• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Stupid things that you thought/did with pokemon as a kid

Joshblue02

I thought that when Cynthia came to my villa in Platinum, she wanted a date, but things got awkward when Prof. Rowan came and that Haetran was an evolution of Magcargo (Don't ask how I even thought that was true)

Sohryu

Be a Man!
MultiDarkShadow777 said:
I also trained my Machoke all the way to level 100 thinking it would evolve without knowing that it would only evolve by trade.

Same here, dear! My Haunter was ready to hit astronomically high LVs if I didn't noticed he wouldn't evolve by LV, in Yellow.

Estellise

peachy
For the longest time, I had no idea what a shiny was... :/ So I'd kill shinies not knowing about how rare they were. It wasn't until SS that I found out that shinies were rare and whatnot.

Mi-tan

I used to think the name "Delibird" had something to do with delis and meat. It took me until...maybe three days ago when playing X to realize that it's a pun on "delivered". *facepalm*

As a kid, in one of my Silver playthroughs, I was battling Lance and my Croconaw was the only Pokemon left in my team. I had a Revive and thought I could use it after Croconaw fainted...and then it fainted and I lost the match. I remember being quite annoyed and complaining to my mom about it. xD

tomatohater

Golden Sun 4?
I used to think that: Slowbro-Slowking

A very cute, but unusual thing I used to think was that:

Absol was actually called 'Absolmphyst', and it involves a pretty interesting story. One day, whilst playing Red Rescue Team (How I got that was another interesting story that I'll post after this), I encountered an Absol for the first time. I did have R/S/E, but I hadn't found one yet. I killed it, and was amazed that it wanted to join my team! I said yes, and when it came to the nickname screen, I must have just mashed a load of letters to make 'Absolmphyst' unknowingly. A few days later on Sapphire, I actually found an Absol, but was dumbfounded as to why it had a different name. I eventually concluded that the game probably couldn't fit in 'Absolmphyst', and I believed that was Absols' true name for years. Looking back, I still think it is pretty cute, and I still have 'Absolmphyst' on Red Rescue Team to this day!

Now for the Red Rescue Team incident. I was one day playing Emerald, training my Pokemon outside the Day Care. Then I went into a battle (Presumably with an Oddish or Roselia) and got Poisoned. As most of you will know, on the GBA games, Poison makes your screen 'shake'. I thought that my game was screwed up, and I got so scared that it was going to explode or something, I returned it to Argos. I wanted another copy of the game, but they were sold out. I was confronted with 2 choices, either my money back or Red Rescue Team. If you read the above section, you'll know what I chose!

If you actually read all that, I am sorry!

ThePoonFlipper

Back when I was still playing R/B, I actually thought that a poke's level defined it's age. So I would never train a pokemon to a level above, say, 70, because I didn't want my pokemon to turn old.

IceManC86

Man of the Paradox
*cracks Knuckles*

Stupid Ideas:
1.) Never had more than two pokemon on my team because I though bad things would happen.
2.) Thought that Feebas was dumb and after encountering it MANY times, I never attempted to catch one...
3.) I never got the idea of growing berries in Hoenn so I used them all up and couldn't get more.

Stupid decisions:
1.) forgot to save about 10 minutes after catching a shiny machop in Ruby. (age 7)
2.) Reset my game after getting three level 100s in Ruby (Age 7).
3.) nicknaming my oldest and still possed pokemon NASON. (Age 7) Obtained the game after the reset above... I look at it in shame every time I load up Black 2...
4.) Sold all of my games except Diamond (Age 12).
5.) Spending 3 hours in an Orthopedic office playing the gameboy in the waiting room provided by the Orthopedic center, getting a shiny starter in pokemon gold, getting called up to have an Orthodontist fit my "appliance" in, coming back to the counter to leave, and see a little boy reset the pokemon game...

xerneaslore

Stupid idea? I thought that jasmine was the gym leader of the 8th city in Platinum because you could talk to her outside the lighthouse.

Xaby

SW-3553-0104-8530
The stupidest thing I know I thought was believing that Rock-types are also weak to Ice-type attacks. I've been playing Pokémon for more than a decade now starting from Gen I, and I'm embarrassed to say that it was only very recently that a friend pointed out to me that I was wrong when we were discussing Tyrantrum. Color me embarrassed, indeed.

Griever789

The stupidest thing I know I thought was believing that Rock-types are also weak to Ice-type attacks. I've been playing Pokémon for more than a decade now starting from Gen I, and I'm embarrassed to say that it was only very recently that a friend pointed out to me that I was wrong when we were discussing Tyrantrum. Color me embarrassed, indeed.

Admitely considering ice is frozen water it would makes some amount of sense, But meh.

Xaby

SW-3553-0104-8530
Admitely considering ice is frozen water it would makes some amount of sense, But meh.

I was also going by the fact that scientifically, ice erodes rocks, better than water in fact. It should fare better against rock than ground, IMHO.

Back in G/S/C when I was 10, I always thought that Typholsion was so uber that any attack from it can faint any other pokemon. So, I kept using flamethrower and flame wheel on Clair's Kingdra and Lance's gyarados and aerodactyl despite the "It's not effective" keeps on popping up and they keep KO-ing me.

For some strange reason back then, I thought that Psychic type moves were effective against Dragon types.

AnyRandomName

Paper thin defenses
I thought:
Psychic killed Dark who killed Bug who killed Fighting who killed Normal who killed Psychic.
Lance was part of Team Rocket.

I did:
Released my full team thinking it would go into the box.
Traded my legendaries

Zorupix

Master of Illusions
I tried to evolve my Arbok into a Seviper because of that bogus 'Trainer's Choice' thing at the commercial break of one of the early episodes.

DSpanky1

Battle Hut Elite
I thought:
Psychic killed Dark who killed Bug who killed Fighting who killed Normal who killed Psychic.
Lance was part of Team Rocket.

I did:
Released my full team thinking it would go into the box.
Traded my legendaries

Isn't Lance part of Team Rocket in the Manga?

Sohryu

Be a Man!
For some strange reason back then, I thought that Psychic type moves were effective against Dragon types.

I remember using Psychic on Misdreavus thinking it'd be super-uber effective! That's because Gastly's line is part Poison, so they ARE weak to Psychic, but I always thought Ghost-types were weak to Psychic until my Kadabra failed to kill that 'Dreavus.

Ib4

Xenlon Cavalier
Isn't Lance part of Team Rocket in the Manga?

I'm pretty sure Lance is an enemy of Team Rocket under every medium (TV, Manga, Games, etc.).

When I was younger I recall seeing not one, not two, but 3 shinies (2 tentacool, 1 tentacruel) in my Leafgreen game that I never bothered to catch because I liked their standard colors better!