1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Story & Lore material from the games that are too dark to be adapted into the anime today?

Discussion in 'Pokémon Animé Discussion' started by shoz999, Mar 29, 2019.

1. MidnightMelody

MidnightMelody Hopeful for Gen 8

I don't think any of it is too dark I think they are just too scared to do certain things. A lot of shows/movies or games for kids has dark stuff to it but Pokemon has always played it safe and that has been an issue.

2. Leonhart

Leonhart Well-Known Member

Well this is a series primarily aimed at kindergarteners and primary school children, so I understand why they play it safe most of the time. I say most of the time because the writers have shown that they can write rather dark storylines on rare occasions, such as deaths which while always off-screen, still seem rather dark for this series.

3. I think the person who made this thread was talking specifically about dark moments in the anime, so the movies shouldn't count especially since the 21st movie wasn't even canon. Snubbull's death was pretty dark though but since it wasn't explicit it didn't pull at my heartstrings too much.

4. MockingJ

MockingJ Banned

They didn't play it safe when they had Lysandre almost crucify Ash in Lumiose City that one time. That whole scene had to be edited in the West.

Redstar45 and Xuxuba like this.
  5. Leonhart

Even that wasn't as dark by anime standards from my perspective. It was something that I think shouldn't have been done in the first place since it was just asking for trouble internationally, but it wasn't really that much of a grim scene in the original version.

MockingJ likes this.
  6. Pikachu Fan Number Nine

Pikachu Fan Number Nine Don't Mess wit Texas

I don't think anything is too dark. In fact some of it borders on not dark enough.

The show can't remain lighthearted forever. The sooner it turns away from that direction the better.

MockingJ likes this.
  7. Pokegirl Fan~

Pokegirl Fan~ Rei Claus

It's a kodomo anime for like 5-10 year old children though, so I doubt they'll ever go darker

8. AznKei

AznKei Badass girls saving their boyfriends. XD

Yokai Watch did this and look what happened. Even if you like dark/edgy stuffs, it isn't for their targeted audience in which takes the bulk of their viewership.

FlygontheRavager likes this.
  9. Wow, what exactly is your definition of dark then? This is a kid's show for crying out loud.

10. Doppelgänger

Doppelgänger Superancient Member

To the target audience, I think the Ghetsis scenes are worse. Evil adults and innocent Pokemon dying don't elicit the same kind of terror as seeing children who could be you in a life threatening situation.

This is why Ground-types use Stone Edge or Dig in the anime instead of Earthquake. The writers don't want to show child characters experiencing earthquakes in a region where it's a real and terrible.

11. Leonhart

It's remained lighthearted for the most part for more than 20 years with only a few "dark" episodes here and there that can be counted on one hand. There's no big change coming in the near future either, so I'm not sure that we can expect the content in the anime to reach PG-13 proportions or anything too serious.