. If I can get Gliscor in on it it almost always wins but I have a habit of mispredicting the Hydro Pumps.

Virizion - I never know what to switch to. CMer is easy enough to deal with but without Toxic Spikes the Swords Dancer can be trouble.

Status - Ugh Scald. I wish I could fit Heal Bell on the team somewhere. Why can't Bronzong learn it!?

emilyshortcake

good left undone
I don't see any problems with it,and if it maintained that good of a record,eeeez nice.
blue harvesttt,your genius is showing D:

chanseychansey77

Elite Trainer
Hmm... Your counters seem to be pretty well dealt with with a SD Virizion on your side.

It should out speed Scrafty after a DD (though I don't know whether Close Combat will OHKO).

Ferrothorn can't really do anything against it (unless some newbie slaps Aerial Ace on it) while it gets Close Combated.

Sigilyph, on the slight chance you see him, can be ruined by Stone Edge/hurt by HP (Ice).

Rotom-W I wish I had a damage calculator for, but he can't really do anything to Virizion besides Paralyzing or allowing it to set up while Virizion can Leaf Blade it.

As for Virizion herself... Aerial Ace? (gets shot)

As for a slot for Virizion... Bronzong might be considered expendable... But I'm not sure. It seems like you'll lose an integral part any way...

But, a fantastic team, no doubt. And I enjoyed the "crappy" pictures as well.

Last edited:

ultimatedarkrai

Forbidden Empire!
i probably have no right commenting on a past OSL member, but i have to recommend firepunch over protect on jirachi for ferro, forretress, etc. cause you practically get a protect from iron head.

GOLDENCRS

I'm a f***** Ponyta
The best part about this is the pictures. Anyway, Blue, I think that you are probably one of the best team creators ever, and that I strive to be as good as you. (When I get my new computer)

darkrai's_shadow

Fear of the Dark!
really the only thing i can see wrong is if your politoed dies early on, then other weather teams will have a ball with you, but other then that, there isnt anything really bad with it

Fire Punch on a rain team won't do much. So protect is ok to scout some moves and get a wish in
Also, BH just probably brings in Toed and switches out. It is practically useless anyway.
You should have of made a gym team using your 5 Sweeper + a Revenge Killer Method. Hahaha

But nice team <3

windsong

WEST SIDE
anyways, this is almost exactly the same team Heist ran during the Garchomp phase, it's a bit sun weak, but w/e nobody gives a **** about sun, so yeah, good team!!!! (i'm sorry for the short rate I'll have a more detailed one later, but for now I'd throw Ice Fang onto Glis for random **** like Balloon SD Terakion).

Remorph

Alone With Everybody
Interesting art. And you retured as a gym leader? News to me.

It seems solid. Too bad I never leave home without my scrafty. Virzavilion cant really do too much to Bronzong.

I don't see any problems with it,and if it maintained that good of a record,eeeez nice.
blue harvesttt,your genius is showing D:

I don't know if generic rain stall + bad GIFs counts as genius but thank you either way!

Hmm... Your counters seem to be pretty well dealt with with a SD Virizion on your side.

It should out speed Scrafty after a DD (though I don't know whether Close Combat will OHKO).

Ferrothorn can't really do anything against it (unless some newbie slaps Aerial Ace on it) while it gets Close Combated.

Sigilyph, on the slight chance you see him, can be ruined by Stone Edge/hurt by HP (Ice).

Rotom-W I wish I had a damage calculator for, but he can't really do anything to Virizion besides Paralyzing or allowing it to set up while Virizion can Leaf Blade it.

As for Virizion herself... Aerial Ace? (gets shot)

As for a slot for Virizion... Bronzong might be considered expendable... But I'm not sure. It seems like you'll lose an integral part any way...

But, a fantastic team, no doubt. And I enjoyed the "crappy" pictures as well.

Virizion could work. It won't counter Scrafty but I guess its an improvement because its one less thing to set up on.

i probably have no right commenting on a past OSL member, but i have to recommend firepunch over protect on jirachi for ferro, forretress, etc. cause you practically get a protect from iron head.

