• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Stupid things that you thought/did with pokemon as a kid

~CallOfTheIndie~

Now on vinyl
I'm very certain that when I was little, I once caught a legendary and released it, thinking I could find it again in the wild.

I used to think so many Pokemon were legendaries. A couple that stick out include: Absol- because it didnt evolve and I just though it looked legendary.
Arcanine- Well this one was because I got its TCG card and saw it is described as "the legendary Pokemon".
Salamence- Im not sure about this one. Its probably just because I had never seen Bagon or Shelgon before and the fact it was a dragon like the Latis and Rayquaza.
Lucario- the Lucario and the Mystery of Mew movie was the sole reason I thought this. Whenever I discovered Riolu, this theory was disproven.

TheFlygon

I still am a kid (hey 13 is just the start of being a teenager after all) but hey, once I ran into a shiny on Pokemon Emerald, my first pokemon game and thought it was ill. I caught it anyway, I took it to the pokemon center thinking it would heal it's ' illness ' after that didn't work I was extremely worried about it.

WynautQueen

Pokemon Caretaker
I also didn't know that Lavender Town was supposed to be 'scary'. Provided that the whole "Lavender Town Syndrome" creepypasta stuff didn't exist until years later, the place just never struck me as "scary". I just thought that when they said Pokemon Tower was a place where trainers go to mourn the loss of their dead Pokemon they meant that's where you can go to heal your Pokemon. It also made me think that the Ghost was an actual Pokemon but you couldn't catch it.

It's not just you. I thought that Lavender Town was quaint and peaceful, and that the music was soothing. Even after reading the creepypasta I have a hard time hearing its theme as being haunting.

Master Calem

Time traveler fool
Most stupid thing ever: I thought that pokeballs started small(like when they shrink in the anime), and you could catch many pokemon with only one pokeball and then it size grows(7 years old lol)

Well, I was about 13 when I started, but I guess that counts.

- I caught every single Pokemon I came across after getting the Pokeballs. Even duplicates. I remember having to release a few later on and that kinda made me stop doing it.
- I thought Brock was impossible to beat until I figured out that you actually can train up your Pokemon to be higher level than his Pokemon. I have no idea why I even thought that.
- I used my Master Ball on a random Pidgey because, for some reason, I thought it would come back after I used it.

Tangeh

- I caught every single Pokemon I came across after getting the Pokeballs. Even duplicates. I remember having to release a few later on and that kinda made me stop doing it.

GOTTA CATCH 'EM ALL!

When I first played red when I was five, I spent such a long time on Route 1 that I thought pidgey and rattata were the only pokemon in existence besides the starters. Imagine my surprise when I finally moved past it and figured out the point of the game. >_>

Mangle

Hello
I used to think that Shadow Lugia could be transferred to Emerald, and that there was a hidden area above the Old Chateau in Diamond. I was pretty stupid as a kid.

Templeton

Banned
Dumbest thing I ever did with Pokémon? Reading Pokémon creepypasta. (Some are okay, others...)

One time I didn't have a nickname for my chimchar and re-named it chimchar. It's till had the same name at the end of the game as an Infernape. It was also the only trained pokemon on my team, and I taught it grass knot and calm mind over high-level attack moves, and kept ember till it's mid thirties.

spaceapple

Wow, some of these are so complicated!
Listen to this: the first time I turned on my blue game I COULD NOT figure out how to get out of the bedroom. How the times change...

RaichuArcanine

Hunting Sparkles
Wow, some of these are so complicated!
Listen to this: the first time I turned on my blue game I COULD NOT figure out how to get out of the bedroom. How the times change...
Don't worry, I did the exact same thing with Diamond when I was 11. Took me about an hour to figure out that those yellow things in the corner were stairs haha. Oh, and I've been playing for 7 years now and I only just learnt that Dragon does not resist Fighting
~RaichuArcanine~

Yukomov

Am Tentatively Returned!
-I used to believe that poisoning a Pokemon (with Poison Powder, Toxic, etc.) would make Psychic-type moves super-effective. (It helped justify Drowzee/Hypno getting access to them, least in my mind.)
-I fell for that whole 'Strength the truck to get Mew' thing. I kid you not.
-I used to avoid using Fire-types against Ice-types, because then I thought they'd turn into Water-types and would beat me.
-I used to think Steel-types were weak against Water/Electric attacks, and somehow convinced myself that that 'weakness' negated Ground's immunity to Electric-type attacks (looking at you, Steelix).

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
As a kid, I had no idea what 'evasion' meant, so I never paid attention to moves like Double Team and Minimize.

I'd be sitting there wondering why my pokemon's moves weren't hitting.

Magical Leaf

Kore wa nani mo imi shinai
For some reason when I first started playing (many many years ago) I would only use a Pokemon until it fully evolved, and then i'd switch it for another one in the pc.
And, of course, to this day I still hold down buttons when using a ball (Down+A for Pokeballs, Down+B for Great balls and Down+A and B for Ultra balls). It's just force of habit now.

Ketaru

And, of course, to this day I still hold down buttons when using a ball (Down+A for Pokeballs, Down+B for Great balls and Down+A and B for Ultra balls). It's just force of habit now.

I'm mentally slapping my wrist before I do that every time I am about to use a Pokeball.

Also, back in the day, I only had Pokemon Red, which I'm fairly certain did not have Caterpie. Didn't have anybody to trade with either. So I just raised a Venonat to a Venomoth, and just renamed it Butterfree. I was just a kid!

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
When I was a kid, I once thought that Munchlax was a Gen 3 Pokémon.

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
As I'm sure many others have, I started coming up with my own pokemon as a kid, but I ended up going the extra extra extra extra mile by making several generations' worth over the years.

I got so carried away that to this very day I often mistake some of them for being actual pokemon, and I have to remind myself that they aren't. Talk about embarrassing.