1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey Guest
    As I'm sure you're well aware, sites aren't free to run and so we run leaderboard adverts to fund the site. These ads are often specific game ones run by Sega etc.
    To make sure we get relevant ads as much as possible, could you fill out this survey my ad network is running? It's 100% anonymous and will just help us keep relevant ads on the site
    https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/8GL2ZTK
    It's open til April 3rd
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Story & Lore material from the games that are too dark to be adapted into the anime today?

Discussion in 'Pokémon Animé Discussion' started by shoz999, Mar 29, 2019.

1. shoz999

shoz999 ... Don't laugh.

So the Pokemon anime today seems to be playing things more safe when adapting the games no matter how dark the games story and lore material can get, especially the Sun & Moon games which is widely considered by fans to be the darkest entry in the Pokemon series. So what are some game content that you think would be too dark to be adapted from the games to the anime especially considering this is from the anime crew's point of view?

So four things came to mind that would probably be too dark for the anime.
    • A more faithful adaptation of Lusamine. So those who are not familiar with Sun & Moon, to sum it up... and excuse my language... but Lusamine is batshit insane! She's a control freak that is willing to get rid of anything that doesn't obey her including her own children, desiring the Ultra Beasts as she believes they always stay beautiful... at first that seems like the reason but some fans suspect that the actual reason is abandonment issues caused by her husband, Mohn, who disappeared mysteriously and her children rejecting her which drove her a bit over the edge, yearning for love from Pokemon and by extension the Ultra Beasts, which might actually explain why Nihilego's design is suspiciously similarly to Lillie.
    • AZ telling his story of a war he ended by using the lives of Pokemon to power his Ultimate Weapon. Not only is that pretty dark on it's own, the images in the story of the games does not shy away from how devastating and destructive the war is.
    • A more faithful adaptation of Ghetsis. For those who don't know, Ghetsis is the leader of Team Plasma and the games does not shy away that he's a manipulative sociopath who is not even afraid to kill kids as shown in BW2 where he attempted to murder the protagonist with Kyurem and later in USUM where he threatens to kill Lillie, a threat that literally angers your own Pokemon team inside their own Pokeballs. People I know who never played any of the 5th gen games were shocked that Pokemon even had such a villain.
    • A more faithful interpretation of Groudon & Kyogre actually fighting each other in the populated city of Sootopolis City as the Hoenn region is being affected by floods and earthquakes. This one I don't think is just dark but also possibly sensitive to Japanese viewers if aired at the wrong time, similar to the cancellation of the Team Plasma special for Best Wishes.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2019
  2. AznKei

AznKei Rabi-Ribi's Cocoa is cute! ^_^

I remembered back in GS that Team Rocket were cutting Slowpoke tails I think. That would very controversial if they were actually shown in the anime.

shoz999 likes this.
  3. shoz999

shoz999 ... Don't laugh.

That's actually not only a major plot point but how the GS games introduces Team Rocket. Another would be the time that Team Rocket actually killed Cubone's mother and it's ghost haunts the Pokemon Tower. I think the Let's Go games takes it even further where Team Rocket actively hunts Marowaks and Cubones for their skulls.

4. Pokegirl Fan~

Pokegirl Fan~ In memory of LizardonX

It's always been this way, particularly the English dub

5. shoz999

shoz999 ... Don't laugh.

What's always been this way?

6. lolipiece

lolipiece Me during high school Staff Member Moderator

"Today?" Since when has the anime ever not been lighter and softer than the games?

Most of these plotlines never would've made it in (not without massive changes, that is), even back in Kanto.

Pokegirl Fan~ likes this.
  7. shoz999

shoz999 ... Don't laugh.

I do agree the anime has always been lighter and softer than the games but are you sure about some of these plotlines not making it into the anime during the early years? I had an interesting discussion with a bearded chap how some of the plot ideas might've actually worked back then but wouldn't fly now. For example, Lusamine's story possibly being around abandonment issues isn't actually new, in fact it was actually the plot of the third Pokemon movie featuring Molly who felt abandoned by her parents. Another thing is something I found interesting in an interview with Kusaka of Pokemon Adventures, how many of his plot ideas in the first gen wouldn't fly now because there was no Pokemon Company back than. Key-idea, there was no Pokemon Company back than so could this also apply to the anime? After all there are more censored or banned episodes in the early years of Pokemon when released into the west then they are now. Then there's of course the Mewtwo plotline of the first movie which is pretty dark on it's own, dealing with genetic splicing.

8. mehmeh1

mehmeh1 Neutral force of Meh

the strange house sidequest, a girl having been trapped in a nightmare to the point of dying because nobody got the lunar wing until it was too late

shoz999 likes this.
  9. shoz999

shoz999 ... Don't laugh.

