• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Strange Studying (Advanceshipping, rated PG)

Mel-Girl

left. right.
Okay, I felt like writing an Advanceshipping type oneshot, yeah. It's pretty random, trust me! I made Satoshi and Haruka both really dense, but not in a bad way, don't worry!

It's AU, by the way.

SUMMARY: Haruka hasn't studied for the upcoming test! So when she goes to the library, she bumps into someone who hasn't studied either...

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Haruka’s POV

“Hikari! I didn’t study at all! And the test is tomorrow!” I moaned from under my bed covers. I heard groans from my dormitory roommates. “Can you help me?” I asked, tossing the sheets off while sitting up.

Hikari shook her head. “I really don’t get how Nozomi and Kasumi convinced me to study but not you...” She stared back down at her work, taking more notes from a school textbook.

Kasumi walked past us and commented, “We made the mistake of assuming that Haruka would be brainy enough to actually remember to study...”

“Hey! Are you saying you made me study because you thought I was too dumb to remember?!” Hikari snapped as the rest of us chuckled at her. She then pointed a finger at me and said, “You shouldn’t be laughing! After all, Haruka, you haven’t studied one bit! You’ll be looking like a major idiot tomorrow! And worse when you get your results back!”

With a ‘hmph’, she went back to studying. I sighed. Hikari has got a good point there. What should I do? Just do a study cram now? Steal test answers? Get sick so I don’t have to do the test until later.

Nozomi stood up. “Haruka, why don’t I go grab you some books that’ll be easy to read but still have the information? Come along. I’m meeting Shigeru at the library because he’s studying there too.”

I nodded. May as well. Studying with others seems like a good idea.

0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0

As Nozomi and I arrived at the library, we couldn’t see Shigeru anywhere. So Nozomi eventually decided to point out the books I should get. Checking the computer catalogue, I found out that the books were on the third floor. Ugh, I hate exercise and flights of stairs.

Her eyes flew open as Nozomi found who she was looking for. “Shigeru! I’ve been looking for you!” she rushed over to him and they immediately launched into discussion. Staring for a moment, I eventually decided that there was no point sticking around when I could use this time to grab a book and study.

I went up the flights of stairs in a rush, only realising after that I wasn’t in that much of a rush. I moaned as I noticed that there was an elevator and an escalator. Why the hell did I take the stairs?

I searched the entire floor, shot past various aisles and then I halted when I came to a crazy realisation. Sure, the book covers tons of topics but what aspect of science is this stupid test for? Chemistry? Biology? Physics? What are those subjects anyway?

I’m horrible at science. Even if I do cram in some studying, I’m just going to forget it all. Eventually I decided that I was going to find the book and ask later what I’m studying for! Not many people do it in that order, but that’s okay! I won’t fail!

Eventually I found the right aisle and I squealed with delight. “That’s the book!” I went dashing for the book immediately!

BAM!!

I found myself lying on the ground, flat on my back and a boy with raven black hair, dark eyes and a slight tan with lying right on top of me. “Ow...” I mumbled, trying to recognise the boy. He was about my age and had a familiar face. I could see a huge blush forming across his cheeks.

He attempted to get back onto his feet, crying out the occasional, “Sorry! I didn’t see you there!” As the boy got up, I suddenly recognised his face.

Getting up, I exclaimed, “Satoshi! Never thought I’d see you here!” Satoshi suddenly leaped up in shock, his eyes darting all over the place, his face going bright red. “Satoshi, are you here to grab books to study too?”

“Man, I fell on Haruka!” Satoshi told himself, still looking around. “Knowing Shigeru, he’s probably around, and he saw, and he’s laughing at us!” After a moment, he sighed and grinned at me. “Yeah, I haven’t studied at all so Shigeru told me that he’s meeting Nozomi at the library so he said I should come along, grab some books and have a huge study session!”

A huge grin formed on my face. “That’s pretty much the same for me! I didn’t study either! We’re both complete idiots, aren’t we?” We both chuckled, even though it suddenly occurred to me that I managed to get away with insulting Satoshi.

“Hey, why don’t we study – whoa!” Satoshi started losing his balance suddenly, tottering back and forth, trying to regain control of himself. Suddenly, he fell forward towards me.

“Careful!” I called out, catching him before we ended up like how we were before. “Man, you like collapsing on top of me, don’t you?” My face went crimson when I realised what I just said. Satoshi didn’t seem to really notice though as he shot me a quizzical look.

“Um.. Well, I guess I’m just a klutz today...” Satoshi replied, scratching his head. He picked up a book that was on the ground. “Hey, uh... I was trying to get this book... You too?” I nodded instantly and asked what the test for tomorrow is on. “I don’t remember...” he smiled sheepishly.

