• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Stupid, Funny, Interesting, Weird, Uncommon and Unobvious Pokemon Facts

Saturnidae

Bugs!! :3
I second that ^

All the Kalos elite four are named after plants. Siebold, quite fittingly, is named after a species of crabapple. In Japan only, the gym leaders are also named after plants.

Haxorus is most likely based off of a Psittacosaurus.

If you use stomp on a minimized pokemon, it does extra damage.

Aaron of the sinnoh elite four was once a gym leader.

Korrina is a PR video star.

Clemont invented super training.

dirkac

I smash your Boxes.
I second that ^

All the Kalos elite four are named after plants. Siebold, quite fittingly, is named after a species of crabapple. In Japan only, the gym leaders are also named after plants.

Haxorus is most likely based off of a Psittacosaurus.

If you use stomp on a minimized pokemon, it does extra damage.

Aaron of the sinnoh elite four was once a gym leader.

Korrina is a PR video star.

Clemont invented super training.

Regarding the Minimize Damage, the same happens with Steamroller.

Byron was originally supposed to be the Oreburgh Gym Leader, but passed the responsibility to Roark.

Siebold sometimes cooks for Valerie and Grant.

The Dawn Stone only Evolves Pokémon introduced in Gen III, with a specific Gender, and said Evolutions were both introduced in Gen IV.

Saturnidae

Bugs!! :3
Nincada evolves into Shedinja if there's an extra slot in your team and if you have a spare Poke Ball.

It's not a true evolution though. The nincada becomes a ninjask. Shedinja is a byproduct of that evolution.

dirkac

I smash your Boxes.
It's not a true evolution though. The nincada becomes a ninjask. Shedinja is a byproduct of that evolution.

Well, since Shedinja is the shed shell of that Nincada, technically that Ninjask is the same being as Shedinja, but split in two.
And because of it, it more or less still Evolves into it, but is more the result of an accidental byproduct :p

Dew Watatsumi

Water Type E-3
If an oshawott's scalchop gets broken it'll grow a new one..unknown about dewott and samirott

bidoofdude

Legendary Trainer
The "Gotta Catch 'em All' phrase returned, at least I think it didn't used to be there.
(www.pokemon.com/us)

rocky505

Elgyem and Beeheeyem can learn Steel Wing by TM in XY. Some say this is an error by GF because the two could learn TM51 in BW/B2W2 which was Ally Switch.

Chalis

Victorious
Magikarp learns bounce and Azurill is Normal and Fairy, not Water and Fairy.

dirkac

I smash your Boxes.
Magikarp learns bounce and Azurill is Normal and Fairy, not Water and Fairy.

Magikarp is based upon the legend of a fish bouncing/swimming up a waterfall and turning into a dragon.
It also learns Splash, which literally means Hop in JP.

FlareBlitz3000

Legg University QB
I did the math and figured this out. All the odd-numbered generations are when the most pokemon were introduced

1st: Generation 5(155 pokemon)
2nd: Generation 1(151 pokemon)
3rd: Generation 3(134 pokemon)

4th: Generation 4(106 pokemon)
5th: Generation 2(99 pokemon)
6th: Generation 6(68 pokemon)

tomatohater

Golden Sun 4?
I did the math and figured this out. All the odd-numbered generations are when the most pokemon were introduced

1st: Generation 5(155 pokemon)
2nd: Generation 1(151 pokemon)
3rd: Generation 3(134 pokemon)

4th: Generation 4(106 pokemon)
5th: Generation 2(99 pokemon)
6th: Generation 6(68 pokemon)

It still goes along with what you're saying, but it is believed that Gen 6 has 71 Pokémon, with the 3 'hidden' legendries...

Also, I thought Gen 2 introduced 100 Pokémon, but now I am starting to doubt myself XP

Anyways, it still agrees with what you're saying, and (hopefully) Gen 7 will introduce a lot more Pokémon than Gen 6 did!

Also, Shuckle is the Pokémon that can deliver the strongest attack possible in the game...

Last edited:

Snorlax Max

While Supplies Last!
The Pokemon that debuted in Pikachu's Vacation (Mr. Mime, Marill, Snubbull) were all retconned into fairy-types.

