• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Storyline and Characters Discussion Thread [Read First Post]

Status
Not open for further replies.

DBK

Renegade Trainer
That does not stop them from being valuable alternates to gyms. Granted GF will not likely ever allow alternate advancing methods but just because some fans do not like contest/musicals.the pokethalon does not make them/it bad.

You haven't been playing pokemon for very long, have you? The gym system will not go away. That's all there is to it.

FYI, I liked the original contests and the Pokethalon. They're still horrible alternatives to gyms. The point of pokemon is to get stronger through battling. Contests/Pokethalon do not reflect that in any way.

Yes it does. If GF replaced Gyms with contests after how horrible they were in DPPt and in the anime after Hoenn this series would hit the dirt fast.
That's a little extreme, but agreed.

Ansem1013

4768-7457-8661
Exactly. The only contest i enjoyed were the RSE ones because they were what a contest is and were short.

I saw contests in DPPt as an improvement. I actually liked them lol. I do prefer the different levels of contest being in different towns though, like they originally were in RS.

Let's talk about characters though, since that's what this thread is for. Umm, I don't really have anything new food for thought right now though...

OH! What if we got a pokemon as the villain for once? I mean, it's not being controlled by anyone or anything. Acting on its own motives, it wrecks havoc on the region and the player must oppose it and with N's help find out its reasoning and help calm the beast before it's too late? I think that'd be a nice change to things. Kyurem was mentioned to have eaten people, so I could see it being a misunderstood villain of sorts if they did the story the right way.

TWN

5326 7398 1244

Rightbackatcha, formula man.

That evil bosses idea would take away from the overall theme of pokemon (another part of the core formula). So again, not going to happen.
The formula is not set in stone. Why don't you understand that? Pokemon can and will evolve whether you like it or not. And a sequel has never been established, so there is no formula established for how one would operate. HAving the player fight the same bosses in a sequel as he/she did in its prequel is a terrible design choice. Why would they want you retread your footsteps from BW1 when it would be equal the amount of work to establish new footsteps to offer the player a new experience?

Business sense > formulas

It would only make it like BW1's story if we had the same characters. Since that is not the case, your point is moot. Not to mention that moving the gyms to post game changes the core formula, which they also won't do.

Not really. There would still be eight bosses. They just wouldn't all be in buildings labeled "GYM" and they'd actually contribute to a storyline.

Ugh...

The gyms in the remakes were changed up, so they weren't they same as the originals (not entirely).

Still the same bosses; aesthetically the same to players.

Every time they introduce a new gen, not a new story line. Pt and E's story line were different (for the most part) form DP and RS, and the leaders were the same (for the most part). Hell they even changed the champion and a gym leader in E.
Again why does it make sense to employ the same bosses in a sequel as its prequel? It made sense in Platinum and Emerald because they were rehashes, which doens't call for a new set of bosses. BW2 is not a third game, the designers are free to make the experience different from BW1.

And I never said all the leaders. Learn to read.

If you didn't mean all the leaders then what point were you trying to make?

Stymie

powered by insanity
from what we've seen, there wouldn't be much to progress through in any of those categories. Maybe if contests were in separate towns again, but even then, there'd only be 4. 5 if they made a Grand Festival-style thing

I quite like that idea as well as spontaneous battle tournaments against other trainers.

Maybe there could be a pokemon olympics like tournament as in pokeathlon or just with battles.

Ansem1013

4768-7457-8661
I quite like that idea as well as spontaneous battle tournaments against other trainers.

Maybe there could be a pokemon olympics like tournament as in pokeathlon or just with battles.

so, something like the battle dome basically?

DBK

Renegade Trainer
Rightbackatcha, formula man.

The formula is not set in stone. Why don't you understand that? Pokemon can and will evolve whether you like it or not. And a sequel has never been established, so there is no formula established for how one would operate. HAving the player fight the same bosses in a sequel as he/she did in its prequel is a terrible design choice. Why would they want you retread your footsteps from BW1 when it would be equal the amount of work to establish new footsteps to offer the player a new experience?

Business sense > formulas

Not really. There would still be eight bosses. They just wouldn't all be in buildings labeled "GYM" and they'd actually contribute to a storyline.

Still the same bosses; aesthetically the same to players.

