• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Steven Universe - Season 1

PokeMaster366

media-8418526769763864872-edstevenuniverse_2x1__384087.jpg

With Season 1 about to approach its end and Season 2 close on the horizon, I thought it would be a good idea to start this discussion thread. For those of you that are fans of the show or even just watch it because nothing else is on, this is the place to talk about it.

Attachments

• media-8418526769763864872-edstevenuniverse_2x1__384087.jpg
    media-8418526769763864872-edstevenuniverse_2x1__384087.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 0

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
I thought this show was going to be really stupid when it was announced, but I was actually pleasantly surprised by it. Steven is actually a lot less grating than I thought he was going to be and the mix of comedy and seriousness is perfect IMO.

Symphony

Seasons, they turn..
I've watched a few episodes and the concept is nice. The character designs are the thing that drives me away from the show sadly. I wish American artists now a days spent more time creating likable characters for cartoons. :(

PokeMaster366

I've watched a few episodes and the concept is nice. The character designs are the thing that drives me away from the show sadly. I wish American artists now a days spent more time creating likable characters for cartoons. :(

I'm not sure if you're referring to the physical designs or their personalities. If it's the former, I can understand. A lot of the better cartoons nowadays look very similar to one another in terms of visuals. If it's the latter, I'm certainly not seeing it. At least so far, the cast as a whole has been pretty likable, and a lot of them get to enjoy multiple layers of personality. Even Steven, who most would assume would just be the generic annoying, energetic goofball at default gets to enjoy having some depth to him, and that depth really shows in episodes like "Rose's Room", "Lars and the Cool Kids", "An Indirect Kiss", and "So Many Birthdays", just to name a few.

PokeMaster366

Welp, we just got past the season 1.1 finale, and what are my thoughts on it?

It was AMAZING! I didn't think this episode would do such a great job at keeping me on my toes! I honestly though that gem from the mirror would be your everyday imprisoned villain that wanted to take over or destroy the world, but no, Lapis Lazuli was actually pretty likeable. She didn't seem all that malicious or someone you should hate, even when she was attacking the other gems and stole the ocean. She just wanted to go home...to space...Oookay. Kind of bizarre that the Gems (or at least Lapis) are from space, but it's a nice thing to learn.

Another thing to give the writers credit for are the sheer amount of callbacks we got to previous episodes from the appearance of the Purple Puma to Lion's teleporting roar to Steven's magic healing spit to the more subtle suggestions of corrupted Gems in Monster Buddies. There were probably some more references I didn't catch, but they certainly didn't get in the way of the two-parter. We even got something to tie into the starting episode of Season 1.2 with Greg messing up his leg and his van. It was nice to learn more about the Gem-folk as well and that there are more of them out there.

Now for the fight. Oh my god, the fight. This fight was just such a pleasure for my eyes to behold. It all felt like something I would've expected out of Teen Titans. Steven using his powers didn't feel like it came out of nowhere, either. We got good enough foreshadowing through Gem Glow, Bubble Buddies, Lion 2: The Movie, and maybe Monster Buddies, so the new powers didn't feel tacked on at all.

On top of all that, we got some funny moments (my personal favorites being Garnet jumping out of the van and Lars getting pushed into the ocean at the end for having too many daydreams about getting laid getting a girlfriend from another place) and some real cute and heartwarming moments like when Connie was resting on Steven during the ride and the interactions between Steven and Lapis.

Overall, this was just a very great episode, and I am pumped for Season 1.2. See you all then!

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
Okay, now my interest is piqued. I really liked this finale, there was plenty of action, and the plot brings up a lot of unanswered questions and interesting implications. It seems like there might be some sort of interplanetary war between the gems, and based on Lapis' side of the story, I have a feeling Garnet, Amethyst, and Pearl are hiding something and the situation may not be so black and white. They claim that Lapis is "corrupted" but I didn't see anything in her that would make me believe that, sure she sucked up the ocean but that was because she was trying to get home. I just love it when you have these situations when you don't exactly know who to trust, it makes the storyline more unpredictable and exciting.

Anyway, I can't wait to see more of this, good thing we won't have to wait too long for new episodes.

Last edited:

AlbinoDino

Icy Swirls
I knew I was right for liking this show from the start. Drawn well and is certainly going to have a great story, I can't wait for more.

VampirateMace

Internet Overlord
Finally, someone made a thread for this show!

I get the stylistic complaint, and I do think the style revamp (verses the more realistic pilot) was intended to appeal to American kids who are used to similar styles. But the style does make the goofier moments come off well (like when Pearl is freaking out), and I'd like to argue that the chars are very likable even if not so much to look at, as personality is a HUGE chunk of likability.

