• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Stupid things that you thought/did with pokemon as a kid

Quilava42

Blazing Flowers
Me only raising my starter to level 100 and not raising the other Pokemon I caught.

Divine Retribution

Conquistador de pan
I think the stupidest thing I ever thought was that I needed to be the best in any given situation. Definitely the most important thing I've learned on this site is that I'm not actually all that good at the game, whether it be competitive or otherwise. Sure, I get along, I can attain decent ratings on Showdown and build reasonably solid teams, but there will always be someone better than I, and I can always do better myself. I used to feel the need to be the best in every situation, and Serebii among other places has taught me that that's not only an unrealistic but an unhealthy and egotistic goal.

I'll admit it was quite jarring at first to realize that not only was I not nearly as good as I thought I was, but in the long run that realization allowed to to learn everything I know today (which admittedly still isn't much compared to many others). I guess it's simply the Dunning-Kruger effect, where those who think that they're the best at anything are very rarely all that good compared to their peers. I think it's ignorance of this fact that leads to elitism and arrogance, while acknowledgement and accommodation of this fact leads to the best personal growth in nearly any circumstance, not just Pokemon but life as well.

The thought that there was more than one master ball in the game, excluding lottery.

Used my first on a Golbat *facepalm*

ForteXIII

Hoenn Veteran
All of these posts gave me such a flood of nostalgia! Here's my tale of stupidity:

As a kid, I had no idea of type-effectiveness above the main three: Fire, Water, and Grass. This snowballed in my first play of Ruby with my over-leveled Sceptile being completely ineffective against Phoebe. My Sceptile only knew HMs and False Swipe, and the rest of my team was under leveled, so I reset my whole adventure thinking that Grass-types couldn't do anything to Ghosts!

epistemophiliac

Elfin Meanderer
When I first played my very first Pokemon game, Pokemon Crystal, it took me ages to figure out that the rectangular mat was actually the door; I spent quite a bit of time walking around my room in the game thinking "this is the most boring game ever". haha
Or in that same first play-through, I wasn't sure what "RUN" meant so I was always afraid to press it. As a result I ended up with a Typhlosion fairly early on in the game, and I constantly got frustrated with wild Pokemon fainting my party.
And it took me the loooongest time to get past that stupid Sudowoodo between Goldenrod and Violet City; gahh.... I still have ill sentiments about that.

I still have some 'stupidity' over Pokemon, though: I always refuse to evolve my Misdreavus because it's my favorite Pokemon and I kinda dislike Mismagius, at least appearance-wise. XD

Dismal

I didn't understand what Pokerus was and I would restart the game whenever I learned that my Pokemon had it. It saying "infected" made me think it was bad. I actually encountered Pokerus at least three times when I was younger and didn't know what it was.

kawaiiconcept

TOP OF THE MORNIN'
I didn't understand what Pokerus was and I would restart the game whenever I learned that my Pokemon had it. It saying "infected" made me think it was bad. I actually encountered Pokerus at least three times when I was younger and didn't know what it was.

wait...
what is pokerus?

wobbanut

Team Awesome
wait...
what is pokerus?

Pokerus is like a virus but it's actually beneficial to your pokemon. If your pokemon catches it, its stats will increase better. It lasts for two days then wears off on its own, but you can keep the pokerus going indefinitely by keeping affected pokemon in the computer. You can get it by attacking wild pokemon, but won't know if the pokemon passed on pokerus until you visit the pokemon center.

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
With the first games, I used to think that the back of the Trainer shown before and after a battle was some weirdly drawn duck. I kept watching kids play this game on their GB and seeing what appeared to be a duck sitting. You can't blame me because this was before the GBC and Yellow came out and on the original GB, the top of the hat looks like a duck's head and the hat's bill looks like a duck's bill and the arm looked like the tail. I can't be the only one who thought this.

Torracat

With the first games, I used to think that the back of the Trainer shown before and after a battle was some weirdly drawn duck. I kept watching kids play this game on their GB and seeing what appeared to be a duck sitting. You can't blame me because this was before the GBC and Yellow came out and on the original GB, the top of the hat looks like a duck's head and the hat's bill looks like a duck's bill and the arm looked like the tail. I can't be the only one who thought this.
Speaking of weirdly drawn things... In the original games, the staircase in your bedroom? Could have sworn it was a bookcase.

Ascended Dialga

When I was a kid, I thought Fury Attack was called "Furry Attack" :p

Echo Nacyl

Level 86 Growlithe. Somehow I had this derpy idea in my head that Fire Stone/Water Stone/Thunderstone were exclusively for evolving Pikachu and Eevee. I blame the show.

Izanagi777

Let's see..

- In Fire Red/Leaf Green, i don't evolved my Pikachu because i'm afraid that it will be upset if i use the thunderstone (just like in the anime)

- This ones is still happen from times to times, due to my OCD and "save the best for last" nature, i usually never use any master ball in almost any generation (i thought the only time i use it is for Mewtwo in FR/LG and Deoxys in ORAS Delta Episode).. It's mainly because i felt that it's a wasted if i use the master ball to the legendary pokemon in the respective region (like Dialga, Reshiram, Xerneas, etc) because i thought that if i save beforehand and i failed to capture it i can restart it anyway.. And if i use it to the roaming pokemon (which is pretty hard to caught due to their nature), i won't be satisfied since i want all trio to have the same pokeball (for e.g if i caught zapdos with ultra ball, then i have to caught both moltres and articuno with ultra ball as well), stupid i know..

- I don't even know what's the different between Attack and special attack nor i do understand about STAB until i played Pokemon Heart Gold.. The things that made me realize is how my Gyarados's Surf is weak compare to it's Waterfall while Surf power was 95 while Waterfall was 80.. And despite all of this, i actually managed to finished Fire Red, Emerald, Diamond, and Platinum before..

Pokemoncoders

Gotta Cheat E'm All
Hmm. Here's mine.

As a kid, I don't pay attention on items, attacks and completing missions. My goal is catch strong Pokemon and battle, battle, battle. My favorite Pokemon is Abra because of the teleport. LOL.

Jason3b93

- I used to choose my pokémon's attack by how cool their name sound.
- I thought that after you finished Pokémon Red, your game would automatically update to Gold.
- I thought that the elite four would have pokémon at level 100, so I overgrinded A LOT. Only my Charizard got to level 100, but the others were level 80 something.
- I thought that using potions was a cheat and that only I knew how to do it.
- I thought that Entei had something to do with Arcanine.

xbubs

my first pokemon encounter was in third grade when my friend gave me some pokemon cards, because literally everyone had them, and i had two different pikachus and one buneary. i made a comic series on flipnote hatena about a love triangle where buneary had to pick between the two pikachus. definitely cringe worthy.

octoboy

I Crush Everything
Ahh man, that gives me memories.

Like one adult asking my sister about the "girl throwing bombs" at the beginning of each battle. It was a bit hard to properly explain the concept of a poké ball to him. That and my grandpa asking me what the "thing with all the beaks" was and gesturing to my swampert (I guess its gills look a bit beak-y from behind). My sister's done this too, I was once having a battle on the gamecube with my cousin and I had a luvdisc whose health was in the red, and my sister told my cousin to "please faint that thumb-thumb, the noise it's making is hurting my ears". Anyone else remember Spy Kids?

I've probably misinterpreted pokémons' anatomies a couple of times myself. It took me a while to realize chansey's mouth wasn't its nose (I pictured it having a nose like a rabbit, and its chin being its mouth).