• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Stories that were ruined by movies.

ShinyVaati

100% Rebel Time Lord
As others have said, The Lightning Thief was a terrible adaption. With the exception of about the first 10 minutes, it didn't follow the book at all. I have no idea how they're even going to do the other movies, if the even do them in the first place.

I'm also feeling dubious about how The Hobbit is going to turn out. I really don't know how they're going to stretch that out over two movies without a lot of movie-only fluff.

Grei

not the color
For me the #1 most egregious butchering of a story was done by the movie Eragon.

I love the book series, and the one thing I liked about the movie is it got me to read the book. I liked the movie the first time I saw it before I had read any of the books. However that changed quickly

Seriously. This was a totally different story than the book. It just had The name and some characters slapped on it.

Some of the worst mess ups:
1. WTF is with Durza and the Smoke Dragon at the end. That was just COMLETELY ADDED!!!!!!!!!

2. Eragon did NOT get attacked by Urgals at Deret!!!!!!

3. Urgals are NOT big drunk looking men!!!!!!

4. They took Terim out! Seriously, they took one of the biggest parts of the story out.

5. Eragon DID NOT kill the Ra'zac in the first story this kind of kills the story for the 2nd and 3rd stories

6. They took the Twins out. This also kills the story

7. They completely botched Angela and they took Solembum out. This also kills the story.

8. Arya is an elf. She looked nothing like and Elf.

Based on this, and I am sure many other things I forgot, they would have to make an entirely new story to make another movie. Because they certainly can't use the original

end angry rant/

I agree with all of this. Nothing compares to the brutal massacre that took place with the Eragon movie.
What's worse is that Christopher Paolini was supposedly on the set for the shooting of the movie. He had to have been asleep or drunk or something for them to screw up a book-based movie that badly.

hawkeye721

なんと素敵な歌!!!!!!!!
Oh yeah, I've read the books, I love them. I know what they kept out/changed, but to be honest, it's all for time. Three-hour-or-so movies don't sit well with young people, especially about unfortunate orphans. Lord of the Rings just happen to be a rare exception.

good point but would you take little kids to a movie like that tho

TheWatersGreatGuardian

Legendary Trainer
I agree with all of this. Nothing compares to the brutal massacre that took place with the Eragon movie.
What's worse is that Christopher Paolini was supposedly on the set for the shooting of the movie. He had to have been asleep or drunk or something for them to screw up a book-based movie that badly.
He was on the set and he let that happen!?

Oh don't forget! No Elva! I guess this means Nasuada is going to die :D

GalladeX

As others have said, The Lightning Thief was a terrible adaption. With the exception of about the first 10 minutes, it didn't follow the book at all. I have no idea how they're even going to do the other movies, if the even do them in the first place.

not even. the book starts with percy's field trip, not a meeting between poseidon and zeus.

SilverSoulLugia

No-one outside of the UK is gonna get this (i don't think), but the TV movie adaptation of Terry Pratchett's Going Postal.

Ugh. I can't even- ugh. Couldn't even sit through the entire thing, and that used to be my favourite book. Biggest. Disappointment. Ever. ¬¬

MugoUrth

Bibarel's adorable.
I think the Twilight movies butchered a... no wait, the books were already butchered. :p

Anyway, with a limited range of book/videogame/cartoon to movies seen to original books/videogames/cartoons seen and played ratio, I'd have to say Avatar: The Last Airbender. M. Night Shymalin did a terrible job of capturing the spirit of the original series. Made worse by the fact that A:TLA isn't even THAT OLD! He obviously watched the cartoon as little as he read Stuart Little, another movie that wasn't entirely faithful to the original. (But at least Stuart was adopted in the movie instead of having the parents give birth to him. ...unless that was yet another cruel joke played by the A-holes at Cracked.Com. I don't remember the original book very well.)

In the end, A:TLA came out very poorly. And it could have been a lot better.

...WAIT! I can beat that! Legend of Chun-Li is even WORSE!!! It's even worse that the ORIGINAL Street Fighter Movie, and that's saying something. At least the original TRIED to capture the spirit of Street Fighter. Legend of Chun-Li didn't even do that much.

aclover

VICTORiOUS
The television adaptation of Skellig runed it for me, the movies was boring nad it didn't follow the storyline in some places.

To the person talking about Series of Unfortunate Events, I thought it was a decent movie, all the characters looked right, and the few extra bits were very good aswell. I would of likes to see a sequel with the rest of the books (4th,5th,6th books then 7th and 8th, then 9th,10th and eleventh, then finishing with the 12th and 13th.) a few references to the other orphaned family (the Quigleys or something?).

