• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Strange Names (or, Rate My HG Team pl0x kthxbai)

Hawkflight

Psychic Cyndaquil
'Strange Names' at a glance:

157.png
|
470.png
|
dpmfa468.png
|
149.png
|
dpmfa212.png
|
376.png

Typhlosion.png

Typhlosion @ Charcoal
Ability: Blaze
Nature: Modest
EVs: All over the place.
-Flamethrower
-Flare Blitz (later Eruption)
-Earthquake
-Extrasensory (I am not getting rid of this move for personal reasons. Period.)

Leafeon.png

Leafeon @ Muscle Band
Ability: Leaf Guard
Nature: Adamant
-Seed Bomb (later Leaf Blade)
-Return
-Swords Dance
-Quick Attack

Togekiss.png

Togekiss @ Wise Specs
Ability: Hustle
Nature: Lonely
-Air Slash
-Aura Sphere
-Fly
-Thunder Wave

Dragonite.png

Dragonite @ Dragon Claw
Ability: Inner Focus
Nature: Sassy
-Dragon Claw
-Dragon Dance
-Fire Punch
-Surf (needed for dungeons and field use, don't want an HM slave, don't need an HM slave, shut up about the HM slaves)

scizor.png

Scizor @ Steel Coat
Ability: Technician
Nature: Impish
-Bug Bite
-Bullet Punch
-Brick Break / Rock Smash
-Swords Dance

Metagross.png

Metagross @ Muscle Band
Ability: Clear Body
Nature: Adamant
-Zen Headbutt
-Meteor Mash
-Strength (again, needed for dungeons, I don't want to have to dedicate a slot to an HM slave in these instances)
-Agility​

EDIT: I am not open to getting rid of any HMs, FYI. I need them to get through Kanto.

EDIT: Also, no egg moves please. I'd honestly rather not re-breed my Pokemon and raise them back up from level 1. @_@

Last edited:

AlCario

Banned
T-tar > Gyarados. All Dos does for this team is add another Rock weakness. It might be worth noting that you have a lot of those.

I hope this was enlightening for you.

The Mighty Wurmple

Metagross really appreciates Zen Headbutt > Psychic and maybe Meteor Mash > Bullet Punch, depending if you really want to keep priority or not.

There's no need for Pursuit on Tyranitar, as the AI rarely switches and if the occasion arises you most likely won't know.

Roost > Secret Power on Togekiss, or over Thunder Punch on Dragonite. Pick one, as there's only one TM as far as I know.

Hawkflight

Psychic Cyndaquil
Thanks for the tips. I originally had Zen Headbutt, but replaced it with Psychic for more Special Attack coverage. It might be better to keep Zen Headbutt, though.

Also, yeah, that was a typo. I meant to write "Payback". It's powerful on T-Tar, considering STAB and its low Speed.

Also also, I can't get rid of Gyarados. I need a Pokemon with Surf. I still need to get through Kanto remember, and I can't do that without Surf. This is in-game remember, I still need my field moves. Unless you have a good water-type replacement. Like Milotic maybe?

EDIT: Unless, maybe if I put Surf on Dragonite?

Last edited:

Gligari

Shiny Hunter
Hey all, figured I'd post a new thread as opposed to necro-ing my old one, since my team has changed quite a bit since I first put it up anyways. So, here it is, my team, aka Strange Names.

157.png

Typhlosion (Modest/Quick To Flee) @Choice Specs/Scarf or Charcoal)
-Flamethrower
-Flare Blitz (later becomes Eruption)
-Focus Blast

471.png

Glaceon (Timid) @????
Snow Cloak
-Ice Beam
-Wish
-Shadow Ball
-Water Pulse/Aqua tail?

dpmfa468.png

Togekiss @Wise Specs
Serene Grace
-Air Slash
-Aura Sphere
-Nasty Plot
-Roost

149.png

Dragonite (Jolly) @Yache Berry
Inner Focus
-Dragon Claw
-Earthquake
-Dragon Dance
-Thunder Punch

Good but maybe a life orb?

