1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Streaming on a PC--how do?

Discussion in 'Technology Discussion' started by Blackjack Gabbiani, Jan 1, 2016.

1. Blackjack Gabbiani

Blackjack Gabbiani Clearly we're great!

I have an Acer that runs Windows 7 and I want to start doing livestreams of video games on it, specifically Sims 3. Are there any specific programs I should look at? What if I want to facecam and have a chat during it? Would that change anything?

2. Nutter t.KK

Nutter t.KK can Mega Evolve!

At the moment, I really can't offer much more than a Twitch TV Guide can, as I don't know what hardware you have or what your ISP speeds are like. LiveStreaming to Services like Twitch or YouTube Live, are more intensive than most video on demand systems. My old PC couldn't live stream beyond 360P while my ISP limits means Livestream above 480p are spotty at best.

Anyway, the cheapest Twitch streaming has to be OBS which is Free: https://obsproject.com/ It's got pretty much everything you could want for a live stream. It also can record a file for later which you can upload to your favourite site later. It's a little tricky to set up, but it's free and doesn't require certain hardware to use.

I've used Elgato's "Game Capture HD" to capture footage from Consoles with their Hardware, and NVIDIA's Geforce Experience Shadow play to do Pc games using my NVidia's GTX 650 Ti Graphics card. (My card is proberbly the oldest Model that supports Shadowplay.)

Before you ask, I did try my hand at Livestreaming.. I kept a recording here: https://youtu.be/L2m8EnHHci8 Sadly those Pokémon where on a game that died a a few weeks ago.

EDIT: Steam has a built in Streaming Service, but may not work with Sims 3 due for several reasons.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2016
  3. Hydrohs

Hydrohs 安らかに眠ります、岩田さん。 Staff Member Super Mod

OBS is going to be the easiest thing to setup for streaming with your configuration and would allow you to introduce a facecam feed as well. However recording on the computer that you're playing on is going to introduce a performance hit so keep that in mind.

4. Blackjack Gabbiani

I got a program called Xsplit Gamecaster and I've been using it to stream some Sims 3, but the feeds are all fuzzy and I can't follow a chat when I have it open.

5. Hydrohs

Any chat program is going to be part of whatever you're streaming to, you have to use a second computer to chat if you're going to run your game in fullscreen.

6. Blackjack Gabbiani

Aww man. I watch people like Nappy the Great and he seems to be able to have it on the same screen.

7. Hydrohs

All he's doing is using the same screen capture program to also capture the chat window, he can't see it himself if he's running a fullscreen game, unless he also has a second monitor.

8. Nutter t.KK

Most of the time, yes. Here a old guide on how to do it on OBS's official forums: https://obsproject.com/forum/threads/how-to-add-a-chat-overlay.6969/

I know that several PC Streamers do have multiple monitors and/or Multiple devices : For example this tweet Shows my personal setup: https://twitter.com/bignutter/status/648630647091765248 I'm replaying synced up footage from both my capture card and webcam. But in Short, If I was to stream a game, I'd have "Chat" on my Square Monitor, while putting the game on the wide-screen one. The Square Monitor is from an really old PC, which good enough to read text on.

Some starter Streamers can use their Phone/tablet to see the chat, in some cases even type in to it, as shown as possible setup in this tweet: https://twitter.com/bignutter/status/602241281507602434 (At the time of that was taken I was using a different PC, which couldn't cope with recording and doing anything else at the same time. I am still using the same Monitors.)

Here's a Youtuber/Twitch streamer, Gopher showing a (older) setup: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mlVJ2UUqwtM

9. Blackjack Gabbiani

10. Nutter t.KK

It's at 360p. Look at your settings on your the software you are streaming/recording with.

As I've said before, without knowing more information about your PC, your streaming or LP setup and your internet connection, I can suggest much.

Since You're playing Sims 3, you can get way with lower frame rate/FPS than other games.

It's like being asked for Movesets for a unknown Pokemon

11. Hydrohs

It's fuzzy because you're streaming at a low bitrate, so the video is being compressed. You need a good internet connection to stream at a higher bitrate.

12. Blackjack Gabbiani

I usually have a good one. Is there a way to...optimize that? I'm a REAL novice at all this.

13. Hydrohs

All of that is controlled with whatever program you're using to stream.

14. Nutter t.KK

Yes, there is.. but:

and in some cases your PC and internet connection affect what is being sent out.

I recommend visiting http://www.speedtest.net/ and running a test. This will give you your Max upload speed. This Upload speed is important as the higher it is, the better the quality video signal you can send out. This estimator will give you an idea on what you can get out a Stream: https://obsproject.com/estimator

Due to the fact I can't break 480P or SD resolutions due to the Net connection, I've chosen to not stream, but upload edited videos to Youtube.

15. Blackjack Gabbiani

How do I tell what kind of CPU I have?

16. Hydrohs

Press the Windows key + R to open the Run dialog box, then type in 'dxdiag' without quotes and hit enter, that will open your system information.

17. Blackjack Gabbiani

Ok, I have an Intel Core I3, and that's not listed on there.

18. Hydrohs

That's because it's an entry level processor, it's neither particularly good or bad for streaming. Really your hardware is significantly limiting what you can do, hear.

19. Nutter t.KK

The Estimator is slightly out of date and is to give an people an idea on what their system and internet can do. Depending as most recently built Gaming PCs are now almost capable to stream 1080HD with little overhead.

OK, It's a start, i3's are basicly the "budget" version of Intel CPU's of a Given Generation. If I had the series of Numbers behind it, I'd be able give you an estimate on what your CPU can do, as depending on the model it's really up to in the air on what it can do. In your case, Your processor may support Quick Sync, which may require some setup to get working. (Intel Quick Sync would make Video and stream encoding take less of a impact on the game.)

Also, Knowing what on your Graphic cards is helpful, as they support other functions such as Nvidia's NVEC and ShadowPlay, which makes Video and stream encoding take less of a impact on the game.

DX Diag should give you the model number of the CPU and Graphics card(s), as well stuff like Memory.

Finally, without knowing what your upload speed is, I can't suggest what setting at all to use.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2016
  20. Blackjack Gabbiani

Ok, it says that the numbers after my model are M 350 @ 2.27 GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.3GHz

That site says that my "ping" is 54 ms, my download speed is 3.24 Mbps, and my upload speed is .70 Mbps. Damn that sounds super slow! I would think my upload and download speeds would be the same...