If I wasn't running Rain I would maybe do it. I hate Protect-less Jirachi though. Its such a bad set. Most things can do 31%+ to Jirachi as to overwhelm Wish's healing but few things can do 56%+. Protect helps stall for Poison and scout choice items too. Its invaluable.

The best part about this is the pictures. Anyway, Blue, I think that you are probably one of the best team creators ever, and that I strive to be as good as you. (When I get my new computer)

Nah, I'm an average player at best. This team practically plays by itself. Switch to counter - use status move - use protect until you win - hope to god they don't run scrafty. There isn't much thought to it.

really the only thing i can see wrong is if your politoed dies early on, then other weather teams will have a ball with you, but other then that, there isnt anything really bad with it

Yeah, Politoed is important. Luckily its useless early game so it only switches in on Heatran or I guess Ninetales. Its useful late game to clean up last poke curselax type threats but otherwise its usually dead weight.

Fire Punch on a rain team won't do much. So protect is ok to scout some moves and get a wish in
Also, BH just probably brings in Toed and switches out. It is practically useless anyway.
You should have of made a gym team using your 5 Sweeper + a Revenge Killer Method. Hahaha

But nice team <3

LO Heatran
CB Scizor
Mixed Metagross
LO Latios
Mixed Thundurus
Scarf Tyranitar

???

lol i love how you all worship bh

The important thing is that I love me, and I do love me a lot.

anyways, this is almost exactly the same team Heist ran during the Garchomp phase, it's a bit sun weak, but w/e nobody gives a **** about sun, so yeah, good team!!!! (i'm sorry for the short rate I'll have a more detailed one later, but for now I'd throw Ice Fang onto Glis for random **** like Balloon SD Terakion).

Agh I had Ice Fang on Gliscor at first but I ended up losing to stuff like Rotom W and Gastrodon. Toxic does just as well in most cases even against Terrakion. Facade is cool and I might use that again.. maybe even Taunt because Goddamnit I hate Skarmory and Ferrothorn.

Interesting art. And you retured as a gym leader? News to me.

It seems solid. Too bad I never leave home without my scrafty. Virzavilion cant really do too much to Bronzong.

Nah, I'm done being gym leader for now. I hate Scrafty so much :(

I was thinking of some changes now that I don't need to run monotype.

Toxic / Seismic Toss / Wish / Softboiled Chansey over Jirachi.
Toxic > Haze on Politoed (stops Taunt Jellient)
Gyro Ball > Toxic on Bronzong (Sub CM Roar Latias)
Taunt > Toxic on Gliscor (lets me PP stall Reuniclus if it HAS to, and ****s Ferrothorn)

I think that improves the way the team does against most things except maybe Reuniclus. In theory Politoed can stall some PP and force it out a few times and in a pinch Gliscor can beat it with substall + Taunt.

Remorph

Alone With Everybody
You hate Scrafty? A good Staraptor BraveBird should OHKO, as long as it's not a Bulk Up. Fighting type moves (Which are common as heck) beat it up. Infernape just chuckles, and Close Combats.

You hate Scrafty? A good Staraptor BraveBird should OHKO, as long as it's not a Bulk Up. Fighting type moves (Which are common as heck) beat it up. Infernape just chuckles, and Close Combats.

Yeah, none of them can switch in, and worse, few of its counters are stallish.

Also I just noticed this at Smogon. I think I'll go ahead and steal the superior Tentacruel EVs now..

Eviolite Chansey > Bronzong is something I never considered. It kinda beats Landorus unless its Swords Dance and I haven't seen a SD Landorus yet so..

Remorph

Alone With Everybody
Yeah, none of them can switch in, and worse, few of its counters are stallish.

Also I just noticed this at Smogon. I think I'll go ahead and steal the superior Tentacruel EVs now..

Eviolite Chansey > Bronzong is something I never considered. It kinda beats Landorus unless its Swords Dance and I haven't seen a SD Landorus yet so..

I saw an SD Landorus today. lol

Chansey is probably a better option than Bronzong, but why not use something that can benefit from the water boost? I'm thinking the pokemon of the week here. Ludicolo. Pull out the party hats.