redgyarados.png

Gyarados @Muscle Band
Intimidate
-Surf (needed for dungeons, I don't want to have to dedicate a slot to an HM slave in these instances)Its easy to make a hm slave but ok. You could be running a dragon dance in this.
-Waterfall
-Ice Fang
-Earthquake

dpmfsa376.png

Metagross @Shell Bell
Clear Body
-Zen Headbutt
-Meteor Mash
-Strength (again, needed for dungeons, I don't want to have to dedicate a slot to an HM slave in these instances)Hammer Arm
-Bullet Punch

dpmfa248.png

Tyranitar @????
Sandstream
-Earthquake
-Crunch
-Stone Edge
-Dragon Dance

Now, did you notice something odd here? Yes, I posted 7 Pokemon. This is because I honestly can't decide: I really like Tyranitar, but is it worth taking another Pokemon out to replace him? He's on the chopping block, but I like this Pokemon so much I can't just ditch him, can I?

EDIT: I am not open to getting rid of any HMs, FYI. I need them to get through Kanto.

EDIT: Also, no egg moves please. I'd honestly rather not re-breed my Pokemon and raise them back up from level 1. @_@

I put some attacks on but I dont know if you will use any of them. You basicly asked us to look at your hm full team.

Hawkflight

Psychic Cyndaquil
Thanks for the tips, Gligari. But with all due respect, did you even read my post? I said no getting rid of HMs, and no egg moves. Please respect my decision in this department. There's a very major problem with HM slaves. That is, they take up a slot in my team. I, personally, would rather sacrifice a couple of move slots than sacrifice an entire Pokemon.

EDIT: I've edited my team btw.

Last edited:

peacemaker987

Custom User Title
Hey all, figured I'd post a new thread as opposed to necro-ing my old one, since my team has changed quite a bit since I first put it up anyways. So, here it is, my team, aka Strange Names.

157.png

-Flamethrower
-Focus Blast
good
471.png

Glaceon (Timid) @????
Snow Cloak
-Ice Beam
-Wish/HP fighting
-Shadow Ball
-Water Pulse
if you're lucky enough to get HP fighting use it instead of wish, glaceon's not that bulky
dpmfa468.png

Togekiss @Wise Specs
Serene Grace
-Air Slash
-Aura Sphere
-Fly
-Roost/flamethrower/body slam

149.png

Dragonite (Jolly) @muscle band
Inner Focus
-Dragon Claw
-Earthquake
-Dragon Dance
-firepunch Punch
thunderpunch doesnt really hit anything dragonclaw cant, but firepunch can
dpmfa248.png

Tyranitar @Shell Bell
Sandstream
-Earthquake
-Crunch
-Stone Edge
-Surf (needed for dungeons, I don't want to have to dedicate a slot to an HM slave in these instances)

dpmfsa376.png

Metagross @????
Clear Body
-Zen Headbutt
-Meteor Mash
-Strength (again, needed for dungeons, I don't want to have to dedicate a slot to an HM slave in these instances)
-agility/earthquake
no need for bullet punch when you can have agility
redgyarados.png

Gyarados @Muscle Band
Intimidate
-dragon dance
-Waterfall
-Ice Fang
-Earthquake
you have tyranitar for surf :p
EDIT: Now it's Gyarados on the chopping block. I am somewhat more happy with this.

comments in green

Gligari

Shiny Hunter
Thanks for the tips, Gligari. But with all due respect, did you even read my post? I said no getting rid of HMs, and no egg moves. Please respect my decision in this department. There's a very major problem with HM slaves. That is, they take up a slot in my team. I, personally, would rather sacrifice a couple of move slots than sacrifice an entire Pokemon.

EDIT: I've edited my team btw.

Ya. I know that why I said I dont know if you can use them.

Hawkflight

Psychic Cyndaquil
@peacemaker987: Thanks for the tips. I do have a couple questions.

1) How do I get HP Fighting?

2) I'm a little confused on your suggestions for Togekiss, mind explaining why those moves?

3) If I get rid of Thunderpunch, what am I going to do against all those water types? (Seeing as Type Advantage > STAB.)

Miles91

157.png

-Flamethrower
-Focus Blast
Psychic Cyndaquil ;) I like it.

471.png

Glaceon (Timid) @????
Snow Cloak
-Ice Beam
-Heal Bell
-Shadow Ball
-Water Pulse
All good.

dpmfa468.png

Togekiss (Lonely) @Wise Specs
Serene Grace
-Air Slash
-Aura Sphere
-Fly
-Roost
Can't think of any way to improve this one either.

