• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Stopped in the Name of Love (590)

Vernikova

Champion
I really liked this episode. I'm glad that there is a reason why Piplup won't evolve for the rest of the series at this point. I also like the flashbacks to DP001 during the episode as well as the similar situation that they had with the Ariados.

PamperedPersian1

Can you people please stop saying this?

First of all, it's a simple opinion, chill out. Second of all, the explanation was the same explanation as with the hundreds of other Pokemon that won't evolve: they think they're strong enough at their base stage and usually have a rivalry with their evolved form.

What character development was there? The only thing that happened was that Dawn officially announced she was BFFs with Piplup... I think that was established way back in the first episode of DP.

S.Suikun

Thank you, SPPf! :)
You have to also remember that this episode was an important set-up for the following two episodes, with both Kenny and Barry appearing and introducing whatever competition they plan on participating in.

PamperedPersian1

True. I think I just hated it because the screen-hogger got even more attention... I mean they could've used any old POTD to make them appear, but they choose to give said role to Piplup... As if we don't see enough of it... I think I've ranted enough...

DarkZerkerX

Master Coordinator
No matter what you guys say, i think it was a great time for us to stop and think in a deeper way. If you had a piplup like dawns that was proud, loves you,and saw mamoswine being a mess of a pokemon, do you think your piplup would evolve?

But the summary is that this episode is more of a thinking episode.But then again, most of the D/P episodes are thinking episodes. You gotta put yourself in either Dawn or piplups shoes. But this is a great episode to show some character. If Dawn has a Empoleon tank, that would cause a huge increase or decrease in viewers.Just by having it not evolve, only a few people stop watching and others keep watching. It builds dawns already detailed character. If only there was a D/P scenario that builds ash's character...

Geodude

First of all, it's a simple opinion, chill out.
This "opinion" uses a word completely differently than most people, and became nothing more than a derogatory post. In fact it's a borderline "posting with the intent to annoy others" infraction.
You have to also remember that this episode was an important set-up for the following two episodes, with both Kenny and Barry appearing and introducing whatever competition they plan on participating in.
Yet another reason not to call it a filler.

Last edited:

Rebeccag

Good episode
I wish piplup would have evolved but I knew it wouldnt. But it was so good to see Barry again him crashing into Ash was so funny hehe
Apart from that it was ok

Rex Kamex

Groans... I was very disappointed when I watched this episode about Piplup not evolving. You know why?

Because they barely kept any Japanese music in the dub...

Thought I was gonna say I was mad that Piplup didn't evolve, huh? Well, I'm not mad one bit. I think anime evolution is overrated by at least many older fans. It's as if a Pokemon will never amount to anything unless it evolves, no matter what the long term consequences of that are. (Ex. having Pikachu evolve.)

Like I said before, it'd be more annoying for Piplup to get all this attention and then be replaced by a 5th generation Pokemon doing what Piplup's doing right now.

People accuse Piplup of being a Pikachu clone (which I'm not disagreeing with, but... how come it was so bad calling Dawn a May-clone then?) and yet are upset that it gets an episode confirming it won't evolve.

PamperedPersian1 said:
First of all, it's a simple opinion, chill out. Second of all, the explanation was the same explanation as with the hundreds of other Pokemon that won't evolve: they think they're strong enough at their base stage and usually have a rivalry with their evolved form.

Many of the Pokemon in Ash's friends group don't evolve, but nearly all of them have never actually started to evolve or were going to evolve via the use of a stone. If Bulbasaur hadn't stopped itself from evolving, more people would think that Bulbasaur might have (or still might have) a chance of evolving in one episode. No one ever said it wouldn't.

And also, this isn't just any of Dawn's Pokemon- it's her starter, and the Pokemon that is most associated with her. If any Pokemon in her party would have an explanation on why it wouldn't evolve, it'd be Piplup.

This episode showed us that now there's definitely no point in waiting for Piplup to evolve.

True. I think I just hated it because the screen-hogger got even more attention...

*shrugs*

In any case, it's not like it's going to leave anytime soon and never be seen again. It's the Pikachu of Dawn's party. Sure it wasn't like this at the very beginning of D&P, but still...

