• Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Steven Universe: It's over isn't it?

Best gem?

• Steven

Votes: 15 17.2%
  • Pearl

Votes: 22 25.3%
  • Garnet

Votes: 26 29.9%
  • Amethyst

Votes: 24 27.6%
  • Lapis

Votes: 31 35.6%
  • Peridot

Votes: 40 46.0%
  • Ruby/Sapphire

Votes: 12 13.8%
  • Jasper

Votes: 10 11.5%
  • Rose

Votes: 9 10.3%
  • Other

Votes: 4 4.6%

• Total voters

mehmeh1

Top Manager of the Dragon of Dojima
Okay, I am soooooooo dissatisfied with the ending for one particular reason:

We didn't get to see his MOM!!!!!! :(

I was so hoping Rose would return and heal Steven to keep him from dying, making him fully human. That would've been the perfect send-off for him to live a normal life. There's no more threat, so no more reason for him to keep his gem. He can go off and be his own person, and have his mother back. Why couldn't we have Rose????

I'm so sad.
TBH, that would've ruined Change Your Mind, don't forget that she's GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONE

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
I didn't ball my eyes out like I thought I would, but this was still a touching and bittersweet finale that felt like the best resolution possible.

The hardest part to sit through though was Steven's negative spiral when he was saying how he's a horrible monster and that he's not as good as he used to be. I always saw myself in Steven throughout the series for various reasons, so hearing him feel this way & say those things really hit close to home.

If anything, I just wish the Diamonds & Spinel got their own goodbye scene in "The Future" since they kind of earned it for helping get through to Steven and showing that they're trying to change. Even Steven just saying he told them would've been fine.

Last edited:

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
As quoted from Change Your Mind: “she’s gone.” Also I thought Change Your Mind was about Steven needing both the human and Gem sides of himself to survive.

My thought was given Rose's healing abilities, she could just heal Steven afterward they separate.

AuraChannelerChris

Angry Subway Employee ~Eat Fresh~
Very funny, Rebecca. You kept obscuring the left side of her face in the greenhouse. (You all know who I'm talking about.)

Red and Blue

Eyeball and Aquamarine are totally going to harass Steven while he is on the road

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
I still have mixed feelings about Pink even now, after the show has ended.

She was a spoiled brat who threw tantrums and caused destruction everywhere she went. Throwing a tantrum got her Earth, but it only ended up blowing up in her face, literally, upon discovering life exists on the worlds they're conquering. She finally decides to turn a new leaf, but can't even keep a composure of selflessness and critical thinking throughout the war, bubbling Bismuth and telling no one about it, faking her shattering to win the war - which gets almost every gem corrupted - and lying about being Pink Diamond in the first place. She promises Pearl the world if she agrees to the one thing that will scar her for life, only to leave Pearl for a man she just met.

She bore Steven and genuinely loved him, but never stopped to consider her tracks, if the threats were finally over. If it all wouldn't come back to haunt him. To be honest, no one has caused Steven more harm than his own mother. That's what makes me the most conflicted. All of his trauma, his self-hatred, his suffering, was because of her, and her tantrums.

And yet, she was willing to give her life for everyone...

Sceptrigon

Armored Legend
I still have mixed feelings about Pink even now, after the show has ended.

She was a spoiled brat who threw tantrums and caused destruction everywhere she went. Throwing a tantrum got her Earth, but it only ended up blowing up in her face, literally, upon discovering life exists on the worlds they're conquering. She finally decides to turn a new leaf, but can't even keep a composure of selflessness and critical thinking throughout the war, bubbling Bismuth and telling no one about it, faking her shattering to win the war - which gets almost every gem corrupted - and lying about being Pink Diamond in the first place. She promises Pearl the world if she agrees to the one thing that will scar her for life, only to leave Pearl for a man she just met.

She bore Steven and genuinely loved him, but never stopped to consider her tracks, if the threats were finally over. If it all wouldn't come back to haunt him. To be honest, no one has caused Steven more harm than his own mother. That's what makes me the most conflicted. All of his trauma, his self-hatred, his suffering, was because of her, and her tantrums.

And yet, she was willing to give her life for everyone...

I think the main idea of this is that no matter how good your intentions are, there is always something negative that can come out of it. Pink wanted the best intentions for everyone around her, but she couldn’t comprehend the consequences. That’s how it is for basically everyone really, that people don’t typically think that far ahead on how the future will turn out for someone. It’s not good to think too much on the possibilities of what might or might not happen since that would prevent them from doing anything at all. Plus, she had to deal with issues regarding her own self-worth. With her own upbringing by the Diamonds, she was likely seen as inferior and had to constantly find ways to prove herself (like getting and managing a colony). She was fascinated by everyone else around her and believed they were better than her.

