• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Stupid things that you thought/did with pokemon as a kid

TheExploud29

pokemon veteran
I traded my LV 100 Girantina for a LV 51 Garchomp in Platinum because I couldn't find a Gabite

I also never knew the pc existed :p young me was dumb

I also believed that if I left my DS on all night with mystery gift on I would eventually get an event. I thought I would be smart and have it charge so it wouldn't go dead but all I got was the words no gift found burnt into my screen when I checked it the next day

Last edited by a moderator:

Pyukumuku

In Diamond I used my master ball on the eastern shellos cuz I thought it was shiny.
In conjuncture with that, I thought releasing pokemon gave you their pokeball back.
I grew up playing FR/LG, so when I played Red I thought the game was glitched cuz I couldn't go to the Sevii islands, so I sold it to a friend for 5$
I didn't even pay attention to stats, I thought they were just for flavour, so I used pokemon like Dragonite and Charizard as special attackers and I actually tried a Sneazel as a Tank because I thought ghost was strong against dark and it took little damage from Gaspar (.E.I. betrayal in a trade),

Omegagoldfish

My will be done
When I first started playing, I thought HP was the only stat. I also had no clue about status moves.

Placing my finger over the DS charger hole and feeling very determined whenever I tried to catch something in the hope that my emotions would make it work.

I was dumb.

octoboy

I Crush Everything
One misconception I had earlier on was that mud slap (and other moves with "mud" in them) was part water type. I remember seeing it being super effective on a fire type and figuring it was because mud had water in it, so mud slap must be a water/ground move. I was genuinely surprised the first time I saw earthquake cause super-effective damage on a fire type.

I guess it would take the games a while before they implemented dual-typed moves.

JohnnyBlaze

Shiny Hunter
I had heard when I was younger that an adamant natured Pokémon was good (which is true) but I didn't understand nature's at all so EVERY Pokémon I had HAD to be adamant (like Latios and Alakazam, etc.)

Last edited:

satopi

Life doesn’t end, …it changes.
When I was very young, I kept calling some real life animals Pokémon names.
For example: Caterpillar = Caterpie, mouse: "That looks like Ratata!", pony: Ponyta

Also, I thought mating Ditto with another Pokémon (I think it was supposed to be a Legendary like Mew) would produce Mewtwo. Or was it another Ditto? I also thought that I was actually talking to Pikachu even without the Pika Mic when I was playing Hey You Pikachu! It was because of the immense bond we shared.

Ereshkigal

I thought I only needed to use one Pokemon for fighting. This was back in Generation 1. I started with a Bulbasaur.

Surprisingly, this actually worked.

satopi

Life doesn’t end, …it changes.
I thought I only needed to use one Pokemon for fighting. This was back in Generation 1. I started with a Bulbasaur.

I still have the nagging feeling that it's required to catch the regional bird/beginner Pokémon.

Zold

Pokémon Breeder
- I thought if I kept randomly walking through grass I'd surely encounter Mew one day
- Did the same for Celebi in Ilex Forest
- Tried the Truck a thousand times
- Went to the space center every day hoping the rocket would launch
- I would challenge literally everyone I saw to battle, boys, girls, adults and just anyone. It's kinda cool but gosh, my sister hated me at times when her friends were over...
- I convinced myself I saw a Ho-Oh IRL. (yes I really believed this untill I was like 14)
- Sometimes I'd sneak downstairs at night to see if the TV would secretly air a new or secret episode in the night (no idea why I thought they would, but I did)

Then of course, some of the usual stuff like giving HM's or bad moves, but hey that's just a learning process.

Me, too, actually. I only used my starter up until Generation 5 came out, when I decided that I wanted to create a proper team.

Not for me. I only really started to have an okay time against the Elite 4 when I created full teams.

Superteletubbies64

MAHINA-PEEEAAA!!!
Oh when I started playing I was a complete n00b. There were two stupid mistakes I made and held onto them all the way to the Elite Four.

First of all, I thought status moves sucked and always replaced them with offensive moves.

