• Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Stupid things that you thought/did with pokemon as a kid

RapidashRocks524

Want Mega Rapidash!
I put Cut on Entei when I caught it in Crystal. I subsequently re-thought my life.

I absolutely hate the move Cut. I had to waste a move slot on Meganium for it. At least HMs are actually useful in battle and used quite a bit overworld, but cut is just a terrible move and is used only a few times overworld.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
Always teaching my fully evolved starter Pokémon Hyper Beam because I thought it was the most powerful move and I was totally unaware of STAB at that time.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
As a kid, I always thought that you couldn't beat the Elite Four without using a Legendary, even if all party Pokémon are Lv 100.

Thibideau

Beautiful Midnight
When I was kid I actually made a Pokemon board game from scratch. The idea was that you were trying to form a Pokemon Gang. You had to hire different types of people, and since I was a kid they were like Ninja's and stuff. You then had to go Pokemon hunting to get pokemon to equip on you gang and yourself. Then there was this map of a city and the idea was that each turn you could capture more of the city by having a bigger gang with more pokemon. If you were trying to have a gang member capture a point occupied by another gang then you would have to battle. I had rules where there could be multiple people gangsters involved in a battle so that you could defend or attack with multiple gang members. There was even rules to have the Gang members themselves fight. It was sort of a RPG strategy-ish type game.

I haven't thought of that game for years >> I wish I was still that creative.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
Always believing in Mewthree rumors and spending tireless hours trying to find it. I remember it being so painful until I realised it didn't exist in game.

mfish139

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
I had absolutely no idea what the Speed stat was as a kid and assumed that the higher it is, the more likely its moves will miss.

RDSP

I used to think that friendship levels were difficult, maybe impossible to retain after use of a herb, thus to this very day I don't use herbs at all.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
I used to think that friendship levels were difficult, maybe impossible to retain after use of a herb, thus to this very day I don't use herbs at all.

I have also been quite stupid with friendship as a kid, too. I thought that friendship increased based on how long it has been in the team ever since it was caught, not step based.

RDSP

I have also been quite stupid with friendship as a kid, too. I thought that friendship increased based on how long it has been in the team ever since it was caught, not step based.

This is also what I thought when it came to friendship. They had to be in the team and walking around did nothing at all. In fact, I only learned of the fact that friendship increases by walking around literally about a week ago :/

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
This is also what I thought when it came to friendship. They had to be in the team and walking around did nothing at all. In fact, I only learned of the fact that friendship increases by walking around literally about a week ago :/

Maybe that seemed to explain why it seemed that it was difficult to increase friendship. I think I learned of it more than 5 years ago. :p

Last edited:

The Master Chief

I remember being so frustrated when trying to evolve Pokémon with friendship when I was younger because, at the time, I thought friendship was based off the number of battles you had with that pokémon. Oh the time and energy I would've saved if I knew that wasn't the case.

RDSP

I remember being so frustrated when trying to evolve Pokémon with friendship when I was younger because, at the time, I thought friendship was based off the number of battles you had with that pokémon. Oh the time and energy I would've saved if I knew that wasn't the case.
I actually used to think something similar; I thought that friendship would raise when the Pokémon was used to battle.

Cometstarlight

What do I do now?
I actually used to think something similar; I thought that friendship would raise when the Pokémon was used to battle.

Wait, that's not how friendship works? Well dang. I thought it was based on how many levels were gained between capture and present, along with battles and vitamins. LOL I learned something today.

Pokemon_Veteran

Poké Sage
One of the dumbest things I did was catch Missingno. It did weird things to my game, like making Mr. Mime immune to ghost-type attacks. Of course I didn't realize why until long after the fact.
Side note, I am curious if I can reverse it in a similar way which the thought itself is stupid.

The Master Chief

I remember one time when I just got Pearl version, a friend told me that when using the pc box, you can press release and that pokemon would walk around with you like in HG/SS. Thankfully, I only released a Kricketot.