1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Story & Lore material from the games that are too dark to be adapted into the anime today?

Discussion in 'Pokémon Animé Discussion' started by shoz999, Mar 29, 2019.

1. Jeal

Jeal Well-Known Member

Majority of the things you think that are too dark for the anime don't are really that dark. It's pokémon, not Dora the explorer.

BTS_fan likes this.
  2. shoz999

shoz999 Do you wanna try a good Tapu Cocoa? My treat.

Let's see what subjects have we talked about. Insanity, attempted murder, war, genocide, earthquake-tsunami-related disasters, the dead girl of the Strange House, the death of Pokemon, physical abuse to children, tower hijacking, test subjects, mind control, child kidnappings, family abandonment and gambling, some of which I've agreed with others that can be somehow adapted in the anime. Although to be honest I do feel like I missed some. I'm not saying Pokemon is a dark series but it's a light-hearted series that certainly has it's fair share of dark subject matter. Judging by your "It's Pokemon, not Dora the Explorer" comment, I'm taking a guess here that your likely argument will be the "That subject matter in Pokemon isn't dark. This "INSERT SERIES" is far darker and far more complicated compared to Pokemon. Therefore it disproves that Pokemon has no dark content at all!" argument?

3. mehmeh1

mehmeh1 #TEAMSOBBLE

though in that case the ghosts were benevolent and were just pranking around

4. shoz999

True, that was a very fun episode, ten times better than the "haunted" house in the XY games but I have to admit that revelation at the end was kind of creepy lol. Oh but you know what I really want to see? A more dark and serious horror episode like the Old Chateau featured in Pokemon Generations. I don't think they've done it since Pokemon Diamond & Pearl.

5. Jeal

Jeal Well-Known Member

Most of the things you mentioned have already happened in the anime or movies. Most of these things are not really dark. Even american cartoons(which are lighter than animes) may include some of these subjects. Things like the ones that happen in TDW, that's what's really dark.

6. shoz999

Appears my guess is correct and you've clearly missed the point. What you say doesn't prove that Pokemon doesn't have dark subject matter. What your doing appears to be that your comparing another series with far more serious dark content to a light-hearted series that happens to have some dark subject matter from time to time. You realize this comparison doesn't disprove that Pokemon does have some darker subjects right? It only proves that one series is far darker than the other.

7. Jeal

Jeal Well-Known Member

These things are not dark. There's no ''half dark'', it's or it's not.

8. shoz999

I agree that it's either dark or not, all the more supporting my point that Pokemon has some dark subject matter. Although it's quite odd you would say that since your argument goes against that notion.

9. Jeal

Jeal Well-Known Member

These things are not dark. If we go by your logic, every cartoon, movie, book etc is dark, because all means of entertainment has some of those things. If all means of entertainment has some of those things, so they are not dark.

10. shoz999

That's not my logic lol. I'm noticing a trend here that you constantly miss the point. I shall explain things more clearly. I'm saying that the subject matter itself is either dark or not, not the series as a whole. It's simple logic but by your logic to be honest is to put it bluntly, kind of stupid. I mean no offense but I don't know how else to word it. Your argument is like saying the light-hearted Pokemon Adventures which has way more darker content than the Pokemon anime instantly proves that the Pokemon anime has no dark subject matter and by extension is like saying that Game of Thrones which absoultely has extremely more darker content than Pokemon Adventures instantly proves that Pokemon Adventures has no dark content. In fact, I honestly don't think even you believe your own argument either judging by how you literally admit that you incorrectly think my logic is basing what series is dark or not on dark subject matter, which you admit exists in light-hearted shows such as Pokemon.

So since you unintentionally agree with me that the Pokemon series does have dark subject matter, how about we put an end to this little discussion?

11. Jeal

Jeal Well-Known Member

Dude, first: I never said ''the anime has no dark content'', it's not relevant if it has or not. What I said was ''most things you mentioned are not dark'' and they are not.
    Second: the fact that a series has darker things does not mean that the less dark things of another series are not dark. They are less dark, but they are. You're misinterpreting what I said. For example, a man cutting other man's arm is dark, but a man beating up and cutting a kid's throat is darker. Get it? I used TDW just as an example of real darkness. I didn't say ''TWD is darker, so Pokémon has not darkness''. It was just a example of dark things compared to the things you mentioned.
    Third: The reason of my first commentary was because a lot of things mentioned in the thread like ''too much dark for the anime'' are not dark. Some things mentioned are dark, for example, genocide, physical abuse to children, but others are not, for example, spirits and tower hijacking. Got it now? It's hard to discuss with you, because you always twist my words.

12. shoz999

That's actually pretty funny. Like you, it appears I have misinterpret some of your argument. So let me try to understand your point more clearly.
    • To sum it up, you acknowledge that the Pokemon series has dark subject matter .
    • However through your second comment, you don't think Pokemon has any "real" dark subject matter using TDW as an example of having "real" dark subject matter. I'm confused by this and this is where I ultimately thought you changed your point to saying Pokemon has no dark subject matter. Isn't this just another way of saying you don't think Pokemon has any dark subject matter, as in entirely? What do you mean by "real" exactly?

13. Jeal

Jeal Well-Known Member

Wow, I really think I explained my point clear enough in the previous post. But okay, let's go. Again, I'm not saying Pokémon has not dark content. What I'm saying is ''most things MENTIONED IN THE THREAD ARE NOT DARK''. I'm not talking about the anime being dark or not, I'm talking about the things you said are dark.

14. shoz999

You need to calm down bud. I already got that message but that still doesn't explain what you mean by "real" darkness. So explain.

15. Jeal

Jeal Well-Known Member

I'm calm. I used capslock to highlight the important part. Real darkness, things like excessive physical violence, mutilation, extreme torture, etc.

16. Blood Red

Blood Red ...

The lore behind Mega Evolutions, and how Pokémon are actually in extreme pain and/or are overcome by their own instinct/bloodlust when they Mega Evolve. To be fair, this only became a thing with S/M, and we did kinda see Koruni's Lucario lose himself to his instincts when he Mega Evolved for the first time...but some of the other stuff is just way too dark.

17. Redstar45

Redstar45 A POCKET MONSTERS & DIGITAL MONSTERS Fan !

Think that that idea in the Pokemon anime show inspiration both special manga & the Pokemon sm games.

18. shoz999

Apologies for the wait. Something came up. Anyways, the reason I asked is this is where my misinterpretation of your statement came from, your subjective and vague usage of the word "real" darkness without an clear explanation up until now.

An interesting byproduct of Shigeru Ohmori's game direction of Sun & Moon don't you think? Now that you brought it up, I suppose we should expect darker subject matter under Ohmori's direction as well for Sword & Shield.

19. Blood Red

Blood Red ...

I hope he doesn't take it too far. There's always been dark stuff in Pokémon, but I (and I'm sure others) don't feel comfortable with the idea of Mega Evolution basically being a form of Pokémon abuse.

mehmeh1 likes this.
  20. Redstar45

Redstar45 A POCKET MONSTERS & DIGITAL MONSTERS Fan !

They are going retcon that idea as let go pikachu and eevee not even mentioned that in pokédéx.....you know make it more like kid friendly ?