• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Stupid things that you thought/did with pokemon as a kid

Brutha

Asides from the obvious "only using your starter" thing almost everyone did in their first game (Bulbasaur in Blue for me), I also dumped a Pidgey in the Cerulean daycare the first time I went past it and didn't pick it up again until the E4 (level 52, iirc) and never realised dual-types existed until GSC. In fact for years I thought that dual-types were a new feature introduced in gen II and that everything was monotyped in gen I.

xDWarrior

I used to think that the Ho-Oh in the first episode of Pokemon was Fearow. I mean it would make sense, seeing as I don't think there was second generation yet at that time. I also believed in all of the myths surrounding the first games. Oaks garden behind bills house always fascinated me. I also believed the strength-on-the-truck thing, even going so far as to faint on the SS Anne so it wouldn't sail away and coming back later when I had strength and surf to try it. Boy was I angry when I thought my game just didn't work.

Blaze The Movie Fan

Reviewer and PokéFan
I used to think that the Ho-Oh in the first episode of Pokemon was Fearow. I mean it would make sense, seeing as I don't think there was second generation yet at that time.

Since you weren't aware of the existence of the other generations at the time, I don't think it's stupid at all.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
I once thought that the 'Weather' Rocks were introduced in Gen 5 because there was a Parasol Lady that gave them out and the one she gave out depended on the time of day and as I tried out the Battle Factory in Gen 4, I saw a Heat Rock, which proved me wrong. Then I found out you can get them in the Underground or in the Pokéwalker and didn't use these much in depth.

When I was younger, I thought that Swablu was the pre-evolution of Drifblim, as it was the first pre-D/P Sinnoh Regional Dex I saw, and Drifloon was the only Pokemon left for me to see before I could advance through the Fight Area.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
Once thought that Slowbro evolved into Slowking. But I checked a source and found that Slowpoke either evolved into Slowbro or Slowking.

Ascended Dialga

I repeatedly made the mistake of thinking that Magnemite's evolution line has Levitate.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
I once thought Flygon was a pseudo-legendary but was proved wrong because it didn't have 600 BST.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
It was quite recent but thought Cradily's eyes were the top circles or whirls at the top of the head but by checking ORAS move animations, I found that Cradily's eyes were in fact, two apart dots in a black space on its head.

Synnett

Stuff
When I was young, I thought that Geodude evolved into Onix. So I trained it until it evolved into a Graveler, then I realized that it evolved into a Golem. I then proceeded to train it up to level 89.

Locormus

Can we please get the older, old forum back?
When I was young, I thought that Geodude evolved into Onix. So I trained it until it evolved into a Graveler, then I realized that it evolved into a Golem. I then proceeded to train it up to level 89.

Ouch! :p

Not going to lie, but I kept trying to get a Togepi in Red.. Animé effed my head up real good.. xD

That, and a Charizard with the epic moveset of Ember, Flamethrower, Dragon Rage and Overheat. Did not know what I was doing.. Yeah, that was in LeafGreen, which makes it worse..

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
When I was fairly young, I thought Lugia was Water-Flying type rather than the correct Psychic-Flying type.

Locormus

Can we please get the older, old forum back?
When I was fairly young, I thought Lugia was Water-Flying type rather than the correct Psychic-Flying type.

Who didn't?! Beast of the SEA! xD

I remember those days.. The time where we only knew of seven legendary pokémon in all.. The birds, Mewtwo and Mew, this epic new thing called Lugia and probably that weird bird at the beginning of the series..

DarkraiMiestro

something or other
I was 10, and it was a warm summer's day. Me and my sister were playing SoulSilver, not doing much in particular. I ran through the grass, and there it was. A shiny Graveller, my first shiny apart from the lake of rage Gyrados. Had a master ball, but instead used a great ball like a fool. 2 shakes, and it failed. The wild Graveller used Self-Destruct! Of course it had to be the rare Graveller without Sturdy, didn't it?

Y-Pestis

Taking it slooooooow
Way back when, younger me found a shiny Miltank while playing Crystal. I was smart enough to know what a shiny was, but still dumb enough that I saved over the file without a second thought when I decided I wanted to restart. Younger me also had no clue how to get through Morty's gym. I actually had to ask some school friends for help and they went on to tell me about Missingno. Was the first time I'd heard about it xD

Smobble

MH4U <3
Running into a shiny!

As a kid I was playing Pokemon Sapphire. My name was Captain as I haven't found a clever name yet for games and what not. Well as I was progressing in the game I ran into many Poochyena. One appeared yellow/gold so I decided to capture the guy because I thought it was because a male or female difference. So I basically caught my first shiny as a result of thinking it was because of a sex diffenerce.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
As a kid I was playing Pokemon Sapphire. My name was Captain as I haven't found a clever name yet for games and what not. Well as I was progressing in the game I ran into many Poochyena. One appeared yellow/gold so I decided to capture the guy because I thought it was because a male or female difference. So I basically caught my first shiny as a result of thinking it was because of a sex diffenerce.

I had a similar thing that happened to me but I was worse off. Once, I actually thought that female Hippopotas was a shiny Hippopotas.

Tricksie

Splendid Collector
This was way back when red and blue came out, but I had no idea how to buy Pokeballs, and got up to Surge with a Venusaur. It was then my neighbor saw me playing and showed me how to buy some. He also had to teach me how to leave buildings since I didn't get that the carpet was the exit.

Aside from that for a long time I thought Slugma was also a gen 3 Pokemon.

Britney123

I remember being furious my Magby hadn't evolved at level 28 like I thought it would when I first played Gold!

And I've still got yellow, never completed it, and it had on my team a level 30 Pikachu, Charmeleon Wartortle and Ivysaur at L28 a Dewgong at level 40 and a Hitmonlee at Level 40 and I was lost in victory road lmao

I also remember thinking Skarmory must be a legend because I never found it in G/S/C