• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Stupid things that you thought/did with pokemon as a kid

Jirachi100

Kirby Fan
I used to think that Togepi was the most powerful Pokemon ever but it was just hiding it.

When I saw it use what I think was Metronome on the show, It made me think it had some kind of hidden powers. This was before I had any of the games, so with no one telling Togepi a move to use, I had no idea what it had done.

Edit: I remembered something else. I used to think Lucario was a legendary Pokemon. When I knew better, I learned this was a common mistake for some people due to it starring in a movie.

Last edited:

SebastiaanZ

Back in Pokemon Red/Blue, when Wrap or Bind (don't remember) was continuous for a few turns and you could not select a different Pokemon, I used that attack with an Onix on a Pidgey. It missed, but it kept going forever and ever. Eventually I just turned off the Gameboy setting my save game an hour back, including an evolved Machamp... :(

So this is one I literally just remembered now.

So, in RSEORAS, you might remember how the soot mechanic was there, yes? And you might also remember the NPC who, if I recall, says, 'Today's technology is a wonderful thing! Take this soot here. It can be fashioned into glass.' Here's the thing- I was an over-literal idiot as a kid. Still am. So, rather than thinking he was saying along the lines of 'for instance', I thought he literally gave me a few units of soot every time I talked to him. Instead of actually collecting it, I'd repeatedly talk to him, thinking that would work instead.

What's worse is that it took me until I played ORAS for the first time to think, 'I don't think he's actually giving me soot.' And I was seventeen when it came out. Even worse? I'd played Sapphire a few months before that and still thought it.

Conquering Storm

Driver of the Aegis
I remember how when I started playing Alpha Sapphire (yes, that was the first main series game I played), I literally rotated every Pokémon I caught through my party for reasons that are completely opaque to my current self. This led to such things as my entire team getting steamrolled by someone's Lv. 10 Marill on Route 116. And yet, for some reason, I still didn't settle on a permanent team until I reached Mauville City.

Also, the first few times I played through Poképark 2, at the point where you fight Sigilyph, I would hand the remote over to my sister, then go hide under my bed until she told me that the ending was over. Yeah...I was a pretty huge scaredy-cat back then.

Last edited:

SebastiaanZ

This one always happened to me because my brother (back in the Red/Blue time) didn't know how to go to the Rock Tunnel and he didn't want to bother to use Flash. So what happened was that each time he arrived at the part of the Rock Tunnel, I had to walk his character through there, why? Because I could walk the character through without using Flash (yeah I kinda remembered exactly how to walk and where to walk and avoid most trainers, I probably can still do it). When he called me I had to drop everything for him otherwise he would go crying...

Kennith

Banned
Thinking Ralts and Trapinch didn't evolve because of a handbook that said that they don't evolve.

Conquering Storm

Driver of the Aegis
When I first got Poképark Wii, I thought Sharpedo evolved into Wailord because they both lived in the Beach Zone and Wailord was after Sharpedo in the Poképark Pad.

And I only got the idea of "hey, maybe I shouldn't teach HMs to my main team" a month ago. Thankfully, I took Dive, Waterfall, and Fly off my Latias long before that.

Edit: Oh, yes, I also thought that N was a girl the first time I saw a picture of him. Got robbed of that delusion soon enough.

Edit #2: Forgot some stuff and didn't want to have three posts out of ten, so...

When I found my first ever shiny, a Machop, I used Leech Seed on it. Thankfully, I caught it before it died.

I used to be mildly scared of Super Training and Pokémon-Amie. I really need to re-EV train my Latias...

Until very recently, I thought Psychic resisted Fairy.

Also used to think that Suicune was Ice-type. Well, it makes more sense than it being Water...and it matches up with the legendary birds...oh, who am I kidding?

One that's also fairly recent: I was playing Y, training somewhere, and the Pokémon I was battling put my Pyroar to sleep. So I tried to wake her up with a Berry, but it didn't work. I kept on using Berries, until eventually she woke up on her own. It was only after the battle that I realized... I was using Aspear Berries, rather than the Chesto Berries I should have been using.