Oh man, I loved these two episodes, I was glued to the screen. A little while back, I'd posted over on deviantArt this image where I imagined Centipeetle as Gem, since the logic was all there (the monsters have Gems, the Gems can change form, the Centipeetle was scared, the other Gems had to have gone somewhere), so, I was thrilled to be correct, but I didn't expect a reveal of it so soon even if it were true (WHICH IT IS!) Though these episodes left me with more questions. - Now with the way the dialog went, I too, am unsure of what 'good' is in this situations. Why was Pearl okay with using another Gem as a teaching tool? And her convo with Garnet at the end 'What does this mean for us?' Is there something you three aren't telling us? Why did you originally come to Earth? Why did Lapis feel the need to admit that she didn't believe in Earth? How did she end up in the mirror. What's home like? - I guess at this point, I imagine there was conflict among the Gems about how they should treat humans and the Earth, to the point they started fighting. So, yeah, Bolt, interplanetary war? Sounds about right.

PokeMaster, I was not surprise in the slightest that 'home' was in space. Pearl is always saying stuff like 'a haven for Gems on Earth', indicating that they came from elsewhere. I kind of figured they'd be able to teleport home... if it still existed. Which apparently it does. Pearl's so proud of their cultural heritage, but I always got the impression it was all but gone from her speeches.

I liked Lapis, it was obvious she was a misunderstood villain rather than an evil villain, which is what Steven said of Centpeetle in Monster Buddies. She just wanted off the planet (don't we all, at some point). I don't know that the fight was particularly epic, I mean it was good, and showed off Steven's defensive powers at the end. Steven's a pretty forgiving (or overly trusting) guy, Lapis did just try to drown him.

Got to agree that Garnet jumping out of the van was one of the funniest parts.

Last edited:

PokeMaster366

Finally, someone made a thread for this show!

I get the stylistic complaint, and I do think the style revamp (verses the more realistic pilot) was intended to appeal to American kids who are used to similar styles. But the style does make the goofier moments come off well (like when Pearl is freaking out), and I'd like to argue that the chars are very likable even if not so much to look at, as personality is a HUGE chunk of likability.

Oh man, I loved these two episodes, I was glued to the screen. A little while back, I'd posted over on deviantArt this image where I imagined Centipeetle as Gem, since the logic was all there (the monsters have Gems, the Gems can change form, the Centipeetle was scared, the other Gems had to have gone somewhere), so, I was thrilled to be correct, but I didn't expect a reveal of it so soon even if it were true (WHICH IT IS!) Though these episodes left me with more questions. - Now with the way the dialog went, I too, am unsure of what 'good' is in this situations. Why was Pearl okay with using another Gem as a teaching tool? And her convo with Garnet at the end 'What does this mean for us?' Is there something you three aren't telling us? Why did you originally come to Earth? Why did Lapis feel the need to admit that she didn't believe in Earth? How did she end up in the mirror. What's home like? - I guess at this point, I imagine there was conflict among the Gems about how they should treat humans and the Earth, to the point they started fighting. So, yeah, Bolt, interplanetary war? Sounds about right.

PokeMaster, I was not surprise in the slightest that 'home' was in space. Pearl is always saying stuff like 'a haven for Gems on Earth', indicating that they came from elsewhere. I kind of figured they'd be able to teleport home... if it still existed. Which apparently it does. Pearl's so proud of their cultural heritage, but I always got the impression it was all but gone from her speeches.

I liked Lapis, it was obvious she was a misunderstood villain rather than an evil villain, which is what Steven said of Centpeetle in Monster Buddies. She just wanted off the planet (don't we all, at some point). I don't know that the fight was particularly epic, I mean it was good, and showed off Steven's defensive powers at the end. Steven's a pretty forgiving (or overly trusting) guy, Lapis did just try to drown him.

Got to agree that Garnet jumping out of the van was one of the funniest parts.

Lapis Lazuli. That's such an elegant name, too. I didn't even realize that was a type of gem until I googled the name.

But yeah, I really enjoyed the chemistry between Steven and Lapis, both in the mirror and outside of it. You can tell so easily that she holds no ill will towards Steven, even when the water clone is attacking him and Connie. Sure, she held baggage towards the other Gems, but you could easily see Steven becoming friends with her, and they didn't even need to use a flashback about how Steven is so similar to someone they know that they cared about (looking at you, Naruto). It was just Steven being Steven, and I can bet that fact will be important later.

You know it was bound to happen. First off, why didn't Pearl know earlier that the Mirror was a home to one of the Gem folk, and why did it have to adopt a human form after the gem was pulled out of the mirror? Was there a curse on the mirror that kept her from going into her human form while attached to it? Also, why is Lars so fixated on getting a hot girlfriend now? Is he really that ignorant of Sadie's feelings, or did Lars just friendzone her for the sake of pursuing someone that he ranks around the same level of physical attractiveness as Jenny? I have one more nitpick, but I'll go into detail about it in the next episode. At this point, though, I'm just fishing for nitpicks in what I could consider one of the best episodes of Steven Universe so far.

P.S. Someone should make a gif of Garnet rolling out of the van.