My eyes lit up as I got an idea. “How about we memorize all the important notes in the whole entire book?” I suggested, as Satoshi looked at the book doubtfully.

He opened up the book to the back and groaned. “It’s got six-hundred pages...”

I sighed, before getting another idea. “We’ll tear the book in half, you memorize one half of the book and I’ll memorize the other then we’ll swap each other’s notes if we have time!”

“... Hey, yeah!” Satoshi suddenly understood what I meant and got out his scissors. He began to chop the book in half. He passed me one half and we walked over to the nearest desk, got out our notebooks and pen and started to study.

Every now and then, I could see Satoshi looking up at me and when our eyes met, we’d both look back down again. “... Haruka... You look like you’re really concentrating...” I can’t concentrate at all...” Satoshi mumbled, his cap sloped down, casting a shadow over his face.

I gave him a warm smile and took the cap off his head. “You can take the cap off for starters. Why do you always wear a cap anyway? Your hair’s pretty cool.”

Satoshi grinned. “I just like wearing caps, I guess. And what about you? What’s with you and wearing the colour red? Every outfit I see you in is red!”

“I just like wearing red, I guess.”

“Am I interrupting something?” a familiar voice asked as Satoshi and I shot up to our feet with surprise. Did we really seem that comfortable studying together from the eyes of onlookers? My face starting burning as I realised that who asked the question was Shigeru.

My face cooling down, I blew a sigh of relief. Shigeru always teases everyone about being couples and stuff like that. Satoshi shot Shigeru a mischievious grin, asking, “How was your chat with Nozomi, huh? Was it all romantic and – Ow!” I smacked Satoshi’s shoulder and reminded him that Nozomi’s a lesbian. “Oh, right. I forgot...”

Shigeru rolled his eyes and answered, “Well, it was very... enlightening. Got some important notes to look over for that Chemistry test. And... talking to her made me feel lesbian. I only date girls now.” I laughed at this, even though it was a little sad on Nozomi.

Satoshi just stared with confusion. “But you already date girls only!” He suddenly appeared to get the point of what Shigeru was saying. “Well, that’s great news! Harley is finally in your dating range! Can’t get more feminine than him!”

Shigeru grinned. “Oh, lucky me!” He stared down at our table and frowned. “What book are you using, Satoshi?”

“Uh... The Science Encyclopedia part two!” Satoshi answered, as Shigeru turned to me. “Oh, by the way, the book isn’t a series like a two-parter where one half of the stuff is in one book and the rest in the other... Ya know, it’s not a series like uh... Harry Potter.”

“Okay, so what’s that you’ve got there?” Shigeru asked me, before he backed away when I shot him a triumphant grin. I picked up my half of the book and held it up in front of him.

“This is the first part of the Science Encyclopedia!” I announced with a sparkle in my eye. “You see, at first Satoshi and I weren’t sure which aspect of science we were meant to be studying for. So I said we should learn all of the notes in the book but it’s six-hundred pages worth of stuff so I got Satoshi to split the book in half! Brilliant, huh? Now we can both take notes from the same book at the same time!”

Shigeru stared at both of us with a look of disbelief. “So you cut a book that doesn’t belong to you in half for your own convenience?”

We both nodded with huge grins on our faces. “Yup!”

“...You’re both really dumb, aren’t ya?” Shigeru muttered, before walking off to leave Satoshi and I to study.

I suddenly swivelled around to face Satoshi, a sheer look of horror on my face. “We damaged library property!” Satoshi slapped his hand over my mouth, my cheeks blushing pink again.

“Don’t say that so loudly! There’s only one thing to do at a time like this...”

His hand shifted my mouth and I blurted out, “Run?”

Satoshi’s eyes widened. “I was about to suggest glueing it back together but hey, I can never find most of my stationary so running sounds like a great idea! Even better, let’s shove the book on someone else so someone else gets the blame!”

“But shoving the halves of the book on someone takes effort too...”

Satoshi and I pondered the situation for a moment. “Okay, I’ve decided! We will run! But because you’re incredibly slow at running, Haruka, I’ll pull you along!”

“Wait, what?!” Before I knew it, Satoshi had grabbed me by the arm and started sprinting down the stairs, while I had no choice but to be pulled along. We dodged past people, including Nozomi who called after us. I couldn’t catch her words though as Satoshi was too fast and I lost sight of her quickly.

A moment later, Satoshi and I were outside the library puffing like mad. “Satoshi, did you have to run so fast? I’ve used up all my energy for the day...”

Satoshi clenched one fist. “Then I’ll have to carry you!” My face went bright red once again. Does he really mean that? I could tell by the look in his eyes, he was deadly serious about this. He wants to carry me, oh my goodness, what do I do? What do I do, what do I do, what do I do?