Again why does it make sense to employ the same bosses in a sequel as its prequel? It made sense in Platinum and Emerald because they were rehashes, which doens't call for a new set of bosses. BW2 is not a third game, the designers are free to make the experience different from BW1.

If you didn't mean all the leaders then what point were you trying to make?

*face desk*

The core formula is set in stone. Why can't you understand that? They can change how it is presented, but they will never change the core formula. It's what's been making them money, so it would be good business sense not to change it, and they won't.

The whole point of pokemon, and what the stories piggy back on, is to get stronger through participating in the league (another part of the core formula). The gyms aren't meant to contribute to the story line, but to the theme of the franchise. Thus they are staying were they are.

It makes sense because you will be using different characters, the gyms will be revamped, and maybe there will be a new leader or two. It makes the experience fresh. Obviously not for you, but for the vast majority of players it does. Just because you don't like it doesn't mean that the majority don't like it.

Like I said, some of the leaders could be changed. If you haven't (or wouldn't) gotten my point by now, then this conversation is pointless.

TWN

5326 7398 1244
*face desk*

The core formula is set in stone. Why can't you understand that? They can change how it is presented, but they will never change the core formula. It's what's been making them money, so it would be good business sense not to change it, and they won't.

The whole point of pokemon, and what the stories piggy back on, is to get stronger through participating in the league (another part of the core formula). The gyms aren't meant to contribute to the story line, but to the theme of the franchise. Thus they are staying were they are.

It makes sense because you will be using different characters, the gyms will be revamped, and maybe there will be a new leader or two. It makes the experience fresh. Obviously not for you, but for the vast majority of players it does. Just because you don't like it doesn't mean that the majority don't like it.

Like I said, some of the leaders could be changed. If you haven't (or wouldn't) gotten my point by now, then this conversation is pointless.

You say that the formula is set in stone because it works. Why does it work? Because it makes the series fun. GF won't change the battle mechanics because they make the series fun. They won't take out the explorable region aspect out of the series because it makes the series fun. They won't remove boss battles because they make the series fun. They won't remove a trophy system (such as badges) for winning those battles because it makes the series rewarding and fun. But how on Earth does the fact that all the bosses in every game are all inside buildings labeled "GYM" have any benefit to the series whatsoever? I don't care what Game Freak has always done; they've never made a sequel before. Gyms are an easily disposable part of the storyline, especially if they contain the same bosses as its prequel. Game Freak has never had a reason to dispose of gyms from the storyline before because each new storyline has taken place in a new generation, allowing for new gyms, and thus new bosses. But now that Game Freak is taking on a project involving a brand new story in a predefined region, they have a reason to deviate from the gyms (to create a new experience), so it's foolish to automatically assume that Game Freak would commit the gameplay to the same exact tasks as we underwent in the first games unless these games are a rehash, which they aren't.

You also say they won't change the formula, just how it's presented...which is exactly what I'm suggesting. Still eight boss battles, just not presented as the gym system, which is merely an aesthetic.

If Game Freak is going to code a whole new story into Unova, they're going to make the experience something new. Pursuing the Unova gyms is not something new--we did that a year ago. We need to have a new objective this time. Game Freak's designers and writers are way too creative to let this game become a rehash of last year's game.

I'm thinking in regard to creativity, you're thinking in regard to mathematics. Mathematics doesn't design a video game.

Last edited:

TWN

5326 7398 1244
actually maths do design a video game heck pokemon is made of maths. Heck pokemon game is made up of famuler for calculating thngs like EVs. Case in point http://http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/EVs

I'll say math and creativity are needed to make a video game.

I said design, not make. There's a huge difference. Creativity is for designing, math is for programming. The programmers don't make decisions regarding the storyline.

MidnightMelody

Hopeful for Gen 8
You know what be stubborn and not consider the idea. Meanwhile I am just going to wait and see.

Now I know how Vegeta feels when dealing with Nappa.....

Anyway I hope they give a more alive feel to Unova. Wouldn't it be possible to have people driving cars around? not like in GTA 4 but just random cars nothing fancy. You see a truck under Skyarrow bridge but only when your on the bridge.

Ilan

Now I know how Vegeta feels when dealing with Nappa.....

Anyway I hope they give a more alive feel to Unova. Wouldn't it be possible to have people driving cars around? not like in GTA 4 but just random cars nothing fancy. You see a truck under Skyarrow bridge but only when your on the bridge.