TheWatersGreatGuardian

Legendary Trainer
I think the Twilight movies butchered a... no wait, the books were already butchered. :p

Anyway, with a limited range of book/videogame/cartoon to movies seen to original books/videogames/cartoons seen and played ratio, I'd have to say Avatar: The Last Airbender. M. Night Shymalin did a terrible job of capturing the spirit of the original series. Made worse by the fact that A:TLA isn't even THAT OLD! He obviously watched the cartoon as little as he read Stuart Little, another movie that wasn't entirely faithful to the original. (But at least Stuart was adopted in the movie instead of having the parents give birth to him. ...unless that was yet another cruel joke played by the A-holes at Cracked.Com. I don't remember the original book very well.)

...WAIT! I can beat that! Legend of Chun-Li is even WORSE!!! It's even worse that the ORIGINAL Street Fighter Movie, and that's saying something. At least the original TRIED to capture the spirit of Street Fighter. Legend of Chun-Li didn't even do that much.

Oye...last airbender. That was one of the worst movies I have ever seen

MugoUrth

Bibarel's adorable.
Harry Potter. End of.

I've yet to see the last one, however the films are diabolical in comparison.

Are you kidding? The movies actually replicate the books well compared to most adaptations.

Also, I saw the last movie, it was awesome!

Plat. Frontier

Epic Mustache

You, sir, are correct. TLA was the only movie I hated. At all.

M. Night, you're pure evil for ruining my second favorite cartoon.

Pesky Persian

Caffeine Queen

I'm also feeling dubious about how The Hobbit is going to turn out. I really don't know how they're going to stretch that out over two movies without a lot of movie-only fluff.

I liked The Lightning Thief as a film on it's own, but I agree it wasn't a very good adaptation. And I'm a little worried about the movie adaptation of The Hobbit because it's my favorite book ever. Guillermo del Toro isn't that bad of a director, but after seeing how much was changed in the Hellboy movies, I can't help but be a little worried.

Speaking of the Hellboy movies, WTF, Guillermo? No Kate Corrigan? You made Abe, my favorite character in the comics, a complete pansy when he's so badass in the comics. And the Hellboy/Liz thing? Completely weird and creepy considering they have a brother-sister relationship in the comics. I can forgive the little things, like changing the location of the BPRD headquarters and bringing Johann in early, but having all the main characters leave the Bureau so early was a huge mistake. I guess that means Kate isn't ever going to be in the movies, and neither are any of the other good BPRD characters like Ben Daimio, Roger, or Sidney. /nerdrant

I'm a little worried about the movie adaptations for The Hunger Games because I really enjoyed those books, but I think a movie adaptation wouldn't be too difficult to get right. What I'm really worried about are the possible movie/TV adaptations for Stephen King's Dark Tower series. From what I've read, if they do make the movies, there are only going to be three films. How on earth can you possibly cram seven books worth of material into three films?! I think the TV adaptation would be better material-wise due to no time constraints overall, but it would have to be a watered-down version of the book series because there are some not-so-family-friendly parts of the books. And they'd have to get the casting right or I'd be unhappy because I absolutely love these books.

Waterlover711

<=my doggy(prof.pic)
ok 2 movies that were ruined by movies1. percy jackson series2. the harry potter series

and they should make a rangers aprentice series movies that would be cool

oh i almost forgot and the sorcerers apprentice series was also ruined

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
good point but would you take little kids to a movie like that tho

Lol, yeah XD. My parents took us to see both Lord of the Rings movies, and we watched Series of Unfortunate Events. So why not?

The Doctor

Absolute Beginner
Speaking of the Hellboy movies, WTF, Guillermo? No Kate Corrigan? You made Abe, my favorite character in the comics, a complete pansy when he's so badass in the comics. And the Hellboy/Liz thing? Completely weird and creepy considering they have a brother-sister relationship in the comics. I can forgive the little things, like changing the location of the BPRD headquarters and bringing Johann in early, but having all the main characters leave the Bureau so early was a huge mistake. I guess that means Kate isn't ever going to be in the movies, and neither are any of the other good BPRD characters like Ben Daimio, Roger, or Sidney. /nerdrant

I feel the need to point out that Mike Mignola was fine with these changes, including the Hellboy/Liz relationship, was closely involved with the production of both films, and indeed planned the story for The Golden Army with del Toro.

This would be the point where I'd rag on the Watchmen movie for "ruining everything!!!1111!!", but a) It's about as faithful as you can get for an adaptation of something on the level of Watchmen, b) I actually liked what Zack Snyder did, and c) there's no point in getting worked up about adaptations. Books and films are different mediums, and some elements for the former need to be changed to suit the latter. The original text is still there, it hasn't gone away, so just because the Eragon movie was worse than the already pretty bad Eragon book doesn't mean Eragon the book is ruined.

