• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Strongest Gym leader in the anime so far

Jibanyan

Raihan was outright stated to be strong enough to be a Champion in other regions, we’ve never had gym leaders show to be or depicted to be on that level before+Him being among the Masters 8 in the first place which wouldn’t be as special if other Gym Leaders were as well
That's what I mean, it was stated, not shown yawn

Fernsday

That's what I mean, it was stated, not shown yawn
And narratively, he’s intended to be a Champion level trainer. Plus him putting up a good fight against the strongest trainer in the world shows that. Writer’s intention>>>

Locormus

Can we please get the older, old forum back?
And narratively, he’s intended to be a Champion level trainer. Plus him putting up a good fight against the strongest trainer in the world shows that. Writer’s intention>>>

I think you're seeing it the wrong way. Narratively speaking, Leon is the only one at champion level (of course Lance and others will be mentioned as such, but in this story Leon is ALL that matters) and Raihan is the stepping stone towards that level (Ash vs. Leon match would signify both Ash and Leon on the same level). So strictly speaking in terms of narrative structure and meaning - he is of a lower level.

before galar, I think Wulfric Is the strongest (and volkner).
Ash Greninja is a Strong Pokémon, even if you don't like it... And that battle was hard for the frog

I don't think trainers like Clair or Volkner have a lot of losses. Remember that in anime, there are many gyms per region. Ash always ranks at the top of every league, Which suggests that he is one of the few who can defeat this class of gym leaders.

Last edited:
But weren't the other 4 Orange Islands challenges also called Gym leaders? And not all of them involved battling, so they're not exactly your standard Gym Leaders.
Even so, I'd put Drake a bit above the average gym leader since his Dragonite is quite OP, but not much more.

I agree, specially about including Misty right after Raihan, Volkner, Claire and Wulfric. She should be on par with Korrina. And Brock's not a gym leader anymore, but his Mega Steelix is just as powerful as of SM too. I guess Bea would be before Korrina too, since she defeated her. But I'm not sure if she could defeat Mega Gyarados or Mega Steelix.
Bea defeat Korrina and her mega lucario, she would have no problems defeating M-Gyarados

Last edited:
Lets not forget that there is no Elite 4 in Galar.

The second strongest in Galar is Raihan. In another region, the second strongest trainer is in Elite 4.

As Gym leader, he will not be allowed to switch pokemon, giving clear disadvantage.

Lord Godwin

The Lord of Darkness
Lets not forget that there is no Elite 4 in Galar.

The second strongest in Galar is Raihan. In another region, the second strongest trainer is in Elite 4.

As Gym leader, he will not be allowed to switch pokemon, giving clear disadvantage.
I remember having such a discussion some time ago.

Whether we should treat Raihan, Piers, Melony/Gordie and Opal as Elite 4 level trainers.
This logic makes sense since there is a clear trainer ranking.

The problem is whether Milo can be treated as a 5th Gym Leader level fighter.

I guess he is stronger than all the minor League Trainers (8 in lore) which might make him a 5th Gym Leader level in any other Region.

LucasMV

Bea defeat Korrina and her mega lucario, she would have no problems defeating M-Gyarados

We don't know that though. Not every mega evolved pokemon, or trainer using it, are equally strong and skilled. Defeating Korrina's Mega Lucario doesn't mean Bea can defeat Misty's Mega Gyarados. The only measure we have is that Ash's Pikachu defeated both Mega Lucario and Mega Gyarados, but Pikachu didn't fight against Bea as of right now, so we can't compare them.

We don't know that though. Not every mega evolved pokemon, or trainer using it, are equally strong and skilled. Defeating Korrina's Mega Lucario doesn't mean Bea can defeat Misty's Mega Gyarados. The only measure we have is that Ash's Pikachu defeated both Mega Lucario and Mega Gyarados, but Pikachu didn't fight against Bea as of right now, so we can't compare them.
I would say that depend on the field. If it was on the water, Misty and Gyarados would win. Gyarados have better type advantage than Mega Gyarados against Fighting type...

AJ97

before galar, I think Wulfric Is the strongest (and volkner).
Ash Greninja is a Strong Pokémon, even if you don't like it... And that battle was hard for the frog

I don't think trainers like Clair or Volkner have a lot of losses. Remember that in anime, there are many gyms per region. Ash always ranks at the top of every league, Which suggests that he is one of the few who can defeat this class of gym leaders.

I honestly think Wulfric is hyped a little too much. I mean technically, we know for a fact that a much weaker Sawyer without a mega evolution defeated him(Granted Wulfric probably didn't use mega abomonsow against him). And one can assume that even Trevor and Tierno possibly defeated him.
Even after Abamasnow mega evolved, I wouldn't say Ash Greninja necessarily struggled.

As for Volkner, at least we know for a fact that he's a very powerful gym trainer who was giving out badges for free. So we can't think of weaker trainers who could've possibly defeated him for a badge. Plus, against Ash, Volkner didn't use his ace pokemon. Even without a regular pokemon, he forced Ash's Infernape into tapping into its OP Blaze which it needed to win.

I honestly think Wulfric is hyped a little too much. I mean technically, we know for a fact that a much weaker Sawyer without a mega evolution defeated him(Granted Wulfric probably didn't use mega abomonsow against him). And one can assume that even Trevor and Tierno possibly defeated him.
Even after Abamasnow mega evolved, I wouldn't say Ash Greninja necessarily struggled.

As for Volkner, at least we know for a fact that he's a very powerful gym trainer who was giving out badges for free. So we can't think of weaker trainers who could've possibly defeated him for a badge. Plus, against Ash, Volkner didn't use his ace pokemon. Even without a regular pokemon, he forced Ash's Infernape into tapping into its OP Blaze which it needed to win.
I think volkner may be stronger, but I have a correction

It is not certain that Wulfric lost to Tierno and Trevor
We only know that they have 8 Medals, that's all

AJ97

I think volkner may be stronger, but I have a correction

It is not certain that Wulfric lost to Tierno and Trevor
We only know that they have 8 Medals, that's all
I am aware of that which is why I said "One can assume" while I didn't say the same thing in the case of Sawyer.
That Said, I would argue Ash's Infernape is > Sawyers Sceptile (Before Mega Evolution).

And Infernape struggled against Luxray which isn't Volkner's strongest pokemon.

I am aware of that which is why I said "One can assume" while I didn't say the same thing in the case of Sawyer.
That Said, I would argue Ash's Infernape is > Sawyers Sceptile (Before Mega Evolution).

And Infernape struggled against Luxray which isn't Volkner's strongest pokemon.
for now everything is our imagination, hopefully we can have a battle vs volkner in ultraball tier