Secondly, I didn't know type coverage was a thing so I just had three moves of the same type as the Pokemon and one Normal-type move on them or something. Like a Samurott with Surf, Waterfall, Hydro Cannon and False Swipe. And I also managed to raise that to lv 100.

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer
Not something that I thought was a kid, but something I thought that was stupid in general. Since I couldn't tell the Team Skull themes apart, I thought that Plumeria and Guzma had the same battle theme as the grunts. I didn't find out that Plumeria and Guzma had their own themes into I listened to the music on YouTube.

lemoncatpower

Cynical Optimist
I remember playing Red trying to beat the league 20times in a row without turning off the game to try and "unlock" the "car" instead of the bike. Obviously I failed, not sure when I learned it wasn't actually a thing, but I know I just gave up before knowing.

Mashing buttons for captures, but I still do it. It feels so empty if I'm not smashing my DS while the pokemon is being captured. I almost feel like if I press A repeatedly is the same as me keeping my hand on the pokeball so it doesn't burst open lol. Stupid, I know.

I always thought Togepi was the first stage of Aerodactyl, I was surprised when Togepi evolved into Togetic and not Aerodactyl in my gold... although I loved togetic endlessly back then.

I used to capture pokemon and have them represent members of my family and whoever I was crushing on (this was around when ruby and spphire came out and five members of my family and my crush makes six). That was fun and it's something I still do to this day but not nearly as often or strictly.

Back when I was about 6ish I used to play with pokemon toys with this old friend (can't remember his name even lol) but basically his mom used to babysit my sister and I. Everyday I used to steal one of his pokemon toys until he noticed a bunch missing and I had to apologize and give them all back. Well they thought so, because I kept a few and still have them... God I was a bad kid. You can trust me now to play with your pokemon toys and not steal them though, I have morals now :D

My best friend and I, growing up, used to always get the different versions. In the beginning with silver and gold I used to INSIST that he had to catch ALL the opposite pokemon of mine and we would battle. He always seemed to be into the idea, but I feel bad now remembering making him use a certain pokemon. He was younger than me and as you can see from my above statement, I wasn't the best kid. When I say opposite pokemon I mean like I'd catch Nidoran boy and he'd get the girl and so on. Also I remember not saying this, but I used to get annoyed if he used pokemon that I thought were too cool for him too. Trust me that I am not like this anymore and I have learned from that.

I also specifically remember always thinking fire was super effective against poison. ALWAYS thought Charizard was the perfect counter to Nidoqueen and Nidoking... If whoever I was battling on pokemon stadium chose first, I'd always choose Charizard to counter their nidos, if chosen.

Last edited:

AmethystLeslie

Back in my noob days (as in, age of 17 and starting out with Pokemon X), I once believed that Scyther was introduced in Gen 2, and Scizor in Gen 4.

I also was stupid enough to believe a rumor that giving tips to people in XY gave me an increased chance of finding shinies. Maybe that wasn't too wrong, since I found a lot a shinies for a non-hunter in 3 years.

My first pokemon, Delphox, at some points learned Cut and Blast Burn. When taking it online, I would also slap a Power Herb in the belief that it removed the recharging turn of Blast Burn. Guess that would've been cool if it actually worked like that.

BC_Guy

Determined Collector
- When I first played Ruby as a kid, I killed Groudon and saved without knowing that you couldn't recatch legendaries.
- I used to think Absol, Rotom, Volcarona were legendaries.
- I believed in the Mossdeep space station rumor where you could eventually board a rocket, go to space, and catch Deoxys.
- I thought if you spotted Mirage Island, you could obtain a Jirachi egg.
- I thought Kingdra and Skarmory were Gen III Pokemon.
- In FireRed I thought you could catch the other two legendary beasts by solving a puzzle in the Tanoby Ruins.
- When news of Gen IV was first coming out, I believed a rumor in school that you would be able to join Team Rocket and steal Pokemon for money.
- Pressing A when a Pokeball shakes would increase the catch rate (I have a habit of doing this even today).
- Recently, I was unaware that Minior has different colors (thought it was only pink). When I got a green Minior through wonder trade, I thought it was a shiny.

Last edited: