• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Stupid Pokemon names

KokoYoshi

I really hated Sawk and Throh. Maybe it is because I hated them or something.

You can Sawk it, or Throh yourself off a bridge. Your choice.

Joking aside, I think mocking these names is the only way I can tolerate them if I may say.

Like Vanillite for instance. What would call a brown or pink one? Chocolite? Strawberlite?

Zorupix

Master of Illusions
Klink, or more specifically the japanese name, Gear, the Gear Pokemon. Seriously? I know there are times that it might be difficult to think up of an original name after hundreds of Pokemon, but Gear, the gear Pokemon? Those guys weren't even trying to be original with that one, in design or in name.

Akaiclone02

Nuzlocker
I'm sure this has been said a dozen times already in this thread but here go's
sawk and throw ....really? this is the best they could come up with?
i love the pokemon dont get me wrong but the names feel so "phoned in" it makes the pokemon feel cheepened.
and then theres seal. how lazy can you be? thats like calling a dewgong looking pokemon dewgong... oh wait THEY DID (slams head on desk repeatidly)

Zephraxe

I never really understood why they named it Kangaskhan. It's like they couldn't think of a name and named it after Genghis Khan.
Porygon. Polygon. 'Nuff said.
Durant. There's a county in the state I live in called Durant County. How original.

Don't get me wrong. These Pokemon are cool and I never had a problem with their names, but why'd they choose those names?

Endolise

TengenToppaBoogaloo
Klink, or more specifically the japanese name, Gear, the Gear Pokemon. Seriously? I know there are times that it might be difficult to think up of an original name after hundreds of Pokemon, but Gear, the gear Pokemon? Those guys weren't even trying to be original with that one, in design or in name.

Gear is an English word, so to Japanese players, "Giaru" sounds exotic and punny.

I'm sure this has been said a dozen times already in this thread but here go's
sawk and throw ....really? this is the best they could come up with?

As has been explained, Sawk and Throh have significant meaning. Sawk uses karate, and its name comes from "sock" (which is slang for hitting something), whereas Throh uses judo, and its name comes from "throw" (which are common in judo techniques). They are simple names, but a) simple is not always bad, and b) being able to imbue meaning into such small names is not an example of laziness or a lack of creativity/originality. Frankly, I'd like to see you (or anyone else who derides names like those for being "lazy") do better.

Last edited:

Elnava

The Successor!
Klink, Klang and Klinklang

I don't really hate these names, I just feel that their Japanese names could have worked just as well if not better like Wargle to Braviary, though now I really do like the name Braviary. That and there's names are just straight up onomonopia

Dragalge

"Orange" Magical Girl
I never really understood why they named it Kangaskhan. It's like they couldn't think of a name and named it after Genghis Khan.
Porygon. Polygon. 'Nuff said.
Durant. There's a county in the state I live in called Durant County. How original.

Don't get me wrong. These Pokemon are cool and I never had a problem with their names, but why'd they choose those names?

So? There is probably street names such as Volbeat Bvld or Heatmor street somewhere what difference does it make?

Elnava

The Successor!
Pretty sure Durant is Durable + Ant and has nothing to do with any state county

They named it after Genghis Khan because they both have something in common: they're badass

Last edited:

Akaiclone02

Nuzlocker
As has been explained, Sawk and Throh have significant meaning. Sawk uses karate, and its name comes from "sock" (which is slang for hitting something), whereas Throh uses judo, and its name comes from "throw" (which are common in judo techniques). They are simple names, but a) simple is not always bad, and b) being able to imbue meaning into such small names is not an example of laziness or a lack of creativity/originality. Frankly, I'd like to see you (or anyone else who derides names like those for being "lazy") do better.

it delights me to see a fan defend the name of a pokemon so fervently. it shows you really love the game. Also i love a good debate.
admittidly i doubt i could come up with a better name for them what i mean to say is with the history they have of makeing awesome names with subtle twists like articUNO zapDOS and molTRES, or dEINo ZWAIlus and hiDRIgen, they could have done a better job.
like maybe calling them ICHIgu and NIImi

BCVM22

like maybe calling them ICHIgu and NIImi

But Sawk and Throh have absolutely nothing to do with "one" and "two". The birds were actually a distinct trio (and the names weren't that subtle - most people can spot and understand "uno, dos, tres") and Hydreigon actually goes from one to two to three heads.

psychonerderer

kangaskhan = gengis kahn + kangaroo. y'know, cause of the pouch?

Akaiclone02

Nuzlocker
But Sawk and Throh have absolutely nothing to do with "one" and "two". The birds were actually a distinct trio (and the names weren't that subtle - most people can spot and understand "uno, dos, tres") and Hydreigon actually goes from one to two to three heads.

they may not have anything directly involveing numbers in them but they look very much alike only one looks to weigh a bit more then the other and they each have a "chisled out of stone" look about them so it would be very easy to associate the two as a signifcant pair and therefor justify the assimilitive nameing

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
Makes more sense if you gave them names (and pardon if these are horrible) like "Stouter and Slimmer" or "Redfoe and Bluefiend".

Those were horrible, but the point remains, you have to come up with names that conspicuously go with the Pokemon. You can't just tie it to loose logic.

Firebrand

Indomitable
Klink, Klang and Klinklang

I don't really hate these names, I just feel that their Japanese names could have worked just as well if not better like Wargle to Braviary, though now I really do like the name Braviary. That and there's names are just straight up onomonopia

I never understood the problem people had with Braviary's name. Wargle sounds incredibly dumb to me, whereas Braviary sounds really cool. And Braviary is a cool pokemon, it ought to have a name that sounds it. Seriously, say Wargle out loud.

Endolise

TengenToppaBoogaloo
I never understood the problem people had with Braviary's name. Wargle sounds incredibly dumb to me, whereas Braviary sounds really cool. And Braviary is a cool pokemon, it ought to have a name that sounds it. Seriously, say Wargle out loud.

It sounds like "gargle." Braviary sounds much better.