• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Steel types only team

Buuz

Smash Trainer
Hi, i was trying out this idea i had for a steel type only team and i would like your opinion. Note: this team will not be used for competitive reasons, i'm just not good enough for that (sadly). This team will only be used in-game on Diamond/Pearl/Battle Revolution/HG/SS. Also, some pokemon haven't been completely trained to the same stats below (these will be marked with a *), and they are all at lv.60. This is why i also don't care too much about the abilities and attached items.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Adamant Metagross
Ability: clear body
Attacks: Hammer Arm, Meteor Mash, Earthquake, Giga Impact

Adamant Skarmory
Ability: sturdy
Attacks: Toxic, Steel Wing, Drill peck, Roost

Adamant Scizor*
Ability: Technician
Attacks: X Scizzor, Iron Head, Brick Break, Quick Attack

Modest Magnezone
Ability: Magnet Pull
Attacks: Tri Attack, Mirror Coat, Flash Cannon, Thunderbolt

Adamant Lucario (salac berry attached)
Ability: Steadfast
Attacks: endure, reversal, shadow claw, protect/extremespeed

Modest Empoleon
Ability: Torrent
Attacks: grass knot, ice beam, flash cannon, hydro cannon

Noctourniquet

∆∆∆
Adamant Metagross
Ability: clear body
Attacks: Bullet Punch, Meteor Mash, Earthquake, Explosion
Firstly, Metagross loves its Bullet Punch. STAB Boosted priority coming off of its enormous attack can take care of most threats, and for everything else, Meteor Mash can hit harder. Earthquake is for coverage, and Explosion is there if you need to go out and do some enormous damage. Do not use moves like Giga Impact, ever. They are terrible because you can use the recharge turn far more productively.

Adamant Skarmory
Ability: sturdy
Attacks: Spikes, Stealth Rock, Drill peck, Roost
Even in-game, Entry hazards are incredibly useful because you can do great amounts of damage without even having to attack, and Skamory sets them up brilliantly. Your other two moves are fine. I know you don't want to redo natures, but Careful would really be the best choice here, IMO.

Adamant Scizor*
Attacks: Bug Bite, Bullet Punch, Brick Break, Swords Dance
You should be abusing Scizor's ability. Bullet Punch is unarguably its best move, since with STAB, Priority, and Technician, it is simply lethal. Swords Dance is in there to boost your Atk. when you can. X-Scissor will do for the attack, although you should really try for Bug Bite if you have access to HG/SS.

Modest Magnezone
Attacks: Tri Attack, Mirror Coat, Flash Cannon, Thunderbolt
I know nothing about Magnezone, except that it should have HP Fire or Ice. Someone else can do this rate, as I will not rate a Pokémon that I have not had sufficient experience with.

Adamant Lucario (salac berry attached)
Attacks: endure, reversal, Swords Dance, Crunch
This didn't need too much work, really. Swords Dance is so that you can hit much harder when it comes to using Reversal, and Crunch is to hit Ghosts harder than you already could.

Modest Empoleon
Attacks: grass knot, ice beam, Agility, Surf
Again, don't use Hydro Cannon for the same reason as Giga Impact. It is a horrible move. Simply change that for Surf, which is far better because of added accuracy and higher damage over two turns, and Agility is used over Flash Cannon because Flash Cannon gets very poor coverage alongside your other moves. Agilitypoleon is pretty deadly in the right hands.
Suggestions in bold. Hope it helps. :)

Bardische

Elegance.
I'm not particularly sure about your format, but what the heck.

Metagross @ Leftovers
Nature: Adamant
Ability: Clear Body
- Agility
- Explosion
- Bullet Punch/Meteor Mash
- Earthquake

I believe this is your lead? :D

Skarmory @ Shed Shell
Nature: Bold
Ability: Keen Eye
- Toxic
- Roost
- Drill Peck
- Stealth Rock

MAGNEZONE WOULD KILL YOU IF ONE WAS SENT OUT.

Scizor @ Life Orb
- Bullet Punch
- Bug Bite
- Swords Dance
- Superpower

Superpower dishes more damage more damage, but Brick Break would be in favor if you wish to break those darn screens. Besides, Superpower has the a lowered defense. I think. I just got back to rating this year -_-.

Magnezone @ Light Clay
Nature: Modest
- Thunderbolt
- Flash Cannon
- Light Screen
- Reflect

Maybe your team needs support? :D

Lucario @ Focus Sash
Nature: Timid
- Aura Sphere
- Shadow Ball
- HP Ice
- Counter

My personal Lucario, actually. Lessee if it would work :D

Empoleon @ Choice Specs
- Surf
- Ice Beam
- Grass Knot
- HP Electric

Sorry, no word on Empoleon in my mind. Go for SpecsLeon :D

Buuz

Smash Trainer
Thanks for the replies. I took some of your advice and edited my team here and there. I don't have access to HG/SS (yet, i just saw their European release date to be confirmed), so attacks as bullet punch for my Scizor will not be possible. I have marked changes bold in my team.

Metagross @ Leftovers
Ability: Clear Body
- Hammer Arm/Brick Break
- Explosion
- Meteor Mash
- Earthquake

Not much to change here, except replacing giga impact with explosion and considering replacing hammer arm with brick break.

