• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Stupid rumours you believed about Pokémon games

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
Many of us, when we first played Pokémon, started when we were little kids, so of course we would believe any silly rumour that floated around. Some (in)famous ones were:

• Mew being under the truck at the pier where the S.S. Anne docks.
    (Of course, in FR/LG, there was just a plain old Lava Cookie hiding under there, so GF trolled us. :p)
  • The S.S. Anne would come back after a year in real time.
  • Defeating the Elite Four 365 times would make the S.S. Anne return.
  • You could fight Professor Oak after becoming Champion (this was true, at least in the beta, I think).
  • Defeating Brock and Misty at their Gyms would make them follow you, a la the anime.
  • The mysterious white rock near Mossdeep Space Centre hid Jirachi.
  • You could fly into space after the rocket at Mossdeep reached 100 successful launches (again, this is half true in OR/AS, where you fly on Rayquaza into space to fight Deoxys).
  • Marill was Pikablu in disguise.
  • You could catch Togepi and Marill in Red/Blue/Yellow by doing some really long and tedious task (like defeating the Elite 4 a ridiculous number of times or something).
  • Bill had a secret garden at the back of his cottage where you could catch rare Pokémon, and maybe even some of the so-called "PokéGods".
I didn’t usually believe any of these rumours as I saw through them, but I did get tripped up a few times by thinking you could trade between Gen 3 and Gen 2, and you could trade Gen 2 Pokémon back to Gen 1. Whenever a new generation comes out, there’s always a few ‘leaks’ that I sometimes fall for, like believing Litten would be Fire/Dark (which did come true, but with Incineroar) and thinking Popplio would turn into some Darth Vader seal thing based on that one CoroCoro ‘leak’. XD

Did you believe any rumours about the Pokémon games when you were a kid, or were you wise enough to see them for what they were - just rumours?

Last edited:

Cometstarlight

What do I do now?
The Anne returning after a year was something my sister was certain of when we were kids. The Misty and Brock following you also puzzled us as why they wouldn't do it.

I think the stupidest "original" rumor was that I thought if I made a really really good pokeblock in R/S/E and put it in the furthest part of the Safari Zone that a powerful/legendary Pokemon would show itself.

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
Yup, the Mew truck, the S.S. Anne returning, and the Mossdeep City white rock were ones I believed. I also believed in the Pikablu myth (for Pete's sake, everyone thought Marill was Pikablu when it was first revealed in the TV Guide), Bill's secret garden, that you'd get a Mew by leaving a Magikarp at the Daycare for a year, and I also believed in this random playground rumor about Mewtwo and Mew being aliens you'd run into around Victory Road lmao. Although I also remember some kid saying you could kill Mewtwo by pulling that cord out of his neck because none of us really knew what it was for, but it was quite something lol.

Then I had a friend in middle school telling me that Crystal had a secret boss battle after you collected all the Unown in which the Ruins of Alph would collapse and you'd fight Ancient Mew. Years earlier, though, some kid from my elementary school said the Unown were basically subservient to a larger eyeball with tentacles, but I don't remember what name he gave it.

Good times.

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
My sister tried to convince me the first 2 were a thing when I was little. I have never heard the other ones before now though, but it would have been kinda cool to fight Prof Oak after becoming Champion and completing the Pokédex or something.

I think the battle with Professor Kukui at the end of Sun/Moon is a nice callback to that Professor Oak rumour. Also you fight Professor Sycamore in X/Y, kind of, with the Kanto starters.

I think the stupidest "original" rumor was that I thought if I made a really really good pokeblock in R/S/E and put it in the furthest part of the Safari Zone that a powerful/legendary Pokemon would show itself.

This was only in the originals, not OR/AS? I don’t think you can do that (putting out PokéBlocks in the Safari Zone) in the remakes.

Cometstarlight

What do I do now?
This was only in the originals, not OR/AS? I don’t think you can do that (putting out PokéBlocks in the Safari Zone) in the remakes.

When I say "original" rumor, I meant one that I hadn't heard circulated all over the Internet, but yeah, pokeblocks could only be placed in R/S/E. OR/AS effectively threw out the old safari zone in favor of whatever it was they did.

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
When I say "original" rumor, I meant one that I hadn't heard circulated all over the Internet, but yeah, pokeblocks could only be placed in R/S/E. OR/AS effectively threw out the old safari zone in favor of whatever it was they did.

In R/S/E you could only make PokéBlocks at those berry blenders in Pokémon Centres and Contest Halls, but in OR/AS they changed it so you can make blocks anywhere. OR/AS still has the Safari Zone, but it’s now a free-roam area (you used to only be able to take a certain number of steps before time ran out), and you catch Pokémon in the normal fashion.

RedJirachi

Veteran member
In Gen III, many a rumor on how to get Celebi

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
In Gen III, many a rumor on how to get Celebi

What was the rumour? Was it a “get this Pokémon to level 100 and go to this place” kind of thing?

The Misty and Brock following you also puzzled us as why they wouldn't do it.

Yeah, especially since Yellow (and to some extent Let’s Go, which are remakes of Yellow) are inspired by the anime. At least Jessie, James and Meowth appear and they stalk you everywhere, just like they do with Ash in the show, but they don’t try to steal your Pikachu. :p

Requiem Aeternam

Dance like an eggplant!
Holding down A and B would increase the chances of catching a Pokémon. I believed that for years. Even though I now know it doesn’t make any difference, I still do it out of habit.

RedJirachi

Veteran member
I did, and still do the up b out of habit

Gamzee Makara

Flirtin' With Disaster
That button input influenced Metronome.

I just had incredible luck with my Metronome Magmar in Gen I, and pulled Surf on Blaine 3 times.

Oh there were a ton I believed when I was a kid. The Mew under the truck one, beat the league 8 times in a row without going to a pokecenter in between and you get to play as Misty, 100 launches at the Mossdeep center and you could ride the rocket to Jirachi, etc.

Also, press A and Up when you throw a pokeball just when it opens untill it closes and you'll improve the catch rate. I actually still find myself doing this out of habit even though I know it doesn't do anything.

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
That button input influenced Metronome.

I just had incredible luck with my Metronome Magmar in Gen I, and pulled Surf on Blaine 3 times.

So you went in like Ash. XD

When Black/White were about to come out, I thought Alomomola (is that how you spell it?) was the evolution of Luvdisc, and Bouffalant was the evolution of Tauros. I think that’d go more under “Stupid things I believed about Pokémon as a kid” rather than an actual rumour, however.

Last edited:

Xuxuba

I was never one to believe much in rumours tbh.

As a kid, the only people i would believe almost unconditionally were my parents or adults that i was really close to, so it was really hard for anyone else to convince me of something.

I guess there were some videos of people finding legendaries in places that they shouldn't be that i would go "is this true?" for a second before realizing it was bs, but, aside from that, i can't think of anything else.

Last edited:

gwen-watson

A Marvel Baby
When I was nine, one of my friends told me about Glitchlett and how it was a powerful Pokemon but if it fainted in battle, it would erase the game and make it forever unplayable. He said you could find it in Diglett's Cave. I never went because I was a chicken and didn't wanna lose my Pokemon Yellow.

I was a stupid kid XD