1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Story & Lore material from the games that are too dark to be adapted into the anime today?

Discussion in 'Pokémon Animé Discussion' started by shoz999, Mar 29, 2019.

1. Blood Red

Blood Red ...

Maybe it's just because those games are aimed at a more casual audience.

2. shoz999

shoz999 Do you wanna try a good Tapu Cocoa? My treat.

Actually the Let's Go games might also get darker in the later years. That was directed by Junichi Masuda and he has stated that will be the last Pokemon game he will direct meaning in the future, Ohmori could also take over the potential Let's Go series or at the very least put someone else in charge of it.

3. Blood Red

Blood Red ...

Oh yeah, Masuda's stepping back from game direction. Not sure if this is gonna be good, bad or have a barely perceptible difference.

BTS_fan likes this.
  4. Pokegirl Fan~

Pokegirl Fan~ Tsundere Girl

It'll most likely be the third option.

BTS_fan likes this.
  5. shoz999

shoz999 Do you wanna try a good Tapu Cocoa? My treat.

I think it's most likely the first two options for story, lore and characters at least. Your basically handing the keys to remake Johto to Ohmori.

6. Leonhart

Leonhart Well-Known Member

Lucario showed this well enough, and while it might not have been a recurring theme in the XY saga as a whole, I feel like the other Pokemon that Mega Evolved were simply better trained, and therefore it's my head-canon that they had mastered any form of pain or discomfort that Mega Evolution may have caused them.

BTS_fan likes this.
  7. fawfulmark2

fawfulmark2 Well-Known Member

While not really Dark per se, I do notice that the anime never incorporating bits of the Delta Episode from ORAS may fit that bill due to being an atmosphere of constant dread. While the "Save the world" plot points are certainly nothing new to the franchise, the idea of a story where the main characters are running on a very limited timetable and forced to make a drastic decision while the one character who can put a stop to the catastrophe is struggling with their own problems involving a death in the family might be a bit too heavy for young minds in the writer's thoughts.
    Also that introduced the whole Multiverse Theory shenanigans to Pokemon which is just a mess to sort out as is.

BTS_fan likes this.
  8. Shadao

Shadao Champion GETTO DA ZE!

Unlikely, given that "Save the World" plot points always has a countdown of some kind, which would be very catastrophic if time runs out.

One has to look at the whole Team Flare plot where the entire Kalos cast to throw everything they have against the Megalith from reaching its destination. Or the World Tree being on the verge of destruction unless someone gives their own life too Mew. Or the Space-Time continuum being torn apart by a black hole caused by angry dragons of Space and Time.

If I had to guess why the Delta Episode wasn't fully incorporated, it's simply that there was no place to put in the main XY anime and the XY specials featuring Alain were far too few and short to give the weight of Zianna and the whole destroy the Meteor plot.

fawfulmark2, Leonhart and Redstar45 like this.
  9. Redstar45

Redstar45 A POCKET MONSTERS & DIGITAL MONSTERS Fan !

Actually it would be too obvious and while it is be great to see Haruka and Masato again...and Satoshi vs zinna would be so epic to watch .

10. Leonhart

I was never much of a fan of the whole multiverse stuff that Delta Episode foreshadowed in the games, but I would've loved to see Higana show up in the anime, so I do wish that that subplot had happened back in XY, either in the main saga itself or in one of Alain's special episodes.

fawfulmark2 likes this.
  11. BTS_fan

BTS_fan Banned

I'd only want the Zinnia storyline to be adapted if it gets handled the same way as in ORAS with the destruction of the alternate Hoenn being a plot point. Without that, the plot wouldn't even be dark or edgy.

12. mehmeh1

mehmeh1 #TEAMSOBBLE

Well, masuda's last major game was XY, and someone else who isn't neither masuda or ohmori could do the next remake, like say, Iwao (USUM) or Morimoto (HGSS)

Redstar45 and shoz999 like this.
  13. RedJirachi

RedJirachi Veteran member

Good you pointed out the "today". Mewtwo's expanded origins in the first movie are shockingly dark. I believe that the reason AZ didn't appear was because of how dark his background was

Trey pokes and shoz999 like this.
  14. BTS_fan

BTS_fan Banned

AZ's story could have been altered to remove the genocide angle and war themes though.

shoz999 likes this.
  15. Leonhart

The AZ storyline would have made an excellent mini-arc in the XY anime, although it definitely would have needed a few tweaks to remove the death context from the plot. I also think that the Kagome Town subplot from the games involving the town's fear of Kyurem's nightly raids should've been adapted in the Best Wishes saga, albeit with less brutality. Poor Kyurem still hasn't gotten to appear in the main anime.

shoz999 likes this.
  16. BTS_fan

BTS_fan Banned

The Kyurem thing might have worked if the 15th movie hadn't covered Kyurem well already. Also a lot of places in Unova got skipped altogether and Lacunosa Town was a victim of that neglect.

17. Leonhart

I do remember how Best Wishes became oddly paced in the second half and that many towns and areas in Isshu were ignored, but the Kyurem thing feels like something that should've been delved into since the Isshu saga had already covered Zekrom and would eventually showcase Reshiram in Episode N. So Kyurem getting a subplot would've been splendid.

18. RedR

RedR Well-Known Member

Nothing in the games has been darker than what happened to Snubble in M21 or Lysander in XY&Z, so nothing from the games are too dark to adapt.

19. Leonhart

I didn't find his death to be that much worse than Hunter J's death however since it wasn't graphic and was only implied. It would've been a different story if we had seen him die on-screen.

20. RedJirachi

RedJirachi Veteran member

Plus we don't see him die on-screen in the original games anyway, just heavily implied. Or worse, that he got immortality and is suffering