• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Stupid things that you thought/did with pokemon as a kid

Vernikova

Champion
I used to believe that having Horn Drill on a Pokémon would be a good idea even though I paid no attention to stats in the game. I still don't pay any attention to stats but I don't use Horn Drill at all when I do play.

-i thought that there were levels past 100
This was me even in the days of G/S.

-thought that gust was a flying type move :/
Uuuhh...it is a Flying-type move.

- In Red and Blue, I used my Master Ball on a Grimer because I thought that I could get another one.
- After seeing my cousin evolve his Kadabra and Graveler by trading, I tried to evolve my Lv. 20 Wartortle by Trading as well.
Not to make fun, but that is absolutely hilarious.

- That EV training actually meant using Eevee to upgrade your Pokemon's stats.
Also hilarious. I thought about how that might be confusing to people who've heard very little about Pokémon.

Exodd

Wanted to see what the "Release" option did and then cried when my Bellsprout disappeared. At least I didn't try that with a more rare Pokemon. Also, was stuck in Goldenrod for a while because I didn't notice the house with the spray bottle behind the gym.

MetalFlygon08

Haters Gonna Hate
Technically there are levels past 100, on glitch pokemon.

I tried some glitch where you released every non-fire type Pokemon and ou would get an Epic Charizard thing in RB, sady it didn't happen.

I knew nothing about IVs 'till gen 4. Even now I'm not sure I understand them. :p

Last edited:

natie

Mr. F
I saved all the time. Literally. After pretty much every two or three steps I made, I saved the game. Twice. Three times. Four times. And more. Just to make sure I wouldn't lose anything if I rebooted the game.

Ah, the things you do as a kid...

CuriousHeartless

I knew all the type matchup, even the more strange and uncommon ones. I knew what moves were bad, no matter how good they looked. I knew about shinies from the start. I knew every pokemon's types, it evolutionary relatives, and how to evolve it. I didn't just stick with STAb moves. I knew how every move and item worked. I never listened to the anime if it didn't seem to fit. I didn't listen to any rumors. I trained my pokemon as evenly as possible.

But, I knew nothing, and now know barely anything, about IV's, EV's, and anything related to such.

AKRy100

Shockingly electric!
- I used to try to avoid trainers because I didn't know that was what the game was about. When I came back to the same place after the E4, I found myself battling something like a level 12 gastly with my level 80 starter.
- Also, I used to only put stab moves on my pokemon unless they hadn't learnt enough moves. If a grass pokemon knew 3 grass moves and one water move and wanted to learn another grass move, I would delete the water move in favour of the grass move.

Last edited:

Vernikova

Champion
I saved all the time. Literally. After pretty much every two or three steps I made, I saved the game. Twice. Three times. Four times. And more. Just to make sure I wouldn't lose anything if I rebooted the game.

Ah, the things you do as a kid...

I actually still do this when I play. I just feel assured that if I mess something up I can restart the game and start over again.

My first Pokemon game was Gold version, and I was only 10, so I made a lot of dumb mistakes.

1. I made a lot of the one-of-a-kind Pokemon faint. Sudowoodo, Red Gyarados, etc.
2. I used a Master Ball on a Rhyhorn because I thought I could get another one.
3. I only trained my starter, Feraligatr.
4. I thought moves that did not do direct damage were pointless.
5. I thought the locked entrance to the underground cycling road in Kanto (the one going under Saffron City) was a house you unlocked with a key. In the house, you could catch the other two Johto starters. No idea where I came up with this.
6. I wasn't even aware of Celebi's existence until about a year or more later.

Ferrari94

Dark Trainer
ah the fun and stupid times we had as a kid. im glad a lot of people are posting all these stupid things that they've done that we can now all look back on and laugh about it.

another thing i just remembered that i did was when i played my first pokemon game which was gold, i think i was about 7. i dont know why i never got red/blue but oh well.
but anyway i started a new game, walked out into the town and just walked around there for probably half an hour without a clue on what to do. then later i asked my neighbour what to do and when he said that you walk out of the town...well i felt really stupid.

I thought every attack could hit every time in the games.
I pretty much didn't know that attacks had accuracies.

KKInu

I used to only train my starter
I used to think that healing at a pokemon center many times in a row gave it more HP
I didn't know that when you bred pokemon the pokemon species was the species of the mother (I thought if you bred two compatible but different species it was random which species)