149.png

Dragonite (Jolly) @Yache Berry
Inner Focus
-Dragon Claw
-Earthquake
-Dragon Dance
-Fire Punch
I think Fire Punch would suit it better.

dpmfa248.png

Tyranitar (Brave) @Shell Bell
Sandstream
-Thunder Punch
-Crunch
-Stone Edge
-Surf (needed for dungeons, I don't want to have to dedicate a slot to an HM slave in these instances)
Suggested Thunder Punch due to water weakness. And it's the only electric move on the team. Earthquake doesn't get stab anyways, and you already have it on Dragonite.

dpmfsa376.png

Metagross (Naive) @????
Clear Body
-Zen Headbutt
-Meteor Mash
-Agility

redgyarados.png

Gyarados @Muscle Band
Intimidate
-Dragon Dance
-Waterfall
-Ice Fang
-Earthquake

EDIT: Now it's Gyarados on the chopping block. I am somewhat more happy with this.

Pretty awesome team I think. Comments in bold. ^_^

Last edited:

peacemaker987

Custom User Title
@peacemaker987: Thanks for the tips. I do have a couple questions.

1) How do I get HP Fighting?

2) I'm a little confused on your suggestions for Togekiss, mind explaining why those moves?

3) If I get rid of Thunderpunch, what am I going to do against all those water types? (Seeing as Type Advantage > STAB.)

1) you breed over and over again, the HP's fixed so it'll take awhile, talk to the guy in the prize exchange beside the celadon game corner

2)flamethrower w/serene grace = burn, which softens incoming physical hits
bodyslam really isnt for hurting them, but to paralyze them while doing damage

3)No watertype resists dragonclaw, and fire+dragon is only resisted by heatran who gets destroyed by earthquake

Hawkflight

Psychic Cyndaquil
Okay, I'll grant you that, edited.

But, is it really worth using Flamethrower, when (even with Serene Grace) there's only a 20% chance? I mean, the foe will probably be dead by the time it gets burned.

peacemaker987

Custom User Title
like bodyslam, it's an option that could be used instead of roost.
you can always use it for the random steel type who only gets neutral from aurasphere like skarmory, metagross, and bronzong
unfortunately the only notable one in-game is a heatproof bronzong :p

AlCario

Banned
@OP: Fly is not a good option for Togekiss; I understand you need the HM, but Toge's attack is useless and it already has STAB. I suggest moving Fly to Dragonite, over Fire Punch. Run Thunder Wave over Fly on Toge.

@peacemaker987: Flamethrower is pointless on Togekiss; you should not use something just for the 20% burn rate. Body Slam is f*cking useless. Why on earth would you put a physical move on a Special pokemon? Thunder Wave is the far superior option for paralysis. 100% > 60 % any day.

@Gligari/Miles91: You guys need to lurk more; your rating skills are very limited.

Hawkflight

Psychic Cyndaquil
With all due respect AlCario, I think you're wrong on that. Let's remove Fly for a moment. I'm not going to be using that move in battle anyways, it's for field use. Now, Togekiss has Thunder Wave, and Dragonite has Fire Punch. Which of these should I replace? I think you'll agree I should replace Thunder Wave, as Togekiss's foe will be dead before it can take effect anyways, and Fire Punch on Dragonite is just too good.

Hawkflight

Psychic Cyndaquil
Okay, I've made some changes. I've ditched Tyr for the faster and more damaging Scyther. It's worth noting that this has necessitated me placing Surf on Dragonite, but I think it's for the best. Rate pl0x.

peacemaker987

Custom User Title
ah yus, first off evolve it

Spr_4h_212_f.png
@iron plate
=adament=
~technician~
252atk/200hp/56spd
-bullet PAWNCH
-swordsdance
-bugbite
-brickbreak/nightslash[

this was a fun rate :D

Hawkflight

Psychic Cyndaquil
Mmmm, yes, I am thinking about evolving it. I'm highly concerned, however, over the pathetic speed. If I do evolve it, should I put in Agility in there somewhere?

EDIT: Can't change the nature, it's already in my team and I ain't switching it.

Last edited: