• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Strongest unspecial pokemon?

Aduro

Mt.BtlMaster
In pokemon, most of the best pokemon competitively have something odd going for them.

For example
Being megas, ultra beasts or legendaries. Or having stats comparable to legendaries
Having rare/unique hidden abilities and/or moves
Having to be obtained through a special event, or are very rare in-game.
Having some other special significance ie a starter pokemon

But which pokemon that are not really "special" have a great competitive impact even in the higher tiers and official formats?

For example Ferrothorn is OU and had great success in VGC. But it is easy to find, simple to evolve, has a normal ability. Its not even a pseudo legendary. Although it is unavailable in sun/moon and needs its egg moves.

Doppelgänger

Superancient Member
Ferrothorn has one of the statistically best defensive typings and an extreme stat spread to make good use of it. Those two features together make it special, so I wouldn't call it unremarkable.

Your criteria isn't easy to meet because almost every relevant competitive Pokemon has some special significance, that very quality is what makes them useful.
Without thinking too hard, I would say Nidoking/Nidoqueen would be good candidates.
Their typing is unique, but it doesn't have any particular synergy, except for a neutrality to Grass.
However, when combined with Sheer Force and the Nidos great special movepool, it gives them a resistance against most forms of status.

1. Immunity to poison
2. Resistance to paralysis (except via non-electric moves)
3. Burn doesn't matter to special attackers

Despite low BST for a third-stage evolution, they can outperform their stats due to their useful typing and movepool.

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
I'd say Incineroar until I saw you counted starters as special. Incineroar is ridiculous in doubles. Anyway, I've had fun with Charjabug in doubles together with some special attackers. With Eviolite and defensive investment it's bulkier than Toxapex (it survives Timid Mega Charizard Y's Heat Wave), it has speed control in both Electroweb (for when Taunted, breaking Disguises and Sashes, etc) and String Shot (for more severe control or slowing down Ground types), and boosts partners' offensive power by 30% with Battery. Run it next to stuff like Life Orb Tapu Lele and Lele can OHKO Mega Kangaskhan with Psychic. Also works great next to Heatran, Mega Gardevoir, Mega Blastoise, Xurkitree, Nidoking, Glaceon, just generally hard-hitting special attackers with a bit average speed tiers.

Last edited:

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
Contrary Shell Smash Shuckle is really strong.
I disagree. It can take hits, but it doesn't contribute much while doing so because it doesn't have any recovery (as in, where's the win condition?). It's essentially setup bait. Contrary Z-Power Trick Shuckle with Trick Room support on the other hand, in doubles, that's a potential monster. It needs some assistance to protect it from priority (like a Tsareena, which can also Charm Shuckle), but it can hit quite hard, especially if it manages to snatch an Intimidate boost or two.

Zhydra

Master of Chaos!
Durant... hits hard when he does hit. (Hustle!) Has the best defensive type combo out there. (Bug/Steel.) Is fast and has enough of a move pool to cover himself.

Gen 5 was good for bug types.

Aduro

Mt.BtlMaster
Durant... hits hard when he does hit. (Hustle!) Has the best defensive type combo out there. (Bug/Steel.) Is fast and has enough of a move pool to cover himself.
Its also got a really nice trick in battle facilities, since it can entrain truant to the opponent and the AI is too stupid to switch out, making it easy to set up a sweep.

XXD17

Draco rex
Gyarados. Magikarp is super common. It learns its best moves via level up or TM. Sure, Magikarp is weak, but you only need to train it up to level 20.

Clefable. Magic guard isn't hidden ability and it learns its best moves via level up or TM. Clefairy is sort of rare, but that's it. I guess if you count soft-boiled being locked to the gen 3 games then I guess that is "special" then.

Metagross. You get beldum for free in 3rd gen. it's not that rare. It' best moveset is learned or TM and it's still usable even not as a mega. Do you count pseudos as "special"?

Garchomp. Do you count pseudos as "special"? It doesn't really need rough skin to be great (unlike how dragonite needs multi scale) and all of its best moves are learned via TM or level up except for outrage. Gible isn't exactly rare either.

Excadrill. Very good coverage moves all learned via level or TM except iron head. Sand rush isn't a HA and was its best ability before the weather NERF although mold-breaker is a HA. Really common

Klefki. Not rare, learns its best moveset via TM or level up. Comes with its best ability. One of the best walls/ setup leads in sixth gen