To be honest, as dark as they are, I feel like most of the ghost stories can be adapted into the anime as long as they don't explain how the ghosts die, especially the Strange House one which is pretty cruel to be honest. Then again, I suppose it still wouldn't be a faithful adaptation of the lore, so to an extant it's still too dark to be properly adapted.

10. mehmeh1

mehmeh1 Neutral force of Meh

yeah, they'd probably make it so that she died inmediately or just ignore that part of the backstory alltogether, I mean, heck, not even adventures is adapting that as far as we know (then again, that's also probably a time issue, for obvious reasons)

shoz999 likes this.
  11. shoz999

shoz999 ... Don't laugh.

I feel like it would be like that lovers legend ghost episode. They'd gloss over the details and say she'd never wake up for days, months or years and they leave the rest of the stuff to the viewers imagination to connect the dots. Or is that too obvious?

12. Xuxuba

Xuxuba Well-Known Member

Honestly, i find the OS way more darker than the originals games.

I mean, a man pointed a freaking shotgun at Ash's head.

The games had a few mentions of death, but then again, the anime also did.

shoz999 likes this.
  13. lolipiece

lolipiece Me during high school Staff Member Moderator

That's not dark, that's just an example of cultural differences. This is a Japanese show. Standards are different over there, and from what I've seen, it's not completely uncommon to see firearms all casually in kids shows (at least from when I was a kid; things may have changed like here in the West). Of course, given Pokemon's international focus, that kind of stuff is a massive no-no nowadays.

Yu-Gi-Oh! and Zatch Bell are two examples off the top of my head that had guns.

Also, it's not like anyone was actually killed by those guns. Were any of them actually fired? And correct me if I'm wrong, weren't most gun scenes used for comedy?

shoz999, Pokegirl Fan~ and Dragalge like this.
  14. shoz999

shoz999 ... Don't laugh.

Cyrus is fairly too dark for the anime, perhaps the better word is too complicated. Cyrus is the story of a child who was rejected by his parents no matter how well he did in life, preferring the company of machines over people, slowly becoming this selfish nihilist who believes the perfect world is one without emotions or a soul. To him that's a complete world, one that would work by the mechanisms not so different from a machine which is something he finds beautiful and he'll do everything it takes to reach that dream even though he doesn't realize he's surrounded himself with new loyal friends, the admins and his Pokemon, especially Crobat. In the end, does he get it? No one knows, the last time people saw him was in the Distortion World, some presume him to be dead.

15. Zoruagible

Zoruagible Lover of underrated characters

Guzma being abused by his dad
    Hau's dad abandoning him
    AZ apparently :/
    SM Lusamine or even USM Lusamine. Seems like they're too scared to make an important character's parent the villain, which is a real shame as it's always great to see not so great parents in shows when a main character is concerned. At least the anime version of her is still cool
    Oh yes, and real Ghetsis. He tried to kill children and possibly killed Hilbert/Hilda between BW 1 and 2 >.>

shoz999 and TokoyamiTheDark like this.
  16. Xuxuba

Xuxuba Well-Known Member

Yu Gi Oh and Zach Bell are aimed towards older boys, Pokémon is not.

Then again we are not comparing Pokémon with other anime, we are comparing the tv show to the games. And OS had way more dark subjects like death, child neglect and physical violence than RBGY did. Even if it was used for humour, it doesn't change the fact that it was dark. Dark humour is a thing you know.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2019
    shoz999 likes this.
  17. shoz999

shoz999 ... Don't laugh.

I don't know about the Guzma one. I have a strange hunch the Sun & Moon anime may actually visit that part of Guzma's backstory. Some people, me included, have a hunch that Viren, the crooked businessman, might actually be Guzma's dad.

18. AuraChannelerChris

AuraChannelerChris Final Destination me, you *****.

Getting beaten by your own parents is crazy dark enough as is. Hell, they used golf clubs.

We don't even get to hear Ghetsis calling N a freak.

19. shoz999

shoz999 ... Don't laugh.

Honestly I don't think a beating is crazy dark until you add a golf club into the mix. I can see the anime glossing over such dark details and just have Guzma's dad smacking Guzma in the head and Guzma smacking his dad in the head lol in-response saying he's not a kid anymore. Kind of like what Misty does to Ash lol.

20. AuraChannelerChris

AuraChannelerChris Final Destination me, you *****.

Except Guzma's case was played for drama. This saga isn't about that, so it'll make Guzma look much less threatening if he couldn't handle comedic beatings.