• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Street Fighter 3 V IV

slash_n_dash

Dark Trainer
Please there must be someone out there that agrees with me when I say street fighter 3 is a far superior game to IV. To begin with the whole parrying system was removed with the release of IV which took a large portion of skill and excitement out of the game, not only that i think even the visuals/graphics are very tacky and untasteful in IV with many of the fighters looking a lot like they were on some sort of steroids. Really, I just don't understand what all the excitement was about SF:IV when it was released because it really was not an improvement of SF 3. If there is anyone out there that agrees that SF3 is far better game than IV, speak up.

(By the way i still play SF:3 Third Strike in arcades and it has to be the best 2d Fighter around xD )
- Peace.

Waldorf

ungrateful
Zero Nexus said:
Why the hell do you play it in arcades when there's a console version out?

Sounds like someone can't get into the spirit of fighting games.

Anyway, I can't say much because I haven't played Street Fighter IV extensively yet, just at a friend's place. I sort of agree with character design complaints, mostly because Street Fighter III (and its expansions) had some of the best characters the series has seen, and its gorgeously animated spritework really can't be topped, but that's more a thing of personal preference.

On a tangential note, I like how "The American" in fight games changed from an energetic, blonde young man (Terry Bogard, Galford Weller) to a morbidly obese dude (Rufus, Bob).

EDIT: Oh, and I'm guessing you meant for the title of this thread to be "Street Fighter 3 > IV"?

Last edited:

Korobooshi Kojiro

Funnnngaaaaa
I think he meant that part of the fun with fighting games comes from the thrill of throwing in quarters to beat down people at the local arcade.

Zero Nexus

Stand up, go for it
I think he meant that part of the fun with fighting games comes from the thrill of throwing in quarters to beat down people at the local arcade.

That's just stupid. Instead of paying more and more money to beat people in an arcade, just buy the console version so you don't have to put in another quid for a continue every time you die, and you can trounce noobs and your friends over Xbox Live.

Waldorf

ungrateful
Zero Nexus said:
That's just stupid. Instead of paying more and more money to beat people in an arcade, just buy the console version so you don't have to put in another quid for a continue every time you die, and you can trounce noobs and your friends over Xbox Live.

Not quite. Going to an arcade is a completely different experience than playing online, and it's much more exciting to compete with someone face-to-face rather than online where you have absolutely no idea of who they are or what they're like, and whether they're going to rage-quit on you. You have people who stick around to watch, cheer other players on, etc. And entire communities can form around arcades where people are recurring clients, come back, know each other from past matches, etc. And regarding the money issue, I'm not really sure whether paying with quarters or paying for a console (plus the online service in the 360's case) and your home copy of the game is more expensive.

It should be noted, though, that the type of arcade scene I'm describing is all but dead in the USA nowadays, but when it was good it was good.

Korobooshi Kojiro

Funnnngaaaaa
I didn't play Street Fighter, but when I was young me and my friends had a blast playing Atomic Funk, some weird Bomberman-esque game.

Remember pressing the refun button on all the machines looking for quarters? Such a fond memory.

Dragon Houou

ドラゴントレーナー
Not quite. Going to an arcade is a completely different experience than playing online, and it's much more exciting to compete with someone face-to-face rather than online where you have absolutely no idea of who they are or what they're like, and whether they're going to rage-quit on you. You have people who stick around to watch, cheer other players on, etc. And entire communities can form around arcades where people are recurring clients, come back, know each other from past matches, etc. And regarding the money issue, I'm not really sure whether paying with quarters or paying for a console (plus the online service in the 360's case) and your home copy of the game is more expensive.

It should be noted, though, that the type of arcade scene I'm describing is all but dead in the USA nowadays, but when it was good it was good.

Agreed. There is a big difference between playing at home and playing at an arcade, one in which you can take part in competitions with other players that share your interest. It is a good way to improve on your skills when you are playing with another player because that person could teach you many aspects on tactics, fighters, and in what ways they can be used to win matches more effectively. There are competitions/events (evo tournament(s)) almost every year dedicated to street fighter If I remember correctly but that's beside the point.

@Topic Creator: I think they are both equal yet I did enjoy the whole parrying system more on SF: 3rd strike which by the way is difficult to master. I am hoping with the newer super street fighter IV they improve some things in it. :p

slash_n_dash

Dark Trainer
Arcade for the win defiantly. The environment, crowd and atmosphere is major added bonus and something that is hard to come by if you don't have friends watching you whilst you play online. Just as Hiro-shura pointed out as well, it is far more exciting to play against an opponent that you can see and know is not going to rage-quit on you before you win a game.
On the finance side of things, generally I only use my spare change I have left over in my wallet or pockets, its not too expensive ($1 - 3 lives), and when playing competitively if you continue winning its your opponent who is forking out the cash, so basically your playing a heap of free games if your good.

@Hito-shura: Its a shame to hear the arcade scene has died in the US, I am from Australia and it is still relatively strong. We still hold tournaments and competitions in some arcades and get very big turn outs that prove to be a success and they get very competitive. (The winners are mostly always 40 year old chinese men who are hell pro at parrying :l .. not being stereotypical at all). Back to the game itself and your right the sprite work in sfIII is without a doubt better than IV.

@Dragon Houou: I hope the new sf will be better too, but i some what doubt it will be - and there defiantly will be no parrying system added in.