• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Stupid Pokemon names

ParaChomp

be your own guru
>__< '

Good Lord! These are kids' games! It makes sense to give them a silly pun they'll get for the important human NPCs. Fitting to their personality? It's barely existent, why bother? Fitting to their role? Yes and that's all that matters.

Why are we going on about this?

Last edited:
No, it's just fine as a name.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ash_(name)

Primarily, though, it's short, easily remembered and marketed and also sounds vaguely like the middle syllable of Satoshi.

If Ash is a stupid name, then so are May, Dawn, N and Clay.

>__< '

Good Lord! These are kids' games! It makes sense to give them a silly pun they'll get for the important human NPCs. Fitting to their personality? It's barely existent, why bother? Fitting to their role? Yes and that's all that matters.

itt people taking a Rilla alt seriously

Ninfia-Fan

Helioptile. I liked the name Elekiteru better.
Also, Sylveon. Maybe because I heard it first (I don't know...), but I like Ninfia better.

Endolise

TengenToppaBoogaloo
Helioptile. I liked the name Elekiteru better.
Also, Sylveon. Maybe because I heard it first (I don't know...), but I like Ninfia better.

I don't know how people stand, let alone favor, the Engrish names. In Japanese, they sound natural, but hearing them crammed into English just makes my ears cringe.

Last edited:

KokoYoshi

Why not? A simple converse of an opinion leads to an intriguing articulation of anyone's dogmatic views.

Isn't there any names you wished you could change? Perhaps a little "venting out" could get some chuckles and the conversation spinning.

No one is holding you back if you think this thread is trivial.

cheshireusagi

Tory is my fav ♥
Today I was playing and I ran into an Electrike. I was like. Seriously, why is it called Electrike..? And what is it? It just seemed kind of silly in that moment.

And guys? Nosepass
just.
NOSE.PASS.
can we please just take a minute to really let that sink in?

Boldore is probably one of the most uninspired pokemon names ever.

And I agree with everyone about the DURRs. Its kinda obvious why they seem DURRpy.

Can someone explain to me what Beheeyem means?

B.. Beartic. Oh god. I cant even type that without laughing a bit. Its almost as silly as Heatmor.

Some of them really feel like names a 5th grader would make up. Maybe thats the point though.

BCVM22

Seriously, why is it called Electrike..?

Electric + strike, as the Japanese name comes from "bolt of lightning".

And what is it?

An electric wolf puppy...?

can we please just take a minute to really let that sink in?

It's been a decade. I think we've adjusted. What's the problem, exactly? Nose + compass, referring to the magnetic qualities of its nose.

Boldore is probably one of the most uninspired pokemon names ever.

Boulder + ore, referencing the gems that pock its body. Again the question as to what the problem is arises.

And I agree with everyone about the DURRs. Its kinda obvious why they seem DURRpy.

That... doesn't make sense.

Can someone explain to me what Beheeyem means?

Phonetic spelling of "BEM", short for "Bug-Eyed Monster", a science-fiction term for an alien creature. I would hope people don't hate this - it and Elgyem are among the most creative names in the bestiary.

Some of them really feel like names a 5th grader would make up. Maybe thats the point though.[/COLOR]

It seems more to me like a spot of research might have cleared up some unnecessary dislike and misunderstanding.

cheshireusagi

Tory is my fav ♥

are you kidding me right now? rofl.
I just don't like the names, plain and simple. No amount of your "research" is gonna make me change my mind, sorry dude.
I realize you are trying to be smart, but sorry, it isn't necessary. : P

Elnava

The Successor!
There are always certain names that you look back on and think "this would have been stupid if I had noticed it back then" like Dewgong and Seel

SlowPokeBroKing

Future Gym Leader
are you kidding me right now? rofl.
I just don't like the names, plain and simple. No amount of your "research" is gonna make me change my mind, sorry dude.
I realize you are trying to be smart, but sorry, it isn't necessary. : P

Considering you asked a lot of questions, I can see why he said all the things he said, being answers to your questions. He also responded to your opinions by helping you understand that there is more to a name than just what it seemed like you thought.

Basically, don't ask questions if you don't want answers. There really isn't a such thing as a rhetorical question (if that's even what you were going for) in a thread like this because someone will always be here to answer any question that arises.