I mean they could've used any old POTD to make them appear, but they choose to give said role to Piplup... As if we don't see enough of it... I think I've ranted enough...

A reason both Kenny and Barry appeared was because they each had a Pokemon that was a different evolved form of Piplup to show of to the TV audience.

DarkZerkerX said:
If only there was a D/P scenario that builds ash's character...

There's always Paul episodes. Also there was an episode where Pikachu didn't evolve.

Alkaide

Scary Faerie♥
It was a pointless, unnecessary, and disappointing episode. Well, I mean I knew Piplup wasn't going to evolve, but the episode itself was just too pointless. But why are they not evolving any of their Pokemon? I love Piplup, but I think Dawn needs to evolve it. Seriously. Okay, so maybe it wasn't unnecessary, but they didn't need to drag it out into one episode, a part of another would suffice. And they made the episode all nostalgic for Dawn, but that just really didn't appeal to me.

Last edited:
If piplup didn't want to evolve because of what happened with mamoswine maybe piplup will evolve later after mamoswine listens to dawn. I so wanted to see this one but I missed it :(. Is the episode out in english yet?

HoennMaster

Mamoswine does listen to Dawn.

Elementer

Sword&Element Master
Huh........ That evo thing only looks good on Pikachu.......... and now that their treating Piplup like the 4th Generation Mascot, it's really stupid.

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
I don't understand the title :S

But other than that, this was too similar to the Bulbasaur episode from Kanto. It was like watching it all over again.

I like how they explained the Everstone though. It'll stop evolution if the Pokemon is within range of it.

Ash-kid

Ash-kid
Too bad that Piplup didn't evolve..

but i loved to see Barry and Kenny in the same episode, they were great.

5/10

wobbanut

Team Awesome
In a way I wish that Piplup had evolved. It would be a much better battler as a Prinplup. I could understand its reasoning for not evolving from Meowth's translation, but I'd still think Dawn would be better off with a Prinplup. At least the episode had Kenny and Barry around to keep things interesting, though. :) Team Rocket's Pipprinoleon robot was hideous, though. :p Definitely not one of their better mechas, that's for sure. I did like the part where Barry was practically pushing Ash and Brock and Kenny out of the pokemon center to practie, though. LOL

Shneak

this is a Nessa x Sonia stan account ✨
Okay-ish episode. Like people have said, it was like Bulbasaurs Mysterious Garden. Dawn had quite a few funny lines (as in, stupid.) though. "Where could Piplup have gone!?". I totally expected her to pull a Mrs. Weasley and lash out at Team Rocket with "NOT MY PIPLUP, YOU *****!!"

7/10.

CliveKoopa

It was a pointless, unnecessary, and disappointing episode. Well, I mean I knew Piplup wasn't going to evolve, but the episode itself was just too pointless. But why are they not evolving any of their Pokemon? I love Piplup, but I think Dawn needs to evolve it. Seriously. Okay, so maybe it wasn't unnecessary, but they didn't need to drag it out into one episode, a part of another would suffice. And they made the episode all nostalgic for Dawn, but that just really didn't appeal to me.

Its not up to the trainers to evolve their Pokemon, the Pokemon will evolve when THEY are ready, not when the trainers are ready. People need to realise that the anime is not like the game and trainers can't just evolve their Pokemon at the click of a finger.

Ludi-Cola

Drink Responsibly
I thot it was a cute story. While Dawn raised good points in favor of evolution (stronger attack power and greater range of moves), Piplup's emotional reason against it was explained well. He was a Piplup when he first met Dawn and he wanted to stay that way, to be strong and protect her as is. I liked the little touch of the Ariados web harkening to Dawn's debut and Meowth acting as translator always tugs at my heart. I also appreciated seeing another ingame Item on the show, and having Nurse Joy give out the Everstone meant she had something to do beside get Brock's temperature rising. ;)
I think eps like this are important b/c even if you don't agree w/ the main charas having small, un-evolved pokes in their lineup it gave a canon reason for Piplup to stay that way. Altho some forumers correctly guessed for ages that Piplup was never going to evolve this removes all doubt. And let's face it, not every viewer shares our keen deductive prowess. *nods sagely*