I suddenly gasped when I remembered something. “I left my stationary behind with that book!” Satoshi patted my head sympathetically. “I got a plan. We’ll steal notes off the others back at school.” He grabbed my hand and pulled me up to my feet. “Come on, let’s go!”

0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0

I stared at my results for the test. How could I fail this test? I stole all of my friends’ notes and learned them off by heart. I wrote down all of the answers perfectly and I felt like I’d done well. It turns out Satoshi failed. How could this be?

Hikari approached me. “Hey, have you seen my notes for the history test tomorrow? I can’t find them anywhere!”

I looked up at her and pulled out some notes from my pocket. “I borrowed notes from you for the science test, by the way. Here ya go!”

Hikari shot me a funny look. “Hey, those are my history notes!” she snatched them back instantly.

My eyes began to water as I came to the worst realisation possible. “I wrote down history test answers on a science test! What the hell? I don’t even take history as a subject so I can’t use what I learned for anything!”

“That... was brainy of you, Haruka...” Hikari muttered before suggesting, “Hey! I heard you were studying with Satoshi yesterday. You both have an English test tomorrow, so why don’t you study for that today?”

I stood up with a determined look in my eyes. “Alright! I will have another study date with Satoshi!” I ran off to find Satoshi. Five minutes later, I caught him hanging out with Shigeru, Shuu and Hiroshi. “Satoshi!”

Satoshi’s cheeks went pink at the sight of me. From the looks on Shigeru, Shuu and Hiroshi’s faces, I had a feeling that they’d been teasing Satoshi about me. Ah well, I will not let this ruin my plan! “Satoshi, we have to do another cram study. This time it’s for English. And I have a plan! And there’s good news too!”

The four boys stared at me with interest, leaning in closer. “Which is...?” Shuu asked.

“... We won’t have to tear apart library books.”

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Okay, it wasn't flat-out Advanceshipping, but there were definitely some shippy and random moments in there. Ya know, I don't care if this isn't my best work, cuz I had fun writing it. XD

If ya like this, try 'Except Me' (link in sig). It's Romance/Humour as well. Oh and read my Ikarishipping oneshot. Okay, I'm done with my randomness.

Please leave a review! Ya know ya wanna... ;]

Adios!

Shigeru stared at both of us with a look of disbelief. “So you cut a book that doesn’t belong to you in half for your own convenience?”

“...You’re both really dumb, aren’t ya?” Shigeru muttered, before walking off to leave Satoshi and I to study.

I suddenly swivelled around to face Satoshi, a sheer look of horror on my face. “We damaged library property!” Satoshi slapped his hand over my mouth, my cheeks blushing pink again.

Oh... that's just silly xDDD

Awesome one-shot Mel ^^ Very funny to read and cute =D Although it was ooc at some points such as Ash blushing at the sight of May

But in the end, still a nice read =D

I like this one-shot. it's funny and cute. there isn't much funny high skool stories like yours. nice work.

I sighed, before getting another idea. “We’ll tear the book in half, you memorize one half of the book and I’ll memorize the other then we’ll swap each other’s notes if we have time!”

“... Hey, yeah!” Satoshi suddenly understood what I meant and got out his scissors. He began to chop the book in half. He passed me one half and we walked over to the nearest desk, got out our notebooks and pen and started to study.

LOL! How can they be so .... to cut it into half.

LOL they only realise it now...

Hikari approached me. “Hey, have you seen my notes for the history test tomorrow? I can’t find them anywhere!”

I looked up at her and pulled out some notes from my pocket. “I borrowed notes from you for the science test, by the way. Here ya go!”

Hikari shot me a funny look. “Hey, those are my history notes!” she snatched them back instantly.

My eyes began to water as I came to the worst realisation possible. “I wrote down history test answers on a science test! What the hell? I don’t even take history as a subject so I can’t use what I learned for anything!”

This was so funny! Study history notes for a science test

Overall, it's a nice one-shot. It's so cute and funny.

ChloboShoka

Writer
A very nice oneshot, it is something that we can all pretty much relate to. I've also done tests without studying either.

Here are some of the quotes I laughed at.
My face cooling down, I blew a sigh of relief. Shigeru always teases everyone about being couples and stuff like that. Satoshi shot Shigeru a mischievious grin, asking, “How was your chat with Nozomi, huh? Was it all romantic and – Ow!” I smacked Satoshi’s shoulder and reminded him that Nozomi’s a lesbian. “Oh, right. I forgot...”

Shigeru rolled his eyes and answered, “Well, it was very... enlightening. Got some important notes to look over for that Chemistry test. And... talking to her made me feel lesbian. I only date girls now.” I laughed at this, even though it was a little sad on Nozomi.