I just read an interview with Rebecca stating how Rose is an example of self-destruction, and she is her own worst enemy in a sense. After the Gem war, she became well aware of the pain she caused for others and believed everyone would ultimately be better off without her. That would be why she gave up her physical form for Steven since she didn’t think she would be capable in taking good care of him. Overall, it was a tragedy.

Link to article: https://www.vulture.com/2020/03/steven-universe-future-finale-rebecca-sugar.html

Last edited:

AuraChannelerChris

Angry Subway Employee ~Eat Fresh~
Pink was simply a hyperactive child with adult tools at her disposal. There was no way she wasn't going to avoid causing several huge mistakes by her wild excitement with that much authority.

Captain Jigglypuff

Leader of Jigglypuff Army
Pink was simply a hyperactive child with adult tools at her disposal. There was no way she wasn't going to avoid causing several huge mistakes by her wild excitement with that much authority.
Pink was pretty much like several politicians who shall not be named.

Missingno.Fan

I loved the series. I didn’t get into it until season 3, but it will still always have a special place in my heart. I almost cried at the final episode. I hope we get more spin offs in the future.

Missingno.Fan

Forgive the double post, but I recently rewatched the series. I had nostalgia flashback to the summer of 2016 when I was hyped for Summer of Steven, as well as Sun and Moon. I have fond memories of volunteering at the local museum and getting home and watching a new episode on the CN app. It was good times, and I wish I can feel that way again.

Last edited:

Mr. Reloaded

All encompassing
Was I the only one that just didn't like Future that much?

Captain Jigglypuff

I thought a few things should have gone differently and some cliffhangers resolved. Mostly the entire Emerald, Mysterious Woman that Pearl had met and followed, Sneeples, and the Chest stories. Rebecca Sugar said many times in interviews that there were no filler episodes and everyone and everything had a part of the much bigger story of the series and that no character would only ever appear just once and be background characters. But what happened? The Mysterious Woman that looked like Rose that Pearl had met never returned or was mentioned again, the Chest’s contents are still unknown despite four seasons of build up of Steven not being ready for its contents and now its open and empty, Sneeples were mentioned quite a few times and there were even hints that Yellowtail and Onion might have been connected to them somehow, and the worst offender was how Emerald was only in one episode even though Sugar promised that she’d be back in the future in a podcast. She even said that Emerald would be one of the major antagonists that Steven would eventually meet and help Lars and the Off Colors defeat. There is way too much about Emerald that we don’t know still including her exact ranking among the Gems. Are Emeralds second in command after the Diamonds and a separate group that only listen to White Diamond while Yellow and Blue take military commands from them? How many Emeralds are there? Do they get a specific Gem to assist them like the Diamonds do since they are a higher class Gem? These are things that we need answers for! Not seeing Steven creating a tv show or him with Onion for the day.

Missingno.Fan

Steven Universe Future seemed kind of rushed, TBH. Maybe rushed isn’t the right word but it felt like there was random, semi-pointless “filler” for the lack of a better word. I think it would be cool if they did spin off movies like what Adventure Time did.

Captain Jigglypuff

Steven Universe Future seemed kind of rushed, TBH. Maybe rushed isn’t the right word but it felt like there was random, semi-pointless “filler” for the lack of a better word. I think it would be cool if they did spin off movies like what Adventure Time did.
That’s what confused me the most about Future. It mostly felt like filler which is something Rebecca Sugar said would never happen and mostly kept the series that way except for the unresolved plots that I had previously mentioned. Future should have been much longer and given us more of a glimpse of what had happened since White Diamond and Spinel’s reformations and why the Earth was considered to be so important to the Gens other than it was Pink’s colony. We needed to se if Onion and Yellowtail were actually aliens as they were completely different looking than other humans even Steven who had a much pinker skin to e than other humans besides Lars after Steven healed him. We know that came from Rose/Pink. So why were Yellowtail and Onion so yellow? And Onion doesn’t seem to age at all which is both similar and different than Steven’s aging process which he can either greatly slow down or speed up at will. At least five years had passed and Onion hasn’t looked like he’s aged at all whereas Connie looks much older and Steven looks more like a teenager. Emerald really needed a couple more episodes because she was presented as being this huge threat to everyone and yet that went nowhere. And that mysterious woman Pearl was following only made a cameo in one more episode before never being seen again yet it was made clear that she was important somehow and that we’d see much more of her.

TheWanderingMist

Paladin of the Snow Queen
Future was a mixed bag, but we got "Fragments" out of it, and that is definitely in the top 5 episodes of the show.