Shine

Psyched Up
Staff member
The density of water is 1000 kilograms per cubed,so Electorde can easily carry a weight of 2000 lbs on water.But, it can't learn surf.

......it's obvious why it can't learn Surf, how the heck it is supposed to move on the water? It has no arms or fins.

Kiruria

La Melancolie Noir
Just because something is intelligent doesn't automatically mean it can speak "human".

However, going by how Slowking, Lapras, and Mewtwo can, you have a point.

Indeed. Or, perhaps Alakazam and Metagross (the other super-intelligent Pokemon) consider themselves too intellectually advanced for human speech, that they consider human language primitive. Reminds me of this one character I played as in an RPG on these forums, where he had an Alakazam who thought just that. He even refused to communicate with his trainer via telepathy due to his sense of superiority to the trainer.

I agree with a lot of the Pokedex entries being ridiculous though... Besides the one about Magcargo's body heat, there's Larvitar having to eat a whole mountain before it can evolve, or Gardevoir having the ability to create miniature black holes. You have to wonder how the world and the humans living in it would survive if Pokemon really did have these characteristics...

Another random fun fact: The three butterfly Pokemon (Butterfree, Beautifly, and Vivillon) all appear about the same size, but Vivillon weighs about half as much as the other two.
(Butterfree: 3'07", 70.5 lbs)
(Beautifly: 3'03", 62.6 lbs)
(Vivillon: 3'11", 37.5 lbs)

And now for some fun breeding facts:

- All three Kanto starters can breed with each other. Same with the Unova starters.
- Zangoose and Seviper can breed with each other, even though they're bitter rivals.
- You probably know about the famous "Hot Skitty-on-Wailord Action" trope referencing the fact that Skitty and Wailord can breed. The trope should be "Hot Diglett-on-Wailord Action", because Diglett is even smaller than Skitty and can still breed with Wailord.

Last edited:

RedJirachi

Veteran member
Warning: Pokemon Breeding leaves to inevitable dirtyness

Breeding. From a technical perspective, I have no problem with it. From a biological perspective, it makes no Arceusdamn sense. Let's count the ways:
* Hot Skitty on Wailord action. I am baffled by the logistics of how incredibly disproportionate Pokemon are supposed to wait. Sometimes it makes sense: Bellsprout and Ferrothorn are plants, and thus breed through pollen. But there are a number of Pokemon who are based off beings who'd have to mate in a...closer manner. How does a massive elephant breed with bouncing pig? By Pokemon's logic, I could raid the zoo and breed elepuppies
* Many of these pairings suffer from the round hole square peg problem. Houndour and Arcanine may be different canines, but they're still canines. Ekans and Pangoro are from two different classes of animal. Omastar and Archeops are from two different phyla. Grass Pokemon can have Cacturne and Meganium breed, despite being from different kingdoms. One of the most egregious is Dwebble, since it can breed with the following: a ghost, a sentient moai statue, a giant presurrized rock, a sword, a trashbag and ICE CREAM. By this logic, I could breed crocofoxes
* Some of these pairings seem painful. None are more obvious in this regard than the Mineral and Amorphous groups: Trevenant, a walking ghost tree, should burn when it breeds with the lava snail that is Magcargo. A spiky metal conker should lacerate the dinosaur it knows for the purpose of getting Power Whip. The most toxic sludge in existence should kill the wind chime its coming on to
* Some Pokemon shouldn't or should even belong in their egg groups. Let's see:
** Avalugg, a walking, living iceberg isn't part of the Mineral Egg group
** The wrestler bird Hawlucha isn't part of the Flying egg group OR the Field Egg group
** The Tynamo line are fish, yet they aren't in the Amorphous Egg group. Um, why? You can have both ways
** GARDEVOIR

wobbanut

Team Awesome
I know one thing that annoys me about breeding is that at least for the first four generations of games the mineral group was so deficient of pokemon that can breed with each other that it was hard to do any decent breeding. It gets frustrating when you try to breed the geodude family with onix/steelix, sudowoodo, nosepass/probopass, or the snorunt family if none of them have decent movesets to pass on and the ones that do have decent moves are the wrong gender. At least they beefed up the number of breedable pokemon in the mineral group in gen 5.