Remorph

Alone With Everybody
Ludicolo might work on another team, but I see no place for it here.

Yeah, but it does a good job. I mean, have you seen the 2010 VGC championship final round? But yeah, I see what you mean. Man, whenever I use my Scrafty, it doesn't do a lot of damage often, but maybe that's just my set. But I can seriously see Scrafty cutting through your team like fabric.

cara.

Nerd status
@ your threats
Most virizion are CM sets which are countered by Rankurusu, latias, latios, Tornadus

TBH gliscor seems to be the weak link of your team so replace him with one of the afore mentioned pokemon.

As for rotom-W there is no better counter than gastrodon Immune to one STAB and Absorbs the other, gastrodon would also work as your thundurus counter which everyone knows is annoying af two sets here for your liking pick one and replace whichever pokemon you feel is lagging behind

Gastrodon (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Storm Drain
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 SDef
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Earth Power
- Ice Beam
- Surf
- Recover
My personal favourite set, HP is already sky high so EVs are distributed to SPdef

and the ever so popular standard set

Gastrodon (M) @ Life Orb
- Toxic
- Ice Beam
- Scald
- Recover

cara.

Nerd status
Apparently I can't edit my Post because I was going to add something else I had forgotten and it said "DERP SORRY NOT ENUFF CHARACTERS MUST HAEV OVAH 10"

But anyways.....A note about tornadus, counter to scrafty assuming it has 1DD under its belt and you're beneficial nature / scarfed

Ninja Dewott

Ice Cold Fire
Curse + Gyro Ball ferrothorn can deal with scrafty, as long as you send it in early enough. Trust me, my old team's scrafty died to Psycho Cut's damn ferrothorn so many times.

Anyway, awesome team. The one change i'd make is dropping thunder on Jirachi. Perhaps have Drain Punch as a replacement? It does as much damage to ferrothorn/forretress etc in rain as Fire Punch. Recovers some HP too.

Meh. I wish I could challenge your gym now, and use scrafty ;)

Btw, EPIC PICTURES!

@ your threats
Most virizion are CM sets which are countered by Rankurusu, latias, latios, Tornadus

TBH gliscor seems to be the weak link of your team so replace him with one of the afore mentioned pokemon.

As for rotom-W there is no better counter than gastrodon Immune to one STAB and Absorbs the other, gastrodon would also work as your thundurus counter which everyone knows is annoying af two sets here for your liking pick one and replace whichever pokemon you feel is lagging behind

Gastrodon (M) @ Life Orb
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 SDef
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Earth Power
- Ice Beam
- Surf
- Recover
My personal favourite set, HP is already sky high so EVs are distributed to SPdef

and the ever so popular standard set

Gastrodon (M) @ Life Orb
- Toxic
- Ice Beam
- Scald
- Recover

Nah, I don't see much reason to run Gastrodon over Chansey. At least Chansey can Wish stuff and take LO Landorus Earthquakes while Healing all the damage.

Curse + Gyro Ball ferrothorn can deal with scrafty, as long as you send it in early enough. Trust me, my old team's scrafty died to Psycho Cut's damn ferrothorn so many times.

Anyway, awesome team. The one change i'd make is dropping thunder on Jirachi. Perhaps have Drain Punch as a replacement? It does as much damage to ferrothorn/forretress etc in rain as Fire Punch. Recovers some HP too.

Meh. I wish I could challenge your gym now, and use scrafty ;)

Btw, EPIC PICTURES!

I don't think Ferrothorn will survive +1 Hi Jump Kick and it probably dies to Drain Punch faster than I will to Gyro Ball.

same thing still applies. why would you post something so generic...?

Because, despite it being a generic example of rain stall it is not a very common team archetype. Not nearly as common as sand, sun offense, and other standard crap. That, and it was a gym team that is now retired.

More importantly I wanted to make more bad GIFs and Pure's RMT only had 6 Pokemon.

Plagiarism!!! I'll report you to the highest authority in competitive pokemon, Wilechase!

Scary.