• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Stupid Pokemon names

Rayze Darr

Snubbull Supporter
How am I the first person to mention Purugly? Seriously, how?

Granted, I guess the name does fit the Pokemon.

I've never liked Zoroark's name. It's just plain awkward to say. Heck, when it first got announced, I was almost positive they'd translate it to "Zoloark," which sounds so much cooler and rolls off the tongue easier, imo.

BCVM22

Why would they translate it to Zolo- when it's from "zorro", which actually means "fox" in Spanish?

Rayze Darr

Snubbull Supporter
Why would they translate it to Zolo- when it's from "zorro", which actually means "fox" in Spanish?

Mainly because I was unaware of this. There are plenty of names in Japanese that wouldn't make sense being directly transferred to English. I was going by the same logic that Lucario went by, being translated from Rucario.

And it doesn't change the fact that "Zoroark" is incredibly awkward to say and should never have been directly translated in the first place, imo.

BCVM22

It's not at all awkward to say. I don't know what linguistic gymnastics you're going through in order to say it.

Rayze Darr

Snubbull Supporter
It's not at all awkward to say. I don't know what linguistic gymnastics you're going through in order to say it.

It may well just be my accent, but with two "r"s that close together, separated only by vowels that are both part of separate syllables, saying the name at anything resembling a normal speed comes out as "Zor-or-ork." A softer "l" instead of the first harsh "r" alleviates this problem. Even then, though, the separate-syllable "o" and "a" add in an imaginary "w," making it come out as "Zo-lo-wark." Again, though, this may just be my accent. I've never liked the name, and as I've admitted, this is simply a matter of opinion, and I respect your disagreement with it.

I also don't like Patrat's name. This one I just think sounds stupid. I'd also like to point out that a name making sense doesn't make it good, a-la the aforementioned Regigigas and Jynx. I have nothing against the names, but I'm positive that the fact that they have meaning behind them doesn't change their stupidity to those who find them unappealing.

TheFonz

Pokemon Semi-Master
I kinda agree that there could have been a better choice for a name than Patrat. I get its species look around, search, etc and its patrol+rat...but it doesn't feel natural to read and say it to me. I like Watchog though, it's a nice fit.

I like Regice. "Redge ice" rolls off my tongue easier than "Regi-ice", but I think "Regi-ice" sounds better. Are there two offical pronunciations for it or is "Regi-ice" considered an error?

*Edit*
Out of curiosity, I looked up synonyms for look. Leer and peek stuck out to me. How would everyone feel about Patrat being Peekrat? Leerkat would be a nice pun of meerkat too

Last edited:

Rayze Darr

Snubbull Supporter
I kinda agree that there could have been a better choice for a name than Patrat. I get its species look around, search, etc and its patrol+rat...but it doesn't feel natural to read and say it to me. I like Watchog though, it's a nice fit.

I like Regice. "Redge ice" rolls off my tongue easier than "Regi-ice", but I think "Regi-ice" sounds better. Are there two offical pronunciations for it or is "Regi-ice" considered an error?

As far as I'm aware, "Regi-Ice" is the only official pronunciation. I agree that they could've done a lot better showing that in its name.

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
I absolutely hate the name "Regigigas".

I have no problem with it; what I dislike are people who call it "Regimoss" or go overboard by calling it "Regigigigigigas." The official name isn't hard to spell imo. :p

Jynx. I mean, what the hell is that name ?

It's so ratchet in my opinion. But some Generation 5 names like "Throh" and "Sawk" are worse. Sometimes I wake up in the middle of the night screaming because of how terrible those names are. I appreciate puns as much as the next person, but those names make me retch and cringe.

Endolise

TengenToppaBoogaloo
I also don't like Patrat's name.

My only issue with Patrat's name was that, for the longest time, I wasn't sure if it was pronounced as "pat-rat" (similar to "pet rat") or "pa-trat" (similar to "patrol," which makes sense considering that patrolling is what Patrat do).

Klink, Klang, Klinkklang..... I dont even.

Well what sounds do gears make? Better yet, what would you have named them? Their naming scheme illustrates how multiple gears come together to form an interconnected system.

Excitable Boy

is a metaphor
My only issue with Patrat's name was that, for the longest time, I wasn't sure if it was pronounced as "pat-rat" (similar to "pet rat") or "pa-trat" (similar to "patrol," which makes sense considering that patrolling is what Patrat do).

I pronounce both Patrat and Watchog with emphasis on the second syllable.

Because ambiguity.

Elnava

The Successor!
Now you are just being silly saying that the person should be fired, just because you don't like the name Unfezant. Beside Unfezant name suits its well.

I'm obviously kidding. I don't actually want anyone fired.

Unfezant sounds so stupid

Cosmic Fury

Evil Overlord
Politoed. <-- Alright, so that's a rather lame name, especially with the way it's spelled. Just that reminds me of that game that once came out that boldly declared to the world "All your base are belong to us."

There are others like it, but you get my point. :p