In an inversion of the topic, I'd like to nominate Kick-Ass as a film that improves on its source material - it was more fun, insane, and had a main character who wasn't a raging jackass.

darkcharizard58

ok 2 movies that were ruined by movies1. percy jackson series2. the harry potter series

and they should make a rangers aprentice series movies that would be cool

oh i almost forgot and the sorcerers apprentice series was also ruined

Yeah the Percy Jackson movie was a giant cluster**** that had a completely different story line than the book. Harry Potter movies are good and stay as accurate as they can usually, so I dont have a problem with them. And yeah a Rangers Apprentice movie would be sick.

Another book that was ruined by the movie was Alex Rider: Stormbreaker. The movie was just way different.

denizenofevil

The Last Airbender was terrible. M Shamalamadingdong should never be allowed to produce another movie ever again for taking a massive dump on such a great show.
I didn't really like the Harry Potter movies. They weren't that bad but they were very disappointing to watch. I loved the newest one though.
The Twilight books were bad but the movies did what I thought was impossible: made the whole series worse.

Dread Advocate

†Stay Metal†
Eragon, The Lightning Thief, and The Last Airbender were all pisspoor excuses for adaptations. And on Paolini being on set for Eragon, he approved of ALL the changes and said the movie was great. Just to add to the insult, Shyamalan does intened to adapt the rest of the Avatar series, regardless of critical reception or commercial performance. But nothing is set stone. We'll find out at ComicCon in a few, what? Days? Weeks? And The Sea of Monsters film is already in the works, and guess what: Chris Columbus is working on it. My biggest complaint about Columbus is begins the first two Harry Potter films, he stayed perhaps too faithful to books and failed to realize the need for a dark-er atmosphere and A LOT CG effects for films like that (even Return of the Jedi had more CG work). And so he goes with the opposite for The Lightning Thief, that is he strayed too far from the plot, changed up EVERYTHING, used too much CG, and made it too dark atmosphere-wise. If only he can find a median, and make some more original films.

The rest of the Potter films I enjoyed because, even though there were some details (some minor, some major) missing/changed/added, they looked and felt just right. Because of how pathetic Eragon was, there is a petition to have it remade more accurate to the novel and with an entirely different cast and crew. But I can guarantee you, if Eldest is ever made (which I hope won't happen and doubt anyways), and when The Sea of Monster and The Last Airbender 2, I will refuse to see them.

Slightly off topic: Could someone tell me a but more about The Hunger Games? My brother practically worships the books and tries to force me to read them. His aggressiveness is what's making me not read them, plus he always goes into a rant on how "The Hunger Games movie better not be terrible." I usually don't read the book description on the back/inside the cover because they're too vague. Just a brief summary of backstory will do.

TheWatersGreatGuardian

Legendary Trainer
Eragon, The Lightning Thief, and The Last Airbender were all pisspoor excuses for adaptations. And on Paolini being on set for Eragon, he approved of ALL the changes and said the movie was great. Just to add to the insult, Shyamalan does intened to adapt the rest of the Avatar series, regardless of critical reception or commercial performance. But nothing is set stone. We'll find out at ComicCon in a few, what? Days? Weeks? And The Sea of Monsters film is already in the works, and guess what: Chris Columbus is working on it. My biggest complaint about Columbus is begins the first two Harry Potter films, he stayed perhaps too faithful to books and failed to realize the need for a dark-er atmosphere and A LOT CG effects for films like that (even Return of the Jedi had more CG work). And so he goes with the opposite for The Lightning Thief, that is he strayed too far from the plot, changed up EVERYTHING, used too much CG, and made it too dark atmosphere-wise. If only he can find a median, and make some more original films.

The rest of the Potter films I enjoyed because, even though there were some details (some minor, some major) missing/changed/added, they looked and felt just right. Because of how pathetic Eragon was, there is a petition to have it remade more accurate to the novel and with an entirely different cast and crew. But I can guarantee you, if Eldest is ever made (which I hope won't happen and doubt anyways), and when The Sea of Monster and The Last Airbender 2, I will refuse to see them.

Slightly off topic: Could someone tell me a but more about The Hunger Games? My brother practically worships the books and tries to force me to read them. His aggressiveness is what's making me not read them, plus he always goes into a rant on how "The Hunger Games movie better not be terrible." I usually don't read the book description on the back/inside the cover because they're too vague. Just a brief summary of backstory will do.

I really hope they remake Eragon. It really is a story worthy of a movie.

As it is, there is no chance they do Eldest. They killed so many crucial points of the storyline that they would have to make up a completely different story for Eldest too

WynautQueen

Pokemon Caretaker
I've got a big piece of really, really great news for all of you! Get ready to break out the beverage of your choice and write home to mommy:

NO STORY IS RUINED BY A MOVIE ADAPTATION.

The original story still exists in the form it did before the movie was made. Don't like it? You're entitled. :) But no story is ruined by a movie adaptation. No need to thank me; I'm sure all of you would have figured it out of your own volition, too.