It is funny because you have no idea from where the cars come or to where they go and people just brought cars to cross the skyarrow bridge.

I hope they give the villain team (plasma?) better pokemons than patrats... and that the gym leaders and in general everybody will use 5-6 pokemons... because everybody uses 3 pokemons on average... if they put 2 6x6 battles they can put less trainers and where is the useless pokemon trainer with 6 magikarps?

MidnightMelody

Hopeful for Gen 8
It is funny because you have no idea from where the cars come or to where they go and people just brought cars to cross the skyarrow bridge.

I hope they give the villain team (plasma?) better pokemons than patrats... and that the gym leaders and in general everybody will use 5-6 pokemons... because everybody uses 3 pokemons on average... if they put 2 6x6 battles they can put less trainers and where is the useless pokemon trainer with 6 magikarps?

Same maybe even gym rules like the anime like 2 out of 3 or 3 on 3 instead of you using all your pokemon if they have only 3

DittoDude

The King of Town.
What I hope is that they spread stuff better. Right now, almost everything worthwhile is in Nimbasa City. Do you know what's in Lacunosa Town and Accumula Town. NOTHING.

TsukiMirage

Rikudou Master
i have a solution to the airport problem but its preety stupid. you sneak into a box, hide there until the plane is like 3000 feet in the air and then u battle through a bunch of flight attendants and pilots and battle skyla to convice her to let you ride in here plain although she might just call the authorities on you hmmmm
This scenario reminded me of how the opening of RSE went, with the player arriving in the back of a truck.

It would be nice to see more cars around the rest of the region, instead of simply in a single city and route.

An upgrade to 4 pokemon being average would be nice. Doubt they would go up to five pokemon before you get near the final gym and league.

This scenario reminded me of how the opening of RSE went, with the player arriving in the back of a truck.

It would be nice to see more cars around the rest of the region, instead of simply in a single city and route.

An upgrade to 4 pokemon being average would be nice. Doubt they would go up to five pokemon before you get near the final gym and league.

The cars would be nice, but I think them moving would just take up space they do not want to waste.

What I hope is that they spread stuff better. Right now, almost everything worthwhile is in Nimbasa City. Do you know what's in Lacunosa Town and Accumula Town. NOTHING.

I agree. The routes and towns are nowhere as big as Sinnoh. I was thinking about it the other day, there is so much more to do there. I hope they spread things out more and add a little bit of events.

Same maybe even gym rules like the anime like 2 out of 3 or 3 on 3 instead of you using all your pokemon if they have only 3

I've wanted this for a long time but I don't see it ever happening. A simple solution would be to install a hard and easy mode which would allow more experienced players to actually have a challenge, but I don't ever see this happening.

They missed a lot of opportunities in BW for double battles. There should have been a lot more. I would like to see some more triple battles too. Increasing the number of Pokemon trainers carry would be great. Hopefully they do and the levels go up.

Wulava

danger chili pepper
Staff member
Lacunosa had the Gracidea...

That is IF you have the Fateful Encounter Shaymin. But aside from obtaining a berry from a businessman there every Sunday, that's all there is to it. It would be nice if they go more in depth with the Lacunosa legend in BW2.

Regarding Accumula Town. Make good use of the town square. This place feels so empty. At least have a weekly/daily event or something.

About Anville Town, there's one interesting train.
This train car is a new train to run in the future! Wooo! Cool! Super cool! The latest motor breathes fire! Uh-oh, if it really breathed fire, that would be bad! But it is full of the latest technologies! It's undergoing a lot of testing. It's called a gauge-convertible train. It's a sweet car that can adjust its wheels to run on any rail!
If ever the Subway is expanded to be a Frontier, I bet this will be the train to use.

Ansem1013

4768-7457-8661
my idea for BW2's villain got buried in arguments :(

OH! What if we got a pokemon as the villain for once? I mean, it's not being controlled by anyone or anything. Acting on its own motives, it wrecks havoc on the region and the player must oppose it and with N's help find out its reasoning and help calm the beast before it's too late? I think that'd be a nice change to things. Kyurem was mentioned to have eaten people, so I could see it being a misunderstood villain of sorts if they did the story the right way.

Status
Not open for further replies.