Hey, guys! We got a longer preview of the next episode of Steven Universe: House Guest.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4S7F2oUj_A

Last edited by a moderator:

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
I just saw this week's episode, & this is what I have to say about it:

House Guest is now my least favorite episode to date. I admit that I was entering this episode knowing it wouldn't top Mirror Gem or Ocean Gem, & I liked how they explored Steven's relationship with his father more, but the one thing that makes me hate this episode is how Steven has now supposedly lost his healing powers due to Greg's selfishness and desire to live with his son again. Plus, I'm now worried that this may have effected Steven's other powers too, so now all of Steven's progress with controlling them was give a big fat middle finger as the writers decided to press the reset button. But, then again, I hope I'm wrong.

PokeMaster366

I just saw this week's episode, & this is what I have to say about it:

House Guest is now my least favorite episode to date. I admit that I was entering this episode knowing it wouldn't top Mirror Gem or Ocean Gem, & I liked how they explored Steven's relationship with his father more, but the one thing that makes me hate this episode is how Steven has now supposedly lost his healing powers due to Greg's selfishness and desire to live with his son again. Plus, I'm now worried that this may have effected Steven's other powers too, so now all of Steven's progress with controlling them was give a big fat middle finger as the writers decided to press the reset button. But, then again, I hope I'm wrong.

...Well, if every pork chop were perfect, we wouldn't have hot dogs, right?

Okay, to be fair, this episode had some funny and heartwarming moments, but after seeing Mirror/Ocean Gem and Lars & the Cool Kids, I can't help but feel a bit spoiled. This episode didn't really do much for me, tbh. It felt rather mundane since the episode plays out like any other...you know what, it actually reminds me a bit of "Phoebe Breaks a Leg" from the "Hey Arnold!" series, except without the kicker where the caretaker gets injured and has to be nursed back to health by the faker. The only major difference when this show tackles the worn-down plot is that it doesn't try to be as cruel as most of its ancestor. It's not like Greg was excited about being waited on hand and foot. He just wanted to spend some time with his son, and considering what was happening in "Ocean Gem", I don't blame him. At least now, we know that Steven's healing spit has some limitations.

btw, was anyone kind of thrown off when the camera focused on Pearl while she was wiping the oil off of her body? I honestly couldn't tell if they were trying to accentuate her elegance or getting something past the radar. Either way, it felt kind of jarring.

So overall, it's not like the episode was bad. It just kind of leaves me wishing we had more.

...Oh well, they can't all be winners. Now come on, Space Race!

He still has all of his powers like healing spit. It's just that even that will only work but so well. It can easily be assumed that the crack was too big or the damage was too great for the spit to work properly, so the only option was for Greg to pull a Megas XLR and fix it with duct tape.

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
He still has all of his powers like healing spit. It's just that even that will only work but so well. It can easily be assumed that the crack was too big or the damage was too great for the spit to work properly, so the only option was for Greg to pull a Megas XLR and fix it with duct tape.

I don't really get what you mean by "It's just that even that will only work but so well." I guess you're right, I'm just upset that Steve has lost control of his powers again since Greg caused him to lose his confidence, or at least that's what I felt happened.

Last edited:

VampirateMace

Internet Overlord
Well, somewhat in agreement here:

Kind of disappointed with this one. Yep, that reminded me of so many rehashed, the guy/gal w/ the broken leg won't stop ringing the bell, cartoon episodes, and yet felt like a watered down version. This is an episode shows need to stop remaking.

Yeah, the whole Pearl oil thing was weird, I felt like something got past the radar there... But I couldn't quite put my thumb on it, but the whole scene was surreal, she made a suggestive sound, then she looked like she was in a shampoo commercial, and then the oil came off like it wasn't oil (of course that could just be due to her magic). Her command of the mechanical world was kind of nice though.

I don't think Steven ever lost his powers, I think they just didn't work on the dome, whether it was too big, too far gone, or just not really alive. And it was kind of validating Greg's duck tape solution, as a viable temp fix.

Someone posted on dA that they were sure the Gems didn't like Greg (probably due to the 'your dad's a mess' thing), I think it's more: Sure, they know he's not that responsible. But, Greg and Amethyst get along just fine, probably because they share several interests. Garnet shows him the same caring indifference she gives everyone. And Pearl seems to alternate between thinking she's superior and being a little scared of him.

PokeMaster366

I don't really get what you mean by "It's just that even that will only work but so well." I guess you're right, I'm just upset that Steve has lost control of his powers again since Greg caused him to lose his confidence, or at least that's what I felt happened.

Steven hasn't lost his power. It just wasn't strong enough by itself at the time to fix the giant crack. Every power has to have its limits, and learning how to consistently use a power isn't the same as being able to use it at maximum efficiency or power.

Edit:

We got a preview for the next episode: Space Race.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4tDhcF9qmyI

Last edited: