• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Stupid things in Pokemon

Missingno. Master

Poison-type Trainer
Completely agree with this. I see no reason why HM moves have to be permanent anyway. =/

Leader Blaine sent out Arcanine!
Blastoise used Surf!
A critical hit!
It's super effective
The foe's Arcanine fainted!
Blastoise gained nobodycareshowmuchthisisanexample Exp. Points!
Blastoise grew to level 55!
Blastoise is trying to learn Skull Bash!
But Blastoise can't know more than four moves!
Delete a move to make room for Skull Bash?
*presses yes, not actually paying attention; selects Surf*
One, two, and... Poof!
Blastoise forgot Surf!
And...
Blastoise learned Skull Bash!
Player: Oh, crap! I had to trade Blastoise to my friend to teach it Surf because I hate the Safari Zone and now he moved to *insert foreign country here* and Blastoise was my only Pokemon with Surf and I didn't catch a Fly slave yet and I'm on Cinnabar Island!

Also prevents your Pokemon from, say, forgetting Surf while said move is being used on the water.

CliveKoopa

Also prevents your Pokemon from, say, forgetting Surf while said move is being used on the water.

That would be weird and scary at the same time if you were able to do that. The game would probably most likely freeze and glitch if you made your pokemon forget Surf while on water.

just mew

the most stupid things for me are:
-when you are surfing with a pokemon, you are still able to use it in battle (-_-)
-again, when you are surfing, then for any reason you decide to fly, you left the pokemon you use for surfing (-______-)
-every trainer only use regular pokeball (-__________-)
-even if you have no pokeball, if you happen to hatch an egg, somehow it is contained in a pokeball (-___________________-)

Willzyx

Player: Oh, crap! I had to trade Blastoise to my friend to teach it Surf because I hate the Safari Zone and now he moved to *insert foreign country here* and Blastoise was my only Pokemon with Surf and I didn't catch a Fly slave yet and I'm on Cinnabar Island!

I don't know if being "stuck" without an HM is really a problem--HMs never disappear and if you are in a situation where you need to use it, you can just relearn. Easy-peas.

Forgetting Surf while over water can easily be prevented by a couple lines of code. Try to overwrite Surf while you're surfing? The game can just tell you "Sorry, you can't do that right now!"

Making HMs unforgettable without an NPC is a bad move, but even worse is the dependency on field moves in the first place. I know Game Freak wants the pokemon to be the star of the game, but it would be far more convenient to have items that do most of these things instead. Except for the rare case where the HM is actually useful in-battle (Surf, sometimes Fly) it's a waste of a move slot and carrying around only 4 or 5 useful pokemon and trash pokes for HM slaves is a massive inconvenience.

This was especially annoying in HGSS where you either had to teach Rock Climb to one of your "good" pokemon or fight Red with a team of just 5.

EonMon

Novice Metagamer
How about the fact that you have to teach surf at all? Your character is 10/16 years old, why can't they just swim? Also, being able to:
a. use moves like dig in battle while surfing.
b. using fire, rock, etc. types while surfing.
c. Using dive on land or indoors. Dig also applies for the indoor thing.
Finally, how about when a text box says "................................." what, was that supposed to be the player's response? Sure it's a good idea, but I think something like a delayed response after pressing the button would be better.

maelstrom5292

Pokemon Collector
Finally, how about when a text box says "................................." what, was that supposed to be the player's response? Sure it's a good idea, but I think something like a delayed response after pressing the button would be better.

I'm pretty sure that's supposed to be a pause where nobody says anything, like an awkward pause or something. I still don't like them though, especially when you have to skip a bunch of them, then the conversation ends but you accidentally press the button once too many times, and you have to go through it all over again! That gets aggravating.

Meowth City

Staff member
Yeah, exactly. You would end up drowning to death if that was possible XD

Striker X

Certified dumb user
"Brendan! There is a time and place for everything, BUT NOT NOW"

I want to swear at professor Oak so much. :( He should be a ventriloquist though, ever try using a bike in front of him?

^This.

"Hmm, I'll ride my bike in this random house.

Red! There's a time and place for everything! But not now.

Oak: (in his lab) I've planted this chip in his brain. Whenever he tries to do that I'll scream through this microphone so he won't do it.

"Ah, who cares about that. I'm gonna do it anyway."

red! There's a time and place for everything. But not now.

Ivanka

Freeeeeeeeee
The surfing point that just mew made is actually really interesting. I never really thought of that one. Surely if you're surfing on a Pokemon, it wouldn't be able to battle, so you could only use your other Pokemon. Unless there were lots of mini Islands everywhere where you could stop at for a while. But that's not normally the case. D;

Why does Scizor learn Bullet Punch. Its pincers could effectively be used as fists.
Why does Milotic learn Attract through level-up. First of all, there are these really neat things called question marks. And this one is obvious. Milotic is supposed to be the most beautiful Pokemon.
Why is Altaria Dragon/Flying. USE QUESTION MARKS. Anyway, it has to do with some Chinese legends that I can't remember atm.

Answers in bold.

Bulletproof

Self explanatory.
Why does Scizor learn Bullet Punch.
Probably just for STAB & technician, though I can see it being able to use its pincers.
Why does Milotic learn Attract through level-up.
Why not? Its a beautiful Pokemon.
Why is Altaria Dragon/Flying.
I think it has something to do with the big blue bird(dragon) of happiness, Peng.
Italics/Bold.

Ivanka

Freeeeeeeeee
Any Tree you cut down, or boulder you smash appears again as soon as you leave the area. Sort of stupid seeing as Trees take years to grow and boulders.. well... =/

When you cut down the trees, they come back when you revisit the place where you cut them. WTF?
You were ninja'd.
Any Tree you cut down, or boulder you smash appears again as soon as you leave the area. Sort of stupid seeing as Trees take years to grow and boulders.. well... =/

Gary Oak follows you around and places trees and boulders in your wake once you leave each area..

GARY MOTHER****IN OAK!

Anyway, how can you Dig on water?

Mevejuma

GARY MOTHER****IN OAK!

Anyway, how can you Dig on water?

This answers your question. It doesn't really, but it's a humorous related image. I honestly don't know, the only reasonable explanation I can think of is that they swim down and dig under the ocean bed XD at least if you're near the shore, dig can sort of make sense because it's not far to the bottom.

Female Machops/Machokes/Machamps... c'mon, they are based on a man!
They should have made a female version for then in the IV gen...

Kanna

How you can't rebattle N after you beat him at the elite 4 and how black/white has no vs. seeker or whatever! >_<

agreed. It makes it more difficult to re-play when theres no one to battle. except online and elite four. *waits for rumble blast*