• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Studio Ghibli Discussion

Steampunk

One Truth Prevails
For those of you who don't know, Studio Ghibli is a company that has made several anime movies(Spirited Away, Howl's Moving Castle, Grave of the Firefleis), and has contributed to a couple games(Ni-No-Kuni). Here is a wiki page on the company that includes a list of all of their works.

What Studio Ghibli movies do you enjoy? What do you think of their newest with the dub coming out soon: The Wind Rises?

Eternal Darkness

Eternal Evil
Only really seen Grave of the Fireflies and Spirited Away.

My Japanese teacher likes the films though, and thus I'm watching Kiki's Delivery Service in class now

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
I love Studio Ghibli. I may not have had a childhood with the movies (sort of), but I really enjoy their movies. I can only think of one, maybe two movies I didn't really like (Tales from Earthsea outside of great animation, and it's a tie between Grave of the Fireflies and Ponyo for me--Ponyo was cute, but I was kinda bored with it). Otherwise, I really like and enjoy them. I do have of yet to watch Only Yesterday, Pom Poko, and From Up on Poppy Hill, though, so I can't say I've seen all of them.

Last Ghibli film I've watched recently was Castle in the Sky. This is odd because I actually did watch this years ago when we rented it, but it was the dub that everyone complained about--except I didn't know this at the time. I also did not watch it all of the way because I would get bored and walk away for a while, so I only ever remembered the last half-hour. It's the twins' favorite Ghibli film, though, so they were both happy to know I got the movie for Christmas. I watched it over Christmas break, and I really enjoyed it. The ending song, "Carrying You", is really beautiful. I love it. (Too bad the song's not available to listen whenever I want because of copyright >_>. Also just found out the singer also contributed to My Neighbor Totoro, awesome.)

But my favorite Ghibli film is undoubtedly Spirited Away. Far as I know, it's not the first Ghibli film I've watched, but it's the one I remember falling in love with deeply. Like a lot of movies back in the day, we had rented it first (it was a VHS copy, if I remember correctly), and though Mom was weirded out by it, I thought it was amazing. Not too long afterwards, we rented and watched Princess Mononoke. (You know, for kids!) I believe the reason Mom and Dad rented it was because someone at church had seen it and recommended it, and it was just a joy to watch. Creepy, but awesome.

And I know some people rag on Kiki's Delivery Service dub, but I think it's a fine dub, Phil Hartman as Jiji was great and is my favorite part of the dub. I guess they were going for a Salem-esque performance since Sabrina, the Teenage Witch was popular, but they handled Jiji's dialogue and performance fine. I also don't mind the songs they've put into the dub, they're gentle songs. (I actually can't listen to the original song in the Japanese for some reason, and I've tried.)

Also, Mr. Miyazaki, I appreciate your work, I really do, but please make up your mind as to whether you're retiring or not. I think you deserve the retirement, you've made all of these wonderful movies, so now it's time to just go on. What, do you not have faith in your son to carry on the legacy? Still can't get over the failures of Tales from Earthsea or something? There are other people working there like Isao Takahata, and Hiroyuki Morita (since I do like The Cat Returns), and probably others who would be honored to direct a film.

SmartD

I've watched almost every Ghibli film except Only Yesterday and Ocean Waves. I don't know if they'll ever release those two because they're the only two Ghibli films I haven't seen yet. I'll probably watch The Wind Rises at some point.

Soaring Pikachu

Cool Trainer
Ki ki's delivery service forever! In a recent episode, the Simpsons did a long overdue Ghibli tribute. Although, I did not recognize one or two of the film references.

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
In a recent episode, the Simpsons did a long overdue Ghibli tribute. Although, I did not recognize one or two of the film references.

Yup, they did. They did the more well-known/popular Ghibli films, though. I was able to recognize Spirited Away (duh), My Neighbor Totoro (double duh), Kiki's Delivery Service, Howl's Moving Castle, Ponyo, and Princess Mononoke. There might've been one more reference in that minute-and-a-half segment, but that's what I saw.

Unfortunately, it might've been in vain since Miyazaki came out of retirement. But at least it's a rather timeless, homage segment in Simpsons, which is kinda rare, to be honest with you...

SmartD

Ki ki's delivery service forever! In a recent episode, the Simpsons did a long overdue Ghibli tribute. Although, I did not recognize one or two of the film references.

I've watched that episode, it's cool that they made references to Ghibli. I know some of voice actors from the Simpsons were in some of the Ghibli films.

Ruas

Was introduced to Studio Ghibli by the Princess Mononoke film. Then I've seen Spirited Away, Ponyo & Arrietty after that. Each one is a superb piece of work. The world's that he makes are so random, full of imagination & exciting. Didn't know that there were so many films of his waiting to be watched. By the way, I just realized that the Forest God Deer thing has so many similarities to Xerneas. Is this a coincidence, or do they have some relation?

The Admiral

the star of the masquerade

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."

I'm not surprised, he's talked about this sort of thing before, especially when it comes to his female heroines because of Rule 34. I'm inclined to believe him about his views of the anime industry, if only because I've noticed moe can get too out-of-hand, but that's really only a tiny part of the problem. But of course, at the same time, isn't anime and manga as a whole a form of escapist fiction? And in a way, Ghibli films are like that, too, in a sense of idealism without the moe.

But yeah, he's the one in the industry, not us, so he knows what goes on. We can all just say he's an old-timer and what-not, but he's the one with the experience. He's watched anime (or at least the industry anyway) change over the years, he sees what goes on in the younger generation. And it's possible older otaku have noticed this as well, I don't know, so... yeah.

Miyazaki should write about this sort of thing, in all honesty, if he hasn't already. It'd be interesting.

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
Was there even a problem with the industry? It put out constantly good stuff. It's not like it's buried in garbage or something.

His argument is more towards moe and fanservice than anything, from the looks of it. He's hated it before the style became mainstream.