• We're currently experiencing a minor issue with our email system preventing emails for new registrations and verifications going out. We're currently working to fix this
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Stupid things that you thought/did with pokemon as a kid

Well...
First: I somehow lost to Lenora with an event Fighting Legendary (Keldeo) on my team.
Second: Believed every Mew rumor. I seriously thought Mew was catchable in Pokemon White.
Third: Thinking that BubbleBeam was the best move ever because it was on Keldeo's fourth move slot. It didn't forget it until I needed Surf...

When I got Heart Gold, I chose Chikorita.
I lost to Bugsy for a YEAR while my brother was killing everyone with a Typhlosion.
Luckily my Sandshrew saved me.
Praise Sandshrew.
I managed to beat Whitney the first try though.
When I got to Ecruteak, I spent two days catching Raikou.
I actually caught it...
And caught Entei as well.
So I guess I improved.

Kelde0

Ghost Leader
I only trained my starter.
Before every gym, I would catch a whole new team, except infernape. By the time I came to the elite 4, my strategy was to send I'm my really high level infernape until he died, use revive, send him back out, and continuously reviving every Pokemon so they were alive to revive infernape, every attempt at the elite 4 required about 40 revives. I only bought poke balls and revives all game.

Fozzie

King of the Gingers
In Diamond, I called my Infernape "Chim Chim", not knowing it would evolve at all.
Inferape = In-fern-ah-PEE.
In Platinum, I tried going through the game with Dawn's team in the show. And when that didn't work, beat the game without evolving my Piplup.

SpoinkyPearl

I'm not a kid anymore, but I've played Pokémon games actively for 10 years or so and I still can't remember some type weaknesses! It's starting to be a little frustrating and it seems that I'll never learn them all. When playing at home, I usually end up asking questions like "Is Steel super effective to Poison?" and my boyfriend answers, good thing that he remembers them correctly. But I'm always like: "Is rock super effective to ice? No? Why wasn't this fighting attack super effective with this Pokémon? Ghost and poison? No idea!". I do remember usual weaknesses, like Fire-Grass or Psychic-Fighting but when it comes a little more rare type matchups, I'm at lost. Like Fighting and Poison? I actually started to wonder that when I wrote that down, and I seriously have no idea. Well, I only play in-game which is good for me because in competitive battling I would be an easy catch to anyone.

//Have to add this story I heard once. I read this from another Pokémon forum years ago, but there was someone who couldn't figure out how to get out from Viridian Forest in FR/LG. So she/he just walked around the forest and levelled his/her Bulbasaur up to Venusaur until he/she finally found a way out from the forest. True, the forest might be a bit puzzling and labyrinth-like but I don't think it's not that difficult really.

Last edited:

Thepokehustler

PokeHustler
I used to think Pikachu was a good pokemon i guess based on the anime. Not to say its a bad pokemon but its just not as good as i thought lolz, needless to say there were many better options.. i also didnt evolve it to Raichu because of how good i thought Pikachu was. Good times :)

NotABeginningTrainer

I'm not a kid anymore, but I've played Pokémon games actively for 10 years or so and I still can't remember some type weaknesses! It's starting to be a little frustrating and it seems that I'll never learn them all. When playing at home, I usually end up asking questions like "Is Steel super effective to Poison?" and my boyfriend answers, good thing that he remembers them correctly. But I'm always like: "Is rock super effective to ice? No? Why wasn't this fighting attack super effective with this Pokémon? Ghost and poison? No idea!". I do remember usual weaknesses, like Fire-Grass or Psychic-Fighting but when it comes a little more rare type matchups, I'm at lost. Like Fighting and Poison? I actually started to wonder that when I wrote that down, and I seriously have no idea. Well, I only play in-game which is good for me because in competitive battling I would be an easy catch to anyone.
When my little sister started playing she would only play if I was watching because she didn't know type match-ups very well. I eventually decided to print out a type chart for her so she could play on her own. I'm not trying to be insulting in any way, but you could keep one handy to help with the more difficult match-ups. I still do a double take before remembering certain match-ups, so you're not alone.

TheGOAT

Mac-Daddy
My first shiny to encounter was back in platinum, I was just running around with my high level pokies, lowest level was 56 pidgeot.

This was before I learned all the type matchups... My pidgeot knew all flying type moves...

I didn't even try for the shiny either, which makes me even more mad because it was my first, ever

It was a shiny machoke. Level 48. I have heard about agonies before so I knew to catch it, but little ol' me didn't realize flying was strong against fighting...

Aeriel ace taught me really quick.

SpoinkyPearl

Oh, I remembered another, rather funny one :D When I played Emerald, and Sapphire later on, I thought that Wallace had a jellyfish on his head 8D Well, if you look at his sprite art for example here, well I thought that the white hat is jellyfish's body and those blue hairs on the side of his face were tentacles :D I only kept thinking that it was weird but it also suit him pretty well since he was Water type trainer... Sadly, I don't remember how the truth eventually turned out. Maybe those older sprite arts just weren't that good or something :'D

HM02gon

Waiting...
Oh, I remembered another, rather funny one :D When I played Emerald, and Sapphire later on, I thought that Wallace had a jellyfish on his head 8D Well, if you look at his sprite art for example here, well I thought that the white hat is jellyfish's body and those blue hairs on the side of his face were tentacles :D I only kept thinking that it was weird but it also suit him pretty well since he was Water type trainer... Sadly, I don't remember how the truth eventually turned out. Maybe those older sprite arts just weren't that good or something :'D
I thought Wallace was a girl until I looked it up...last year.

SkyTheAbsol

Dark-Type Fanatic
wait that's not how you pronounce phanpy?

...welp
._. My life is a lie...

When Ruby and Sapphire were still new, a good majority of the people I played pokemon with said "Groundon" instead of "Groudon" because otherwise we'd forget it was Ground and not Fire.
And even then, we still forgot.

Tangeh

For a long time I thought that espeon evolved at night and umbreon evolved during the day. I realize this makes no sense and I always thought it was really weird. .-. Reason being I messed up the clock on my copy of Sapphire so the AM and PM were basically swapped. There was no day/night cycle so I never noticed. I got the evolutions ingrained into my mind though because I thought it was strange they were opposite of what they should be lol...

This happened when I first played Y, so it counts as recently, but I'll put it here anyway.

When I first ran into one of the legendary birds on the game (I think it was Zapdos, can't remember clearly at the moment...), when it did that sparkly effect before initiating the encounter, I though this was a new way to encounter shinies this gen.

SpoinkyPearl

I read some older posts of this topic just for fun, and I found this:

Anyway, I've done something stupid recently on AS.
I know, I know, this is a thread for stupid things we did as a kid, but it bares mentioning anyway.

I totally forgot that the Admin of Team Aqua was named Archie.
Guess what I stupidly named my player.
And I have to admit I've done the exactly same thing in my SoulSilver about 5 years ago :D I named main character Karen, since I thought she looked like Karen... and guess who come against me in the Pokémon League? And I was like "This can't be happening ._." since I hadn't looked before who are the members of Elite 4 in HGSS. It is also funny how league-Karen says something like "What's you name? Karen? How amusing." and it IS amusing really 8D I restarted the game later on, and this time I managed to avoid this failure.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
Once I even thought that Eevee evolved into Leafeon using the Leaf Stone, which was really stupid. But when I knew how Eevee evolved into Glaceon, I was proven that the nonexistent Leaf Stone method was wrong.

Tin-Man

Professional Trouble
I used to think that type advantage was rendered moot if my Pokemon was a higher level. I then proceeded to get creamed but the Elite Four in Blue. Also, I used to think that when Oak's aids gave you items in exchange for how many different Pokemon you had, it was referring to the total number of Pokemon you caught, not the number of different species of Pokemon. Getting Flash was a pain in the *** for a nine-year-old.

xDarkNeko

Back when I had Emerald, I thought Pheobe was a water type trainer.
I thought you could get the gold symbol after beating the frontier brain only once.
I thought Lucario was dark and fighting instead.
I thought Staraptor was fighting and flying too. xD

stupid stuff?

Everyone at my school calls me stupid for completing pokestar studios, and for using Dunsparce frequently, and for taking a Magikarp at level 100 into the elite 4 and planning to use it, catching Giritina in a nest ball, not using a Max revive when you're in the middle of a battle and your down to the level 1 riolu (Thank god the Brozong missed. Riolu knocked its small hp out with iron tail. ) Hm..oh! Thinking that ground was super-effective against ice (I had a level 65 Toreterra going up against Candice.), tyring to kill a steel type with a pokemon that knew all poisin type moves. Letting my brother play my game, etc...