A moment later, Satoshi and I were outside the library puffing like mad. “Satoshi, did you have to run so fast? I’ve used up all my energy for the day...”

Satoshi clenched one fist. “Then I’ll have to carry you!” My face went bright red once again. Does he really mean that? I could tell by the look in his eyes, he was deadly serious about this. He wants to carry me, oh my goodness, what do I do? What do I do, what do I do, what do I do?

I suddenly gasped when I remembered something. “I left my stationary behind with that book!” Satoshi patted my head sympathetically. “I got a plan. We’ll steal notes off the others back at school.” He grabbed my hand and pulled me up to my feet. “Come on, let’s go!”

Overall, it was a very nice and random one shot.

ChloboShoka

Writer
A very nice oneshot, it is something that we can all pretty much relate to. I've also done tests without studying either.

Here are some of the quotes I laughed at.

Overall, it was a very nice and random one shot.

zeaeevee

4eva AAMAYL Supporta
ah hahahaha haha. this was so funny. it may have been random and not very shippy, but it was really funny.
i think i felt my heart stop for a bit when they cut the library book.
either way... it was funny cool.

Gazmof

Zephyr Trainer
Great to have another Advanceshipper writing some great quality one-shots around here! ^^

Well, what can I say? This one really impressed me - your writing style is simply wonderful and I could picture everything just as if it were in an anime. You describe things excellently and most importantly of all you kept the right atmosphere the whole time. It had the perfect amount of laughs and nice, fluffiness between the two, which is great to see (and this is coming from a person who really doesn't like first-person fics usually).

Also, somewhat strangely, I usually lose focus when reading a fic that refers to the characters by their Japanese names (just out of habit, I guess), but this one didn't throw me too much (aside from Zoey, since I wasn't sure who Nozomi was at first ^^;; ).

I loled :D Ash and May were so goofy in this, which is actually just how I'd imagine them in a high school setting. Oh man, and you almost had me thinking Gary and Zoey were an item, too!

With an AU it's almost inevitable you'll have some slightly OOCness in your characters, so I think it's acceptable (after all, people adapt to their surroundings, right?). All in all I think you did a really great job! Looking forward to seeing more from you in the future! ^^

Chelc

I didn't see the link in your signature until now, so sorry I'm a bit late in reviewing. ^^;;

LOL at this. It reminded me kind of like, a special chapter of some sort to Except Me. I can totally imagine Satoshi and Haruka not studying for a test and freaking out about it. Their interactions were priceless, as well as their idea to split the book in half. XD I never imagined Shigeru and Nozomi to hang out, but now that I think about it, I can see them being friends. :p I loved the ending, too, lol. I loved this, it was adorable - great job! As always, I can't wait to see more fics from you!!

Mel-Girl

left. right.
OMG THANKS FOR THE REVIEWS, GUYS! Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaay!

Uzamaki Hinata - Yeah, they did end up a tad OOC but I suppose no one can really stay in character constantly in humour fics. Thanks for reviewing!

midnightmoon - Thanks. My other fics are set in high schools, just to let ya know.

kawaii-lurve - Haha, yeah I couldn't resist making Satoshi and Haruka really dense for this oneshot. Thanks for the review!

C.Gholy - I hardly study for tests eitehr! I'm really bad. I guess I'd be Haruka in this situation! XD Who would be my Satoshi...? Hmmm... XD Thanks for reviewing!

zeaeevee - Really? I thought the shippy level was just fine but I'm glad you found it funny. Random true story: I saw someone cut a page out of a library book and then later on, used it to revise for a test. They never got caught though... Thanks for the review!

Gazmof - Wow, one of my fave Advanceshipping authors reviewed. Yes! XD Wow, I always thought description was what I lacked. XD Yeah, I'm a user of POVs and Japanese names and I'm glad you could keep up with them. Thanks for your review!

Chelc - Haha, it's totally okay. I don't mind you being late. Moderators are very busy people, aren't they? OMG now you made me want to do a chapter special for Except Me in future. Yeah, I always pondered about how certain characters would get along too and Shigeru/Nozomi was one of them. Along with Haruka/Kengo which I've done and I still want to try Shuu/Nozomi and others... Thanks for reviewing!

And there, review replies. Please check out my other works!

SatoHaru02

SatoHaru 4 Eva!
Awesome one shot. I could picture everything . I didn't really find it shippy but i did find it VERY funy. Great story.

Last edited:

Hunter_RuLe

< Guess who's back?
Nice One-shot Mel, thanks (sorry for reviewing so late though) ^^

I wanted to read a ship-fic a high school theme for a long time and I could totally see May forgetting to study, especially in the beginning of the anime she was so clumsy in a cute way.

I really lol'd at this, classic =D Only Ash and May can mix up science and history ^-^