This one wasn't me, but...once I was playing Y while my sister was watching. I encountered a female Hippopotas on Route 9, and my sister asked, "Is that shiny?"

I still pronounce a lot of Pokémon names "incorrectly", because I just can't process the apparently correct pronunciations. However, I no longer pronounce Gyarados "Guy-air-uh-dos" or Drifblim "Dribflim".

Last edited:

Sprinter1988

The most obvious?
Back in the days of Red and Blue:
Having a Raichu that knew Thundershock, Thunderbolt, Thunder and Thunder Wave.
Having a Blastoise that knew Water Gun, BubbleBeam, Surf and Hydro Pump
Having a Charizard that knew Flamethrower, Fire Spin and Fire Blast.

rmctagg09

Wandering Researcher
  • Not understanding STAB
  • Only training my starter and the box legend and abandoning everyone else, which came back to bite me when I faced Red in Gold.

Conquering Storm

Driver of the Aegis
I actually started doing the whole "mash A for higher catch rate" last night after I noticed that a lot of people on here said it seems to work, and it actually does seem to work if I'm not using a Quick Ball.

Taught my Absol Flamethrower, even though I understood the difference between physical and special moves.

Thought status moves were useless.

Freaked out and ran away from Zapdos after it KOed one of my Pokémon. Did not save before the battle.

For some reason, I used to think that the Tynamo family had Wonder Guard as their Hidden Ability.

Thought that Slugma, Magcargo, Skarmory, and the Shinx family were Gen III.

Replaced my Flygon's Crunch with Rock Smash. Then, when I went to the Move Reminder, I discovered that only Trapinch learns that move.

Got rid of my Normalize Delcatty's Foresight in favor of either Flash or Secret Power (don't remember which). See above.

For some reason, I have trouble remembering whether or not I've saved, so I tend to save twice before quitting the game.

Used to think that Mummy's ability change was permanent.

Whenever I go through Chargestone Cave in White 2, I have to keep reminding myself that, no, Joltik does not have Static.

Not long ago, I was releasing a ton of breedject Ralts, and it was only when I went back to look again that I realized that one of the Ralts I'd released was one I'd had since early in the game and had been my first Master Rank Contest winner. Au revoir, Guinevere...

Oh, and just to clarify, I started playing the core series games last November. I was 13 at the time. So not much of the stuff I've posted on here is something I did "as a kid".

Last edited:

Meillquei

Keeper of Slurpuffs
When I was younger, I didn't understand the mechanics behind Hyper Beam.

So one time I was playing Pokemon Stadium and a Dragonite used Hyper Beam.

I got super flustered when the game said that Dragonite needed a turn to recharge because I had no clue why.

Celestial Moth

Guardian of the Tree of Time
I pretty much considered and thought that Tauros and chansey were legendary pokemon that only could appear in the safari zone... lol..
I played pokemon Red as a kid and i spent hours trying to catch chansey in the safari zone and i never did in pokemon red...

Lykouros

Sandslash fan
When I started Pokemon Diamond, I got lost on the second route. ...Hence why I had an Infernape by the first gym. Movepool was and still is Flame Wheel/Ember/Rock Smash/Mach Punch.

I did this too, but in the original Ruby. I got stuck in Dewford town because I couldn't figure out how to get back to Slateport. This resulted in having a level 40 Swampert before I got to the third gym.

kawaiiconcept

TOP OF THE MORNIN'
I only started playing fairly recently (xyORAS)
but I learned quickly.
I do remember trying to train some pokemon and then looking up if they evolve ....
also not realizing I had a box so I didn't catch many pokemon.
I traded my original xerneas for something stupid. can't remember what

TyLogic

I might sound stupid but...
I used to think that if you trained shuckle to level 50 and then gave it a fire stone, it would evolve into torkoal.