Skarmory @ Shed Shell
Ability: Keen Eye
- Toxic
- Roost
- Drill Peck
- Stealth Rock

This item. What is it exactly, and where can i get it? Isn't it the item obtained from Hoenn's Shoal Cave? Anyway, i was trying to get bold nature, but after trying for a long time i gave up. I just don't have enough patience, as for other things that might follow. Stealth Rock has been on my mind for a while, but you guys convinced me to teach it to Skarmory.

Scizor @ Life Orb
- Iron Head (bullet punch isn't possible, i don't have HG/SS so this one will be replaced by
- Brick Break (bug bite's the same as bullet punch, not available)
- X-Scissor
- Quick Attack/Sword Dance

I wish i could abuse this technician ability some more :(. Sadly, i can't because i don't have access to HG/SS yet. That's why bullet punch and bug bite aren't here as well.

Magnezone @ Light Clay
- Thunderbolt
- Flash Cannon
- Light Screen
- Reflect

Great tip, a little supporting just might be what my team needs! :)

Lucario @ Salac Berry
- Reversal
- Endure
- Sword Dance
- Crunch

I'm not into stat-raising moves, but sword dance could help out here. Crunch instead of shadow claw might be worth trying out.

Empoleon @ Choice Specs
- Surf/Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Grass Knot
- Flash Cannon

I've always been having a hard time choosing between surf, hydro pump and hydro cannon. Hydro Cannon hits harder but it'll cost me a turn. Surf can deal more damage as you said, but it'll hit my ally in a double battle. Hydro Pump is between-in, but has lower accuracy and low PP. For now, i'll stick with either surf or hydro pump. Empoleon's already been trained, i don't like the idea of starting all over again. Therefore, i'd like to make this guy the best i can do as it is.

Oh, and if any of you wonder why there isn't a hidden power attack in here, here's the answer: i don't have the patience to teach and figure out the perfect hidden power. :)

If it isn't too much, i'd like you opinion again on my edited team. Much appreciated. :)

Last edited:

Noctourniquet

∆∆∆
Thanks for the replies. I took some of your advice and edited my team here and there. I don't have access to HG/SS (yet, i just saw their European release date to be confirmed), so attacks as bullet punch for my Scizor will not be possible. I have marked changes bold in my team.
You can get Bullet Punch at Lv. 0 in Platinum.

Not much to change here, except replacing giga impact with explosion and considering replacing hammer arm with brick break.
STAB Bullet Punch makes Metagross into a good revenge killer. Bullet Punch > Hammer Arm or Brick Break.

This item. What is it exactly, and where can i get it? Isn't it the item obtained from Hoenn's Shoal Cave? Anyway, i was trying to get bold nature, but after trying for a long time i gave up. I just don't have enough patience, as for other things that might follow. Stealth Rock has been on my mind for a while, but you guys convinced me to teach it to Skarmory.
This item allows you to always switch out of an opponent, and it is very underestimated. It is obtained on Route 228, or attached to wild Venomoth, Beautifly, and Dustox sometimes.

I wish i could abuse this technician ability some more . Sadly, i can't because i don't have access to HG/SS yet. That's why bullet punch and bug bite aren't here as well.
See my earlier point. Bullet Punch becomes available at Lv. 0. (i.e. via Move Relearner)

I've always been having a hard time choosing between surf, hydro pump and hydro cannon. Hydro Cannon hits harder but it'll cost me a turn. Surf can deal more damage as you said, but it'll hit my ally in a double battle. Hydro Pump is between-in, but has lower accuracy and low PP. For now, i'll stick with either surf or hydro pump. Empoleon's already been trained, i don't like the idea of starting all over again. Therefore, i'd like to make this guy the best i can do as it is.
Agility > Flash Cannon, as Flash Cannon gets poor coverage while Agility turns you into a dangerous Sweeper.

Hope it helps.

Buuz

Smash Trainer
You can get Bullet Punch at Lv. 0 in Platinum.

STAB Bullet Punch makes Metagross into a good revenge killer. Bullet Punch > Hammer Arm or Brick Break.

This item allows you to always switch out of an opponent, and it is very underestimated. It is obtained on Route 228, or attached to wild Venomoth, Beautifly, and Dustox sometimes.

See my earlier point. Bullet Punch becomes available at Lv. 0. (i.e. via Move Relearner)

Agility > Flash Cannon, as Flash Cannon gets poor coverage while Agility turns you into a dangerous Sweeper.

Hope it helps.
I forgot to tell i also don't have Platinum. I only have Diamond and Pearl and the 3rd gen games. So bullet punch still isn't available to me. As for agility, it might be worth the time, but it'll mean i have to restart one of my games (TM Grass Knot) and taking a lot of effort to replace 1 move of just 1 pokemon. Also, doesn't agility leave me wide-open for attacks? Even when my Empoleon has decent defenses (and it has), a powerful ground/fighting/electric attack could kill it before i have the chance to properly use my speed boost. Raising a completely new Empoleon isn't exactly what i'm after either, it's fine the way it is. He has won many battles for me in the past, so he's good enough for me. Any good, other alternatives for Flash Cannon would be welcome though.

Still, i really appreciate your tips. Thanks! :D

edit: as i am typing this, i am breeding for an adamant natured Scyther i sent from Firered to Pearl. :D

Last edited: