• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Still Getting Used to 5th Gen ~Regenerator Team~

Rhys29

Encore
I'm still waiting for Smogon to update their main site with 5th Gen data, sets, etc. But it seems like it will take a while so I might as well look at what I can do otherwise. I am new-ish to this generation, so competent ratings and constructive criticism is more than welcome, especially since I can't find Smogon usage statistics (which would be incredibly helpful if someone knows where they are).

The ability Regenerator seems awesome, possibly the best user being Mienshao. Knowing this, I decided to build my team around a core of Regenerator users while filling in the gaps. Since my team will be focused on using Mienshao to punch through the opponents team with heavy High Jump Kicks, part of my strategy is luring out Ghost-types earlier rather than later and dealing with them.

Spr_5b_620.png

Mienshao@Life Orb
Jolly, Regenerator
4 HP / 252 Attack / 252 Speed
- Fake Out
- U-turn
- High Jump Kick
- Stone Edge

Maybe my favorite addition of 5th Gen, the Regenerator scout. With Fake Out and U-turn, he bounces around and causes plenty of annoying free turns. Life Orb recoil will be almost non-existant to him until mid-late game where I actually start attacking. Early game I'll be using him to scout for Ghost-types to prevent an early demise via High Jump Kick. Once those are down, I'll be using Mienshao's huge STAB to bust through everything else. Entry hazard support from other members of the team should help those heavy hits finish off foes quickly, too. Stone Edge is for coverage and to make sure I can keep Chandelure at bay, since I don't have the best answer for him right now.

Spr_5b_113.png

Chansey@Eviolite
Impish, Natural Cure
248 HP / 252 Defense / 8 Special Defense
- Seismic Toss
- Stealth Rock
- Protect / Softboiled
- Wish

-Suggestion by Blue_Harvest-
Chansey is one of the few viable users of Eviolite in OU, and boy does she make full use of it. I don't plan on Chansey being the 'glue' of my team, but more of a back up plan to special sweepers and a tank for some weaker physical hits. Though I don't like limiting my movepools, I need to open Skarmory's moveslots up so I decided to throw Stealth Rock on Chansey. The way I see it, Chansey doesn't have a huge issue switching in and it's not a true game breaker late game, so I don't see any harm in using it early on for Stealth Rock support. Wish is to help my team stay alive, and with Wish and Regenerator active, I plan on keeping my core around as long as I can. Seismic Toss is obligatory, but it also contributes to the team's strategy: get Ghost-types out early. Protect will then give me the chance to see what they are packing before switching out. However, in a hectic situation I may prefer Softboiled for immediate recovery. Chansey is okay for the time being, but there might be a better option as I don't like the thought of Chansey being my last Pokemon. EV's are set so residual damage will deal the least amount possible while keeping the most HP. The 8 EVs gives Chansey a solid 248 before Eviolite (ending on an even number) in Special Defense. Tons invested in Defense will prevent things like Tyranitar from destroying her in a single hit.

Spr_5b_465_m.png

Tangrowth@Leftovers
Impish, Regenerator
252 Hp / 40 Attack / 216 Defense
- Power Whip
- Earthquake
- Leech Seed
- Protect / Sleep Powder

The physical tank of the new age. With Regenerator, Leech Seed, and Leftovers, I hope to keep this gargantuan fed and alive well into each match. Leech Seed is one of my favorite moves and the added residual damage is great against non-Grass-types (and Reuniclus). Power Whip and Earthquake provide decent coverage though Flying-types will be a hassle. Protect helps by giving Tangrowth extra turns while Sleep Powder could give my team some Sleep support. However, since my next member has another status ailment, I am quite hesitant. The EVs are just built for general tanking, and if I'm not scoring any new major kills then I can ignore the attack. I simply feel a little push with the attack may help with other residual damage to score KOs.

Spr_5b_080.png

Slowbro@Leftovers
Bold, Regenerator
252 HP / 252 Defense / 4 Special Defense
- Scald
- Flamethrower
- Slack Off
- Thunder Wave / Toxic

The last of my Regenerator core is Slowbro. Thanks to its resistance to Fighting-type and terrible Speed to reduce Payback damage, Slowbro is protection from a lot of the Fighting-type sweepers out there. Access to Scald gives him even more status options which I plan on throwing around. The statuses will help with either residual damage or dropping the opponent's Speed so Mienshao has an easier time. Though I did think about the uses of Ice Beam, Flamethrower makes sure Ferrothorn, Forretress, and Scizor can't continually waltz in on Slowbro. I am torn between Thunder Wave and Toxic, since I would like a reliable residual damage status but having two moves that cause it might be overkill. EVs are just set to prevent as much physical damage as possible, since I may be having to take Flare Blitzes and the like.

Spr_5b_227.png

Skarmory@Leftovers
Impish, Sturdy
252 HP / 76 Defense / 180 Special Defense
- Brave Bird
- Roost
- Spikes
- Whirlwind

-Suggestion by Blue Harvest-
Though I did like the notion of Deoxys-D on my team, Skarmory gives me a needed Dragon-type resists and an immunity to Earthquake. At the same time, with Stealth Rock on Chansey, I have room for all the necessary moves for this set. Brave Bird hits Fighting-types hard so Psychic isn't necessary on Slowbro and smashes any frail attacker who is neutral to Flying-type. Roost provides Skarmory with instant recovery, keeping up with the rest of my heal-obsessed team. With huge bulk, Skarmory has little trouble laying Spikes around the opposing team to help my heavy hitters score easier KO's. Whirlwind gives me some much needed phazing. Skarmory, like other members of my team, does its part of the team strategy by throwing the opponents around and finding those pesky Ghost-types. EVs are an old build I used to use, which gives me plenty of defense and invest into Special Defense enough to prevent weaker neutral hits from slowing the Spike process.

Spr_5b_073.png

Tentacruel@Leftovers
Careful, Rain Dish
252 HP / 140 Defense / 116 Special Defense
- Scald / Surf
- Ice Beam
- Rapid Spin
- Toxic Spikes

Though I have failed to use Tentacruel to much success, I believe it is a great addition to my team. I have issues with Volcarona, and since Tentacruel can give it a hard time, I can have a much easier time with it. At the same time, my team is open to Toxic Spikes and with Tentacruel I won't have an issue with Stealth Rock or Spikes either. On top of this, it was brought to my attention by d0nut that weather teams would be a hassle, so Rain Dish and Toxic Spikes are useful counter measures. With Chansey's Fighting-type weakness comes Tentacruel's ability to switch into Wish well. This way I don't have to be too paranoid about Tentacruel's health. I am not sure if I should go for the status overkill or a small boost in power for Tentacruel's STAB, though I am leaning towards extra status. Tentacruel, unfortunately, does not keep the team's theme of making switching out advantageous and thus is on the chopping block. On top of this, a single Rapid Spin user like Forretress could give my team a headache while I try to set up since each individual entry hazard has a specific user. Even if switching around is the team's strategy, I don't want to waste a lot of turns pumping out entry hazards mid-game.

And there's the team. I was thinking about including a Ghost-type of my own, perhaps over Tentacruel, to block Rapid Spin. Thanks for your time.​

Last edited:

hallstromjr

Boston Celtic
Just an FYI, regenerator Mienshao is used for a lead usually because it's so frail. Makes for a good Scout and does good damage. Rest of the sets are looking fine and basic.

DragonSkull94

The Heartless Hero
Tangela is more bulky with Eviolite btw.

Fa7e

deoxys really wants recover over bbreak/fpunch, or put toxic over that and recover over something else

Rhys29

Encore
Just an FYI, regenerator Mienshao is used for a lead usually because it's so frail. Makes for a good Scout and does good damage.
This is an option, but I don't like having one of my biggest core teammates out on turn one, especially if they are frail. I will look into this more though.

Tangela is more bulky with Eviolite btw.
Though I could argue how Leftovers will nullify the Eviolite gap, Tangela lacks the base 100 Attack that Tangrowth has. If I chose Tangela, I'd only have moves like Grass Knot, Giga Drain, and Sludge Bomb at my disposal. Tangela would work if I used a slightly more stall based team though.

deoxys really wants recover over bbreak/fpunch, or put toxic over that and recover over something else
If I make the Mienshao switch, I will definitely open up a slot for Recover, probably Taunt. Otherwise I'd like to avoid Deoxys-D being generally useless against 90% of the metagame if its the last one around.​

Last edited:
Biggest problems I see are a gigantic Volcarona weakness and bug weakness overall. You can drop Deoxys for a Skarmory since you have ample fighting resists and an extra steel never hurts. It will keep Scizor from U-turning all over you and give you an extra check against Landorus / Excadrill / Haxorus / Garchomp.

Maybe get rid of the mantis weasel for a Choice Band or Life Orb Terrakion. Its a lot faster, has better coverage, STABs and hits almost as hard with Close Combat. If you run HP Ice you can 2HKO Gliscor even with a Jolly nature. Terrakion does ok against Volcarona usually.

DEFINITELY use Sleep Powder on Tangrowth. Its close to a OHKO in most situations since the sleeping counter resets every time they switch out.

Maybe try Chansey over Starmie since Wish is awesome and it can keep a team like this going forever as long as Toxic Spikes aren't down.

Skarmory > Deoxys D
Terrakion > mantis weasel

Otherwise looks decent!

A few weaknesses I see in your team are to Scizor, Latios, Latias, Thundurus, Hydreigon, Salamence, Volcarona, and against Sun and Rain teams. Venusaur and Tornadus in particular on Sun / Rain teams would be a huge threat to the team. Scizor is a pretty significant threat if it gets up a SD, and will likely take something down. Using Rotom-W can help stop it from doing too much to the team, and it will definately help out with Rain teams since it can stand up to Tornadus better than anything else you have. I would advise a Scarf set, though you could use the bulkier set if you prefer.

Rotom-W @ Choice Scarf
Levitate
Timid
252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
-Thunderbolt
-Hydro Pump
-Hidden Power Fire
-Trick

Many of the other weaknesses can be covered by using a specially bulky Jirachi, which can stand up well against Lati@s, Hydreion, (bar switching into Fire Blast,) Thundurus, as well as checking several other random threats like Cloyster. It also gives you a second answer to Tornadus against Rain. It would also be your best bet against Venusaur since it might be able to take a Sun boosted HP Fire, though if you are hit by Sleep Powder instead you might be in trouble.

Jirachi @ Leftovers
Serene Grace
Careful
252 HP / 224 SpD / 32 Spe
-Iron Head
-Fire Punch / Protect
-Thunder Wave / Body Slam
-Wish

I would personally put Rotom over Starmie and Jirachi over Scizor. Also, as BH said Skarm would work well over Deo-D. Using Terrakion over Scizor could work too I guess, though you might struggle a bit more with Reuniclus if you don't use Scizor / Rachi, so you could maybe use something else to help with Volcarona. You could try using Terrakion over Mienshao instead, or maybe use a Scarf set on Mienshao to outspeed and beat it with Stone Edge, but thats up to you. ScarfChomp could also work, and helps against Dragons a bit more. Pretty good team though it still needs some work.

Last edited:

Rhys29

Encore
Changes to the team have been made. Expert advise from BH gave me a good look at the team. I am not sure about Terrakion on the team, since no member of my team can garauntee a victory over Gengar like Starmie can. I do see my Volcarona weakness though, and I will take a look into more ways around it other than relying on Chansey.

EDIT: HAI DONUT! I changed the team while you were writing that. I'll wait and give the post another look in a bit if you edit it for the new team :3​

Chansey + Skarmory or Tangrowth can PP stall Gengar. Just Wish pass until Gengar has no more Focus Blasts. Unless its Sub Pain Split or Sub Disable Gengar in which case Starmie loses anyway. But I said keep Starmie, and to run Terrakion > weasel mantis. Terrakion is awesome.. so few teams have a good switch in to HP ice Terra.

Edit: Softboiled is a really good option over Protect. With sandstorm and deadly setup sweepers everywhere spending two turns healing isn't really a good idea. If you run two healing moves you can easily stall out Gengar and "Softboiled for healing, Wish when you have a free turn". Wish Protect also sucks with sandstorm on so many teams. You will find Chansey Wishing for dear life and it will almost never get to pass to something else.

You can also drop weasel mantis for a Gliscor since your team is so defensive and Gliscor is so awesome.

Gliscor (M) @ Toxic Orb
Trait: Poison Heal
EVs: 212 HP / 252 Def / 44 SDef
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Substitute
- Protect
- Earthquake
- Facade / Ice Fang

c/p'd from Pokemon Online. HP EVs reach its highest Poison Heal number meaning you can Sub + Protect indefinitely unless there's Hail or you get Taunted. Laugh when Choiced Latios comes in and ends up PP stalled. It also make a great wall alongside Chansey and Tangrowth. Still I would run Terrakion over mantis weasel. Barring U-turn and Regenerator hes overall better.

noob21

3 sum!!!
If you dont want to take that much payback damage with slowbro then ide go with toxic being that t-wave cuts ure speed and cool make t-tar's payback devistating. Other then that I see no wrong in this team and must say that this team is going to win alot of battles. Meinshoa is my favorite pokemon of this gen as well and if you would like I can pm you the link for smogon usage tiers I have it.

Rhys29

Encore
If you dont want to take that much payback damage with slowbro then ide go with toxic being that t-wave cuts ure speed and cool make t-tar's payback devistating.
Thunder Wave would not be for the physical sweepers, and things like Conkeldurr would be burned right off the bat anyways. Thunder Wave would be for what switches into Slowbro to help ease Mienshao's slightly higher than average Speed.

Team is updated, switched Starmie for Tentacruel to add more EHs and Spin for my team. Though it might not look it, I believe Toxic Spikes to be very valuable to this team. Moves like Protect on Tangrowth and Fake Out on Mienshao become that much more devistating when the opponent is forced to skip out on a turn.​

Last edited:

noob21

3 sum!!!
Thunder Wave would not be for the physical sweepers, and things like Conkeldurr would be burned right off the bat anyways. Thunder Wave would be for what switches into Slowbro to help ease Mienshao's slightly higher than average Speed.

Team is updated, switched Starmie for Tentacruel to add more EHs and Spin for my team. Though it might not look it, I believe Toxic Spikes to be very valuable to this team. Moves like Protect on Tangrowth and Fake Out on Mienshao become that much more devistating when the opponent is forced to skip out on a turn.​

makes since and since you have tentacrual their isnt a need for toxic on slowbro anyway