• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Stopped in the Name of Love (590)

Serebii

And, as if by magic, the webmaster appeared...
Staff member
Admin
Evolution! This Time for Piplup!?

Meeting up with their friends Kenny & Barry, Dawn gets into some training. However, in the process of it, Piplup starts to show signs of evolution. Unwilling to evolve due to what happened with Mamoswine, it tries to hold on. Team Rocket soon intervene and kidnap Piplup. Will Dawn manage to get Piplup back and will Piplup evolve?

Visit The Episode Guide

Discuss

Jonouchi

Chibi-cario
Looked at the ep pics on #Pocketmonsters and.....no, it did not evolve.

Prominence

*sigh*

Yet another Pokémon that won't evolve. I'm getting really tired of this. One more reason to hate Piplup.

mimefan

Banned
I've now officialy lost interest in the anime, Japan can you stop being nazis and do the right ****in thing, I say potato, you say potato, I say evolve, you say **** off, I mean if it says Piplup evolves, then shock horror evolve the nazi, but no, the huuuuuuuuuuugggggggggeeeeeeeeeeee demographic viewership are nazis, right? Do you know that you should evolve the damn thing and not glorify Hitler, yet one more one thing to hate the japanese by. I'm too old for this ****, seriously, is this some kind of late april fools joke, because it's fu-ck-in-hi-la-ri-ous right? Wrong. Screw Japan, screw hitler and most of all screw the anime.

Devastator1

So they impressed us with showing a great episode today (ep 589). hip hip hooray! too bad they had to drop the ball with ep 590. Jun and kenny appear to be friends and it was good seeing them again and at the same time. lately I've began taking a liking to piplup, this episode seems to re-awaken the dislike I had for it. It wont evolve, it wont learn anything new and for some reason they keep trying to make it appear as one powerful pokemon. i give this ep 4/10.

True_Eriorguez

C'mon, Torchic ended up as Blaziken. Stop shoving us that penguin down our throats, it is already bad enough that it is a non-reptilian starter (the first water one, but we already had loads and loads of fire mammals). It should have evolved. Chimchar too. Pikachu and Meowth staying like that is okay, but enough is enough.

milenadrg

Oh, why did you did that writers? Why?:( Dawn could have a strong and powerful Empoleon, but now she will have forever a weak little... Ah... It's still not clearly in my brain why does near EVERY Pokemon must refuse to evolove... I mean, like evolution is something bad... Nah, whatever...

Janovy

Banned
So Dawn got an Everstone? Now what? Will she throw it on Piplups head every time it tries to evolve??

BM14murph

Master Collector
I didn't get to see da last bit of the episode

i saw most of it though just not where she gets da everstone

Last edited by a moderator:

Gravy

Contaminated KFC
I don't know what's worse. The fact that there are some people that actually believed there was a chance it would evolve, or the incoherent rants left behind by those who seem to be under the impression that a pokemon not evolving somehow spells the downfall of the entire show.
Well...that and the tasteless comparisons of a children's show to Hitler and nazism, of course.

In any case, it was an ok episode, though methinks the inevitable subs from one dedicated fish-based oriental dish will serve to make this all the more enjoyable ;)

The similarities to past evo-no-nos were rather strong, but I didn't mind how they handled it. It made a lot more sense considering Pochama's proud and pompus nature, whereas with past pokemon that kind of had to be pulled out of left field.
Speaking of nature, Pochama is an enjoyable character when they utilise it correctly, and this I consider to be a good example of how likeable it can be. It wasn't annoying or overbearing, and it didn't feel like it was just there for the hell of it, and that's always welcome.
I liked the harkening back to Pochama and Hikari's first encounter in particular, once it was revealed it was purposely mirroring the event for the sake of symbolism.

James calling out to Pochama to do it's best and NOT evolve was also pretty funny, with Jessie raining on his parade and pointing out they had a chance to attack.

Jun and Kengo being best friends amuses me more than it probably should, especially since the three of them, despite knowing at least one other and living in the same town for 10 years, didn't know they were each other's friends prior to this meeting.
Besides that, hyperactive, arrogant Jun being friends with the relatively calm and collected Pikari-lovin' Kengo just screams potential for a great dynamic. Worked for Looney Tunes and Yogi Bear.

Korobooshi Kojiro

Funnnngaaaaa
Well, y'know, a new biography recently revealed that Hitler infact resisted evolving by focusing his energy into a bide attack.

Also, that Prinplup robot was boss.

S.Suikun

Thank you, SPPf! :)
Holy crap, it's DP074 all over again with you people. Sorry to disappoint my 3 fans, but this review will not even come close to touching the epic hilarity of everybody else here.

[img139]http://images.shopping.msn.com/img/3562/3365/79/170974627.jpg[/img139]

This is Sleeping Bag Pochama! If you don't buy me, little children will continue to starve in Africa, some more banks will implode, and the Easter Bunny will leave you nothing but those disgusting Marshmallow Peeps. God, I hate Peeps. If anybody gives me Peeps for Easter, I'm gonna fry one in their microwave. It's funny stuff, people.

Anyways, this episode features Barry the DP rival, in addition to Kenny the other rival who everyone thought would have Barry's design. Remember those days? I think the only Pochandise I had back then was a Pochama dog pillow. We get some foreshadowing of DP124, which features the version of Pong that actually involves exercise. What was it? Ping pong, that's the one! Of course, watching Empoleon's fruity dance causes Pochama to get "excited", and just like when the rest of us get "excited", it starts glowing.

APRIL FOOLS! Wait, that was yesterday? I missed it? Frick, now I only have Talk-Like-a-Pirate Day to look forward to in 2009. Anyways, Piplup pulls a Bulbasaur, although with more attempted drama. It runs away, making for a fun searching party game. Full 10 points for bringing the whole body back alive, but you can still get 5 points for just the head. And what's this? A throwback to DP001 with Ariados capturing Pochama? It's not really the same, people. You see, it's missing the cameo Dunsparce also caught up in the web.

Hmm...I figured they were gonna predictably have just Piplup get captured then prove its worth without having to evolve, but having it save Barry and Kenny is actually a better angle even if it even more so screams, "Bulbasaur's Mysterious Garden". And that Pochatasshelt (or Pipproleon) mecha is one of the best in a while, for both lethalness and fulfilling crazy fan sprite fusions. One thing I still don't get, though, is how people climb the sides of those things. Contest practice starts now, though I wonder if Barry will stick around to watch or if we'll just see him in the episode after.

It was the better of the two episodes today, although I probably still prefer "Bulbasaur's Mysterious Garden", which is one of the few Kanto episodes that actually holds up its quality if you rewatch it today. Though the addition of both Barry and Kenny benefitted this episode a lot.

Selfdestruct Togepi

Fangirls Beware!
Piplup is remaining a weakling
Wobbuffut did nothing
Jun appears to know Kenny
that robot was a little freaky
these are my reseons I hated this episode, although the last one was good.

Littlemyuu

Hope the piplup lovers are happy now....
i hate the fact that the little pinguin wont evolve....the time has
come that i will stop watching the anime *sigh*

Sparkleo

Low on power...
Piplup stuck in an Ariados web? I detect a hit of Deja Vu here...

Dawn was acting like a real jerk to her Piplup until the rescue. It was obvious it didn't want to evolve from it's little "B-Button" action...

Last edited:

Barbarooza

BarBOSSA
Did you actually believe it would evolve? C'mon, if it has evolve in the title, didn't it strike you for one minute that it was too obvious and wasn't going to evolve. Naive idio.......

Misty Fanboi13

Over Analyst
I've now officialy lost interest in the anime, Japan can you stop being nazis and do the right ****in thing, I say potato, you say potato, I say evolve, you say **** off, I mean if it says Piplup evolves, then shock horror evolve the nazi, but no, the huuuuuuuuuuugggggggggeeeeeeeeeeee demographic viewership are nazis, right? Do you know that you should evolve the damn thing and not glorify Hitler, yet one more one thing to hate the japanese by. I'm too old for this ****, seriously, is this some kind of late april fools joke, because it's fu-ck-in-hi-la-ri-ous right? Wrong. Screw Japan, screw hitler and most of all screw the anime.

Overreaction/10

It was pretty obvious from the second that Dawn started keeping Piplup out of its ball full time that it wouldn't evolve. And people thought it would evolve in this episode? Look at the movie 12 poster, or the promotional pictures for the future episodes, or gosh, I don't know, maybe that lockbox in your brain where you hide your common sence.

I'm no Piplup lover either, infact I kind of hate the little thing, but its not that big of a deal that it didn't want to evolve. It would most likely keep the same personality, similar voice, and be kept out of its ball, so nothing would really change except for it getting a little bit taller, so it wouldn't even really make a difference, so why make such a big deal out of it.

/End Rant.

Edit: Oh and you're right. Not evolving one pokemon is indeed the same as killing millions of jews. I actually feel bad for you and anyone else who thinks that your nazi jokes are funny.

Last edited:

Sparkleo

Low on power...
Did you actually believe it would evolve? C'mon, if it has evolve in the title, didn't it strike you for one minute that it was too obvious and wasn't going to evolve. Naive idio.......

I was talking about Dawn not knowing. I knew the whole time...

Last edited:

JD

piplup will evolve just not yet he simply wasnt ready yet but he will